Knee jerk reactions and other breakdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
First, Thorton:

Knee-Jerk Reactions, Week 10: Patriots vs. Seahawks

I'm happy he agrees with me that the very last play of the game was a blatant hold, and a terrible non-call. Kam was very clearly pulling down Gronk, and the proof is in the pudding (freeze frame) as they say.

When Coleman wasn’t adding an egregious 26-yard pass interference penalty to his permant record, he was chasing right off the line of scrimmage all night. In man coverage, Logan Ryan is showing no pattern recognition whatsoever. In zone, Doug Baldwin runs a deep crossing pattern, Ryan releases him to the care and custody of Pat Chung as he should, and Chung lets Baldwin in behind him for the touchdown. And Paul Richardson was so alone on the 39-yarder he caught, I thought he’d put a bloody handprint on the ball and call it “Wilson.”— Everyone loves to talk about getting pressure on a quarterback and sending extra rushers and all that. In the case of Russell Wilson, it’s more about containment. Staying at his level so he can’t escape the pocket. And yet he did exactly that all night long. Rolling out to his left and taking a flamethrower to the coverage, and the Pats never adjusted. And when he got outside, it was stunning to see how often Ryan would get turned around, never squaring his hips to his man, not be able to recover. Right now there is one cover corner on this team you wouldn’t give a one-star Yelp review to, and that is Malcolm Butler. Frankly teams are doing the Pats a favor by not just throwing on every down. And if Matt Patricia doesn’t fix it five minutes ago, I wouldn’t be shocked if Bill Belichick takes the defense over. It is not supposed to be this way.

— Even the simple things seem to utterly confound them. For example, there are a million ways to defend a three-man bunch. But in the end, they’re taught to just treat it like defending 3-on-3 basketball. Everybody take a man, and when they make cuts, you make your switches and call it out. But the Patriots defensive backs all seem a step slow to read and react and it’s killing them.

— If you’re one of those people who ripped the Jamie Collins trade, this is your day. When C.J. Prosise barbeques the Pats with seven catches for 87 yards, including a 38-yarder with Elandon Roberts giving him free release off the line and trailing him the entire way, then it’s hard to argue that an athletic freak like Collins might have come in a little handy.

— If you’re a fan of mental toughness (And if you’re not, what’s wrong with you? So hide in your safe space and listen up for trigger warnings, Pinko.), you’ve got to have respect for the Seahawks. It’s a tall order to ask a team to come into Foxboro with that unfavorable schedule and win an alley fight fought with broken bottles and trash can lids like this one. They still do dumb things on Pete Carroll’s watch. Take terrible penalties, lose their composure with the time out that helped the Patriots and the 12 men on the field fiasco. But damn, they make you trade lives for your real estate. And I admire them.

Also, another link to a good breakdown (apologies if already done):

Greg Cosell's Week 10 Review: Seattle's strategic wrinkle that gave New England fits

This is a level-headed review. This board mostly went up in flames after Sunday night, but the fact remains that Seattle is still a very good team that's extremely well-coached. Kam and Thomas are the best safety duo in the NFL. But more importantly, Seattle is a mentally tough team. They go at it every snap, and that's a good reminder for us to remember what it takes to play into February.

That play wasn't a hold and there was a lot of contact by both players. I don't go to Thornton for balanced Pats takes.

Ive always had big respect for seattle. They are the most "Patriot-like" team in the nfl. They dont quit and like the Pats-they never make excuses. Ill never forget after the SB, Sherman being the first to congratulate Brady-and then in the postgame press conference, refusing to make excuses" they just lined up and beat us. We need to look ourselves in the mirror and get better". Which is what TB or Bruschi wouldve said. NE/Seattle was pretty much the consensus preseason SB pick-especially in Vegas and still is. Plenty of time for the D to improve. would love to see a SB rematch

Gronk initiated the contact. There was zero chance the refs were going to throw the flag on that. Given the way the defense was lined up and how much space Chancellor was giving Gronk, that play probably would have had more success if Gronk ran a quick slant. But I was fine with the no call after watching the replay. It would have been different if Gronk hadn't have initiated the contact.

Gronk initiated the contact. There was zero chance the refs were going to throw the flag on that. Given the way the defense was lined up and how much space Chancellor was giving Gronk, that play probably would have had more success if Gronk ran a quick slant. But I was fine with the no call after watching the replay. It would have been different if Gronk hadn't have initiated the contact.
I would agree. It's a good officiating crew. Another crew, I'm not so sure about though I've seen fewer calls on PI the last couple of weeks which must mean the League office must have made a "point of emphasis" to help with moving the game along (though it in n way indicates a concern about ratings).

I would agree. It's a good officiating crew. Another crew, I'm not so sure about though I've seen fewer calls on PI the last couple of weeks which must mean the League office must have made a "point of emphasis" to help with moving the game along (though it in n way indicates a concern about ratings).

It indicates a massive concern about ratings. I saw less flags in every game I watched this weekend and the result was the best weekend of football all year. Nobody tunes in to watch middle aged men toss handkerchiefs all over the field.

Thus entire site has been one colossal overreaction lately. I expect this level of lameass butthurt from the Colts and the Jests, not here.

We're onto San Francisco.

Ive always had big respect for seattle. They are the most "Patriot-like" team in the nfl. They dont quit and like the Pats-they never make excuses. Ill never forget after the SB, Sherman being the first to congratulate Brady-and then in the postgame press conference, refusing to make excuses" they just lined up and beat us. We need to look ourselves in the mirror and get better". Which is what TB or Bruschi wouldve said. NE/Seattle was pretty much the consensus preseason SB pick-especially in Vegas and still is. Plenty of time for the D to improve. would love to see a SB rematch
Multiple kudos to Seattle. They flat out kicked our asses.

Yup, Brady or Gronk one of them should of signaled to one another and adjusted the route with the off coverage.

Winning in the last second is thrilling, but nothing to count on. Should've scored more/stopped more in the other 59 and a half minutes.

Thus entire site has been one colossal overreaction lately. I expect this level of lameass butthurt from the Colts and the Jests, not here.

We're onto San Francisco.
The defense was absolutely abysmal on Sunday and the board is talking about it. What would you expect to happen?

The defense was absolutely abysmal on Sunday and the board is talking about it. What would you expect to happen?

I suspect that our defense will be better going forward, but make no mistake, the loss of Collins is going to cost us for the rest of the year.

I am not a big fan of the fade pass... Before the ball is snapped the QB knows exactly where he is going with the ball no matter what. On 4th down and you need to score is that really the best you can come up with?

Run on first down, run again on second down, play action with 2 tight ends on third down, and if it gets to 4th down it depends on what happend on 1st 2nd and 3rd down. If your on the 1 inch line try to punch it in, if your on the 2 yard line+ let Brady drop back and throw to the open guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3