PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft installing new HD videoboards, plus adding RedZone TVs and possibly handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kraft installing new HD videoboards, plus adding RedZone TVs and possibly handhel

Not a fan of the HUGE jumbotrons. They take away from the on field experience and are distracting in my opinion. Maybe not so much at Gillette since the screens are up higher. But at the Linc in Philly it is really difficult to actually watch the game on the field since the screens are at a low enough to catch your attention.

I could give a rat's ***** about the hand held thingys. Not important to me while I'm at the game.

Re: Kraft installing new HD videoboards, plus adding RedZone TVs and possibly handhel

They are a separate purchase. It doesn't get much more irrelevant than that.

Yup, I'm sure that is exactly how the PSL owners feel. :rolleyes:

Is that the "CHEAP" Kraft that is doing this ... :confused2:

No it's the business man Robert Kraft. The one who is smart enough to realize if he doesn't enhance the game-day experience at Gillette the team will lose more season ticket holders than they lost this past off-season. The video boards that were in place were the worst of ANY new stadium in the NFL. Upgrading them is a very wise business decision that will ensure Robert Kraft continues to make millions.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/323926-reiss-pats-installing-latest-version-fieldturf-gillette-page2.html

I knew my wish from the post in this link above would come true. Thanks Robert.

Last edited:

No it's the business man Robert Kraft. The one who is smart enough to realize if he doesn't enhance the game-day experience at Gillette the team will lose more season ticket holders than they lost this past off-season. The video boards that were in place were the worst of ANY new stadium in the NFL. Upgrading them is a very wise business decision that will ensure Robert Kraft continues to make millions.
The Patriots have sold out every single game in the new stadium, and that is a trend that will not be ending anytime soon, with or without new videoboards.

And I am not so sure their video boards were the "worst" of any new stadium. In fact, if you take away the crazy Dallas Stadium videoboard, I don't see anything about Gillette that wasn't already very much in line with just about everyone else.

They are a separate purchase. It doesn't get much more irrelevant than that.

The PSL part is a "separate purchase"? Are you serious? What "separate" item is purchased with a PSL? I thought it was the seat, but perhaps it's for an ice cream sundae.

It's all part of the total price of getting the seat.

Perhaps when you purchase a mortgage, you don't factor in closing costs and points as part of the deal. That would be just as wrongheaded.

To piggy back this response, the Giants and Jets are a great example. For the upper level seats the Giants charge a $1000 per seat PSL the Jets did not do upper level PSL's but charge $5 more per ticket than the Giants do.

The individual cost of the ticket for an upper level seat at the Jets game "costs more", but it will take 20 years for a Giants fan to start seeing that $5 "savings" on his/her ticket.

PSLs are not tickets. The argument is irrelevant.
Deus, you've made a very good history of being able to take the contrarian side of view and offer a compelling case time after time on this site, but to say "the argument is irrelevant" in this case is an utter and complete FAIL in this instance.

Yup, I'm sure that is exactly how the PSL owners feel. :rolleyes:

What the PSL owner feels is also irrelevant to the subject. It's not a part of the ticket sale, and that point has been made abundantly clear by both the teams and the subsequent bills for the tickets themselves.

The PSL part is a "separate purchase"? Are you serious? What "separate" item is purchased with a PSL? I thought it was the seat, but perhaps it's for an ice cream sundae.

It's all part of the total price of getting the seat.

Perhaps when you purchase a mortgage, you don't factor in closing costs and points as part of the deal. That would be just as wrongheaded.

Deus, you've made a very good history of being able to take the contrarian side of view and offer a compelling case time after time on this site, but to say "the argument is irrelevant" in this case is an utter and complete FAIL in this instance.

Purchase of a PSL is a one-time buy that allows you to control the rights to buy tickets for the seats covered by the PSL. It is not a ticket purchase. Perhaps the Chicago Bears can explain it better to both of you, since you seem to be missing the differences:

Seat-specific PSL questions and answers - Chicago Bears

Knowing this, and understanding it, has nothing to do with mortgages and closing costs, and it has nothing to do with being contrarian. Rob and McColby brought up PSLs, not I. PSLs are separate from ticket price. If you have a problem with this basic fact of commerce, take it up with Rob, McColby, the Chicago Bears, and anyone who sells PSLs on top of selling game tickets. A PSL is a sleazy way to milk more money out of a customer base, IMO, but that's not relevant here, either.

The Patriots have sold out every single game in the new stadium, and that is a trend that will not be ending anytime soon, with or without new videoboards.

And I am not so sure their video boards were the "worst" of any new stadium. In fact, if you take away the crazy Dallas Stadium videoboard, I don't see anything about Gillette that wasn't already very much in line with just about everyone else.

You can not be serious?? If the boards were anywhere near in-line....then why are they replacing them. I'll give u a clue.... because they sucked!

Look, the Kraft's are smart enough to understand that with HD televisions almost a household standard, increased camera coverage/angles and perks like 'red zone' the need to step up to improve the video experience at the stadium is a must.

The timing for the opening of the stadium couldn't have been better. But 6 years removed from a champion will set a trend for a steady drop in season ticket renewals. Again, this is a business decision to keep the fan base re-upping the leagues second highest average ticket price. Because YES... the sold out trend can and will happen faster than you could ever imagine. I'm sure you think the Fenway sold out streak will go on forever too. Look for that to end this summer ;-)

You can not be serious?? If the boards were anywhere near in-line....then why are they replacing them. I'll give u a clue.... because they sucked!
So you have any evidence to support this contention? I went to ballparks.com to see what they have to say. They gave the following ratings in the "scoreboard" category when evaluating the respective stadiums:

Eagles - 8.0
Broncos - 8.0
Texans - 7.5
Browns - 7.5
Patriots - 7.0
Lions - 7.0
Steelers - 6.5
Cardinals - 6.5
Colts 6.0
Redskins - 5.0
Titans - 5.0

Sorry, but while it certainly isn't the best, I just don't see any evidence that the Gillette Stadium scoreboard "sucks" when compared to other stadiums.
Look, the Kraft's are smart enough to understand that with HD televisions almost a household standard, increased camera coverage/angles and perks like 'red zone' the need to step up to improve the video experience at the stadium is a must.
The Patriots will continue to sell out indefintely with or without a scoreboard upgrade.
The timing for the opening of the stadium couldn't have been better. But 6 years removed from a champion will set a trend for a steady drop in season ticket renewals. Again, this is a business decision to keep the fan base re-upping the leagues second highest average ticket price. Because YES... the sold out trend can and will happen faster than you could ever imagine. I'm sure you think the Fenway sold out streak will go on forever too. Look for that to end this summer ;-)
And you finish your post by putting words in my mouth. No, I do not believe the Red Sox sell out streak will last "forever" and the fact that you had to bring a bseball team in for comparison really helps prove my point more than your own.

PSLs are a license to buy season tickets. They provide no other value and without them in stadiums that sell PSLs, you cannot purchase season tickets. Therefore it is part of the cost of the tickets.

It is like car insurance. It is a separate purchase than what it costs to buy a car, but you have to purchase it when you buy the car and it is part of the cost of owning the car and you need to factor that price into your budget to determine what you can afford. The only difference is you are buying it from two different sources unlike PSLs and season tickets.

If you are going to factor in the accurate cost of an average ticket of going to the game, you need to factor in the average amortized average cost of every PSL sold for the stadium. Otherwise, it is faulty logic. For example, if (for argument sake) a team charges $50k for a PSL and give away the tickets for PSL holders for $1 a game, the ticket holder still paid far more than a season ticket holder of another team who has no PSLs and charges $20 a game. It would take the season ticket who had no PSL hold 312.5 seasons to spend $50k in tickets, but the logic of not counting the PSLs would state that the ticket holder who paid $50k for PSLs only paid the team $2,500 to go the games during the same time frame and the $50k he shelled out for the PSLs is irrevant.

If you want to buy season tickets in a stadium that has PSLs, you can't opt to buy the season tickets and pass on the PSLs. You can't tell the team that the PSLs have nothing to do with the tickets so you don't need to purchase them. It is part of the cost of owning season tickets in stadiums with PSLs. Just like the cost of car insurance is part of the cost of owning a car. Neither are optional.

Last edited:

PSLs are a license to buy season tickets. They provide no other value and without them in stadiums that sell PSLs, you cannot purchase season tickets. Therefore it is part of the cost of the tickets.

That is incorrect.

I'd rather see Kraft spend his money closing in the endzones of the stadium and installing locks on the fidelity club doors during the games.

So you have any evidence to support this contention? I went to ballparks.com to see what they have to say. They gave the following ratings in the "scoreboard" category when evaluating the respective stadiums:

Scoreboard.com :rofl::rofl: Great source!

I've been to Arrowhead, Browns Stadium, FedEx, Lincoln Financial, M&T Bank and Giant stadium. The only scoreboard as bad as Gillette was Giant Stadium and they are tearing that place down. Have you actually ever been to any of those stadiums you rank??

The Patriots will continue to sell out indefintely

Hmmm. Pass the kool-Aid. I said that about the Bruins teams of the 70's and the Celtic teams of the 80's. I also thought Joe Montana would play forever!

And you finish your post by putting words in my mouth. No, I do not believe the Red Sox sell out streak will last "forever" and the fact that you had to bring a bseball team in for comparison really helps prove my point more than your own.

Am I putting words in your mouth? Does ballparks.com also provide 'catch phrases'?

Look, in all seriousness, there was a recent post on people contemplating dropping their season tickets. My point is this. NFL owners know they have to do something to enhance the game-day experience if they want to keep their league on top. As much as I'm sure you probably think Robert Kraft is upgrading the video boards as a gift from the bottom of his heart to Wolfpack, it's just not the case. Everything that man does is based on making a return and I respect him for that.

Here...I'll make you feel better. The current video boards are the best in the league and Gillette Stadium is the loudest stadium ever!

Now tear then down and bring in the HD's!!

Last edited:

I thought the old boards were a joke. The new ones sound like they'll be great. Thanks Myra, you smokin' little minx, you.

Scoreboard.com :rofl::rofl: Great source!
It's ballparks.com and actually, now that you mention it, yeah they are a respected source by those of us who enjoy following and reading about such things.

Of course, this conveniently ignores the fact that you haven't provided anything whatsoever by way or supporting data for your own contention, so maybe you shouldn't criticize those of us who have.
I've been to Arrowhead, Browns Stadium, FedEx, Lincoln Financial, M&T Bank and Giant stadium. The only scoreboard as bad as Gillette was Giant Stadium and they are tearing that place down. Have you actually ever been to any of those stadiums you rank??
I have been to the following teams' stadiums (though not necessarily all of them football games): Arizona, Baltimore, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Miami, Oakland, and of course New England. I also have been to the former Giants Stadium and Indy's RCA Dome. I'm am not saying Gillette's were the single nicest scoreboards in the league, but they certainly didn't "suck". They were very much in line with everyone else.
Hmmm. Pass the kool-Aid. I said that about the Bruins teams of the 70's and the Celtic teams of the 80's. I also thought Joe Montana would play forever!
Well here's what you fail to realize. A generation or two (or more) of consecutive sellouts is 100% plausible in the NFL. Packers are going on 50 years now. Giants sold out every single game they played in Giants Stadium which is something like 35 years. Good luck getting season tickets for the Bronocos, Redskins, Eagles, Steelers, Ravens, Bears, or even the Patriots. If you sign up today, you may reach the top of the list by 2030.
Look, in all seriousness, there was a recent post on people contemplating dropping their season tickets.
Yeah, and those people were derided as idiots.
Here...I'll make you feel better. The current video boards are the best in the league and Gillette Stadium is the loudest stadium ever!
Pretty pathetic how you say "in all seriousness" before resorting to sarcasm and hyperbole.

If you think there is a huge mass of STHers who say "oo!! I was going to cancel my seaon tickets but now that they have a new scoreboard I won't!" then you really don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

I thought the old boards were a joke. The new ones sound like they'll be great. Thanks Myra, you smokin' little minx, you.

lol 10 char

BTW, to the original point. I am glad they are putting big screens in the stadium. I remember when they opened the stadium, Jonathan Kraft bragged about paying $2 million for the current screen and then going to the stadium and being less than impressed with it. My season tickets at the time were in the opposite corner endzone and you had trouble making out some of the stuff on it. I am glad they are putting some money to put screens in both endzones and making them big enough that you can see the action. If they did it before I gave up my tickets, I might not have given them up. Ok, that is a lie, but it would have made the experience more enjoyable since I couldn't see anything when the action was going on in the other end zone.

Last edited:

I'd rather see Kraft spend his money closing in the endzones of the stadium and installing locks on the fidelity club doors during the games.

How am I going to leave early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back