PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Knee swelling, soreness force Burress to miss practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats wrong with Plax? he cant get healthy for ONE game in the last 19 weeks?

I would think that Plax will play, and it probably won't hinder his effectiveness much. He hasn't played through a significant, nagging injury all year to shut it down now. It would really be a shame if he didn't play; not because I think it would be less worthy or anything- I just want to see him, personally, get humiliated on the field.

Was Burress wearing a boot?

My conspiracy-ish theory says that Burress is suffering from the flu, rather than the nagging effects of his ankle injury (which has, admittedly, been bothering him for months).

It is smoke. He has been fine the past 18 weeks while on the injury report. In fact, he'll be the best he's been all year with finally getting a week off.

The injury report is a joke

A swollen knee? Since when does shooting your mouth off make your knee swell?

Huh. Well, I'm no doctor, so maybe...

Apparently, Florio at ProFootballtalk.com thinks the reason for this admission by the Giants is to send a "message" to the Patriots about the validity of the injury report.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
GIANTS MAKING A POINT ON INJURY REPORT?

The second injury report is out for Super Bowl XLII, and it could be that the Giants are making their feelings known regarding the decision of the Pats not to disclose on Wednesday an ankle injury to Tom Brady -- but to reveal a right shoulder injury that apparently was suffered as he traveled down the birth canal, and that has never healed.

Typically, injured players are listed for only one ailment. On Wednesday, the Giants disclosed that receiver Plaxico Burress didn't practice due to an ankle problem that has bothered him all year. On Thursday, Burress didn't practice again. This time around, it was due to the ankle problem and a knee injury.

The possible message to the Pats and to the league? It's not good enough to name the player on the report without listing his actual injury. Indeed, it's possible that the Patriots have been using Brady's supposed right shoulder injury over the past few years as a way to avoid having to disclose any other injury that he might actually have.

For practical purposes, the league won't do anything to the Pats unless Brady doesn't play. But whether a guy plays is a different question than whether he's injured. And the idea that Brady's chronic shoulder injury is sufficiently severe to merit mention on the injury report while an ankle that required him 10 days ago to hobble around Manhattan in a walking boot is omitted provides ample justification for the Giants to believe that the Patriots are playing games.

Elsewhere for the Giants, cornerback Kevin Dockey (hip flexor) and guard Rich Seubert (knee) fully participated in practice. Both were limited in practice on Wednesday.

For the Patriots, receiver Jabar Gaffney was limited due to a shoulder injury on Thursday, as he was on Wednesday. Brady again fully participated despite that gimpy right shoulder. For the second straight day, the ankle wasn't mentioned.

Apparently, Florio at ProFootballtalk.com thinks the reason for this admission by the Giants is to send a "message" to the Patriots about the validity of the injury report.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
GIANTS MAKING A POINT ON INJURY REPORT?

The second injury report is out for Super Bowl XLII, and it could be that the Giants are making their feelings known regarding the decision of the Pats not to disclose on Wednesday an ankle injury to Tom Brady -- but to reveal a right shoulder injury that apparently was suffered as he traveled down the birth canal, and that has never healed.

Typically, injured players are listed for only one ailment. On Wednesday, the Giants disclosed that receiver Plaxico Burress didn't practice due to an ankle problem that has bothered him all year. On Thursday, Burress didn't practice again. This time around, it was due to the ankle problem and a knee injury.

The possible message to the Pats and to the league? It's not good enough to name the player on the report without listing his actual injury. Indeed, it's possible that the Patriots have been using Brady's supposed right shoulder injury over the past few years as a way to avoid having to disclose any other injury that he might actually have.

For practical purposes, the league won't do anything to the Pats unless Brady doesn't play. But whether a guy plays is a different question than whether he's injured. And the idea that Brady's chronic shoulder injury is sufficiently severe to merit mention on the injury report while an ankle that required him 10 days ago to hobble around Manhattan in a walking boot is omitted provides ample justification for the Giants to believe that the Patriots are playing games.

Elsewhere for the Giants, cornerback Kevin Dockey (hip flexor) and guard Rich Seubert (knee) fully participated in practice. Both were limited in practice on Wednesday.

For the Patriots, receiver Jabar Gaffney was limited due to a shoulder injury on Thursday, as he was on Wednesday. Brady again fully participated despite that gimpy right shoulder. For the second straight day, the ankle wasn't mentioned.

I've always felt that BB's constant listing of Tom on the injury report was in part needling the league to show how stupid injury reports are, not to try to trick anyone. I've assumed this was pretty common knowledge, so for the Giants to try and huff about it would be pretty ironic. I doubt you'd hold a guy out of part of practice just to prove a point.

There's no need, we all know Brady and Burress will play. If anyone needs to be sent a message, it's the Chargers.

There's no need, we all know Brady and Burress will play. If anyone needs to be sent a message, it's the Chargers.

Agreed 100%. The Brady thing is at best BB giving the league a weekly wry smirk, and was peanuts compared to that Tomlinson 90% garbage. I really hope that's not a tactic that catches on.

Agreed 100%. The Brady thing is at best BB giving the league a weekly wry smirk, and was peanuts compared to that Tomlinson 90% garbage. I really hope that's not a tactic that catches on.
Tomlinson was bad but also Gates & Rivers as doubtful was a joke. Gates, who knows, but as soon as their GM said it was Rivers' decision, I knew he was playing. Unless AJ Smith is a total idiot he would never set his QB up to look like a ****. He wasn't doubtful, he was probable.

Tomlinson was bad but also Gates & Rivers as doubtful was a joke. Gates, who knows, but as soon as their GM said it was Rivers' decision, I knew he was playing. Unless AJ Smith is a total idiot he would never set his QB up to look like a ****. He wasn't doubtful, he was probable.

Yeah, that's true. But at least in theory a guy being listed as doubtful means he's missing some reps in practice (I truly have no idea how closely that's monitored), so if they're really playing games it might be some disadvantage to them.

I think it's worse to have an injured guy like LT go through a whole week of practice to feign like he was going to play, then run him out there for two carries and sit him down. To me, that's risking further injuring a guy in practice just to trick your opponent. Again, I can't say definitively that's what happened, but it certainly stunk worse to me.

For most of the season Burress has missed practice all week long and then played on Sunday. It may or may not be a smoke screen, but Burress will be fine and play Sunday, just like Brady will.

Our secondary will have to tackle him from the knees and check it out.

I remember when the Celtics were playing the Houston Rockets for the NBA title. Moses Malone had a sore finger and they asked Larry Bird what he thought about that. So Larry says something to the effect of we'll have to whack that finger early in the game and see how badly he wants to win the championship ... how much pain is worth the championship?

so ... a tackle from the knees early on ... I bet he wilts after that because all he does is run his mouth and act like he's still a Steeler ... he's a NY Giant now ... that's a long way away from being a Steeler ... Giants are wimps.

Frankly, I don't see why there needs to be an injury report at all.

Teams know they're facing 53 players on the other team, only 45 of which can actually play in the game.

So unless you prepare for everyone on the team, how can you be sure you won't overlook something?

Frankly, I don't see why there needs to be an injury report at all.

Teams know they're facing 53 players on the other team, only 45 of which can actually play in the game.

So unless you prepare for everyone on the team, how can you be sure you won't overlook something?

The league would never admit it explicitly, but a lot of the reason for the injury report is gambling.

Whats wrong with Plax? he cant get healthy for ONE game in the last 19 weeks?

Here we go with The Joes calling out an NFL player.

The league would never admit it explicitly, but a lot of the reason for the injury report is gambling.

That's the entire reason for the report - gambling. But it's not to help gamblers. The reason for the report is that if the injury situation is out in the open, then gamblers can't pay off people for inside information on a player's health. Without that being public, you can't have an important player suddenly being unable to play just before a big game.

The system is not perfect; there's no stopping a star running back from running one play and then telling his coaches that he can't go, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back