PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft installing new HD videoboards, plus adding RedZone TVs and possibly handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kraft installing new HD videoboards, plus adding RedZone TVs and possibly handhel

Purchase of a PSL is a one-time buy that allows you to control the rights to buy tickets for the seats covered by the PSL. It is not a ticket purchase. Perhaps the Chicago Bears can explain it better to both of you, since you seem to be missing the differences:

Seat-specific PSL questions and answers - Chicago Bears

Knowing this, and understanding it, has nothing to do with mortgages and closing costs, and it has nothing to do with being contrarian. Rob and McColby brought up PSLs, not I. PSLs are separate from ticket price. If you have a problem with this basic fact of commerce, take it up with Rob, McColby, the Chicago Bears, and anyone who sells PSLs on top of selling game tickets. A PSL is a sleazy way to milk more money out of a customer base, IMO, but that's not relevant here, either.
The Bears are one example of a team that makes some season tickets available to non-PSL holders. Among those places that have PSL's, most season tickets do require the purchase of a PSL. In addition those season tickets that are available without the purchase of a PSL tend to be less desirable.

So technically yes, you are right, you win; you found a place where you can buy season tickets without buying a PSL. Congratulations.

Point remains that stadiums that have PSL's do require you to purchase the PSL in order to purchase season tickets for many specific seats. In those cases the cost of the PSL should be figured in for those seats when comparing ticket prices to other stadiums that do not have PSL's.

Re: Kraft installing new HD videoboards, plus adding RedZone TVs and possibly handhel

The Bears are one example of a team that makes some season tickets available to non-PSL holders. Among those places that have PSL's, most season tickets do require the purchase of a PSL. In addition those season tickets that are available without the purchase of a PSL tend to be less desirable.

So technically yes, you are right, you win; you found a place where you can buy season tickets without buying a PSL. Congratulations.

Point remains that stadiums that have PSL's do require you to purchase the PSL in order to purchase season tickets for many specific seats. In those cases the cost of the PSL should be figured in for those seats when comparing ticket prices to other stadiums that do not have PSL's.

1.) There's no "technically" about it, and it's not about winning. It's just the way it is. As I noted earlier, I wasn't the one who first brought up the PSLs.

2.) A PSL is irrelevant to a single game ticket price. It's a separate purchase. I don't see what's so difficult about this for some of you to grasp.

3.) The entire upper level is available without PSLs for Jets fans, too, just as another example. The PSLs aren't even handled uniformly, for goodness' sakes.

You jumped in on something and were wrong with what you said. Just leave it at that.

Last edited:

How am I going to leave early?

You can bribe a security guard with some wine and cheese to let you out the emergency exit. ;)

1.) There's no "technically" about it, and it's not about winning. It's just the way it is. As I noted earlier, I wasn't the one who first brought up the PSLs.

2.) A PSL is irrelevant to a single game ticket price. It's a separate purchase. I don't see what's so difficult about this for some of you to grasp.
And, as usual, Deus Irae is right and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone else is wrong. How can you people not grasp that..?!? :rolleyes:
3.) The entire upper level is available without PSLs for Jets fans, too, just as another example. The PSLs aren't even handled uniformly, for goodness' sakes.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but those upper level seats are sold out, but the lowers aren't. So it kinda damages your contention that the cost of PSL's and the cost of tickets are completely unrelated.

Last edited:

And, as usual, Deus Irae is right and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone else is wrong. How can you people not grasp that..?!? :rolleyes:

A PSL is still a separate item from a ticket, despite those rolling eyes.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but those seats are sold out. So it kinda damages your contention that the cost of PSL's and the cost of tickets are completely unrelated.

Actually, it doesn't damage any point I've been making at all. What's more, I've read enough of your stuff to know that you're smart enough to know better. This post of yours was just badly done.

Seriously, this argument is stupid. If we are going to argue semantics of the fact that some stadiums that require PSLs for season tickets only require PSL purchases for most of their season ticket, but not their cheap seats in the 300 level; why even bother. It is just diversion from the original points which are:

1.) Most of the stadiums built in the last decade require PSLs at least for a large portion of their seats and they cost as low as $1k (maybe a stadium or two out there were lower) and goes as high as $20k.
2.) The Krafts chose not to follow this trend, but in return they required higher ticket prices although you can argue it would take a decade or two (or longer) for many of the season ticket holders to have to pay in additional ticket costs to equal what they would have had to pay for an upfront PSL. Whether you want to call it part of the cost of tickets is irrelevant in this fact.
3.) To reitterate that point, whether you want to call it part of the cost of the ticket or not. Season ticket holders sitting in seats that required PSLs to buy the tickets had to actually pay the PSL amount to get the right to buy the tickets. Whether you want to call it part of the cost of the ticket or separate fee they paid to the team for the right to buy tickets, owners took that money from the fans and a large number of them did so during the heart of the current recession.

The original point stands, if you look at the cost of the PSLs and the cost of the season tickets in a lot of stadiums vs. the cost of season tickets in Gillette, the amount of money that the Pats fans pay out vs. fans of many of the teams who sell at a lower average ticket cost is actually less for similiar seats. That is why I think the cost of PSLs should be amortized and factored into the cost of tickets (at least on seats that sell PSLs) when judging the cost of a family of four to go to the game. They factor non-ticket items like parking and food into that cost.

Last edited:

The Patriots have sold out every single game in the new stadium, and that is a trend that will not be ending anytime soon, with or without new videoboards.

And I am not so sure their video boards were the "worst" of any new stadium. In fact, if you take away the crazy Dallas Stadium videoboard, I don't see anything about Gillette that wasn't already very much in line with just about everyone else.

I dont think it was about the Old Jumbos vs what the rest of the league had because I think they were more than adequate.

To me I think it is more about where the technology has gone. I believe the old ones were HD too and one of the first of its kind built in 01 when HD technology was still pretty young. The technology has come very far since then and I think Dallas showed Kraft that while his are more than adequate that they can actually be much much better and something that highlights a stadium.

No, you were not the one who first brought up PSLs. But did you not make the assertion that PSLs should not be considered when comparing the cost of attending the game in various stadiums?

Interesting, because the study that you cited for comparison used the cost of season tickets, and not single game tickets for their data.

Also interesting that the study you cited included this caveat when commenting on the price of Cowboy tickets: "although that price doesn’t include the 30-year seat option that must be purchased with the ticket"; that sounds to me like they are practically conceding their data is flawed since it doesn't include a pro-rated portion of the cost of the PSL.

You jumped in on something and were wrong with what you said. Just leave it at that.
Respectfully disagree.

The Patriots were the highest priced in the game. In 2009, they fell all the way down to second behind to the Cowboys, who'd just opened Jones' ridiculously overdone stadium.

Team Marketing Report -- Your Respected Source for Sports Business, Marketing, and Sponsorship Information: Short Hops

But let's not pretend Kraft is a saint in this, either.
Kraft is a businessman, just like all the owners. Not saying he's a saint, but he's not deserving of being labeled as cheap either - especially considering how the stadium was funded in comparison to other stadiums (e.g., taxes, bonds, PSLs.)

Some places have PSLs, some don't. If you're going to have an accurate look at what it costs to go to a game, that PSL cost should be considered; just like how they consider the cost of "two small draft beers, four small soft drinks, four regular-size hot dogs, parking for one car, two game programs and two least-expensive, adult-size adjustable caps."

I'm sure I'll be told this is irrelevant and not the same, but if Team A signs their QB to a 2-year contract with a $20 million signing bonus and a $1 million annual salary, while Team B signs their QB to a 2-year contract with no signing bonus at $11 million per year, would it be fair to say Team A got a better deal because their QB's salary is $10 million less?

Thanks Myra, you smokin' little minx, you.

I suspect that Kraft married her more for her money than for her looks, I'm afraid.

I'd rather see Kraft spend his money closing in the endzones of the stadium and installing locks on the fidelity club doors during the games.

Works for me.

I suspect that Kraft married her more for her money than for her looks, I'm afraid.

Come on, you have no idea what she looked like in 1922.

I'm am not saying Gillette's were the single nicest scoreboards in the league, but they certainly didn't "suck". They were very much in line with everyone else.

They are very much in the process of being demolished. Bring on the HD!

I dont think it was about the Old Jumbos vs what the rest of the league had because I think they were more than adequate.

To me I think it is more about where the technology has gone. I believe the old ones were HD too and one of the first of its kind built in 01 when HD technology was still pretty young. The technology has come very far since then and I think Dallas showed Kraft that while his are more than adequate that they can actually be much much better and something that highlights a stadium.

Exactly! The Kraft's are smart enough to realize high quality, vivid images being brought into peoples living rooms could make people think twice about jumping in line to get on a waiting list to pay the leagues second highest average ticket prices.

Is that the "CHEAP" Kraft that is doing this ... :confused2:

So again, this is the "SMART" Kraft. This is a business decision that has nothing to do with Robert Kraft being generous (or cheap).

Looks ok to me.

InstaCam

"removal underway" flip the cam to the other endzone..lol

GOING HI-DEF* Gillette getting new video boards

In the image below (link) the crowd shot is the only color video portion of the scoreboard (low def at that). The new digital board will cover the entire footprint and be 100% vivid quality HD.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Gillette_Stadium03.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gillette_Stadium03.jpg&usg=__fSQqD-w9w1lY7uRPh5EK5RZyOMA=&h=1944&w=2592&sz=712&hl=en&start=62&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=G9l-WqhompRWfM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgillette%2Bstadium%26start%3D54%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

Last edited:

I would like Kraft to take all the money he is spending on all that bull-ka-ka and go out and sign a REAL NFL running back!

I will get a LOT more "in-stadium joy and bliss" from a stud RB than a handheld electronic gizmo that gives me out of town scores. Besides, if I am holding this thing in my hands, how am I going to hold my beer and my sausage?!?!?

Huh? Answer me that, Bob? Huh?

Last edited:
Patriots Announce New Interactive Fan Experience

Robert Kraft announced today that despite not filling the holes at running back, the Pats are rolling out a new interactive fan experience.

For just an additional $2798.13 per year, season ticket holders can run down on the field between plays and have Jerod Mayo or Vince Wilfork spear them in the ribs, upper body and cranium until they're walking off looking like Glen "Big Baby" Davis against Orlando last night.

"I sat in the stands with my kids for years" Kraft said, "and I know homw much the boys and I would have enjoyed having Julius Adams or Andre Tippet knock the living piss out of us. So, we're bringing it to our fans!"

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft announced today that despite not filling the holes at running back, the Pats are rolling out a new interactive fan experience.

For just an additional $2798.13 per year, season ticket holders can run down on the field between plays and have Jerod Mayo or Vince Wilfork spear them in the ribs, upper body and cranium until they're walking off looking like Glen "Big Baby" Davis against Orlando last night.

"I sat in the stands with my kids for years" Kraft said, "and I know how much the boys and I would have enjoyed having Julius Adams or Andre Tippet knock the living pi$$ out of us. So, we're bringing it to our fans!"

Last edited:

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft announced today that despite not filling the holes at running back, the Pats are rolling out a new interactive fan experience.

"I sat in the stands with my kids for years" Kraft said, "and I know how much the boys and I would have enjoyed having Julius Adams or Andre Tippet knock the living pi$$ out of us. So, we're bringing it to our fans!"

Last edited:

Hopefully the new screens will give the video board operators a reason to show replays more often (unless there is some NFL rule about replays of which I am unaware).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News