PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

King rips the Pats (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or he didnt think about it at all like he has done for the past 5 years.:eek:

Until I see on the field, some actual talented LB's(behind the starters not 50 years old) I am going to question the LB depth on this team.

No position has been as ignored in the draft as LB has. And this is our oldest position on the team.

I don't think it's been ignored so much as relagated in favor of acquiring veteran LB's as needed and selecting some later round prospects potentially better suited to be developmental projects. Perhaps if we were consistently drafting in the top ten and had no other pressing needs we might locate a college LB Bill believes could play in this complex system PDQ. Of course then their development might well be stunted behind 4 savvy aging but pro bowl caliber veterans. But Bill seems to prefer to replace and augment his starting LB's with proven NFL veterans and develop potential backups with an outside shot at cracking the starting lineup if they pan out. If not, like TBC, they move on and we start over and fill the pressing voids with veterans and the developmental slots with players who regardless of selection round may actually develop further than all the guru's would ever predict. Like our QB did.

And as long as he is willing to either spend on quality FA like Colvin and Thomas, or locate undervalued bargains like Vrabel, or plug in aging cagy veterans like Seau, far be it from me, a mere fan like yourself, to second guess two NFL professionals who have been running a successful system for a living, quite successfully including here in fact, for years.

Thankfully Belichick understands, even if you don't, that his job is to do what he thinks is in the best interests of the entire team, both long and short term, drawing on his extensive experience fielding a 3-4 defense and sufficient talent to operate it gained over 30 years. In addition to stocking the other positions across the entire roster with adequate talent. As opposed to placating demanding, arrogant know-it-all segments of the fan base who wants him to draft them some LB's. :D

As Steven Wright says,

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

Guys, at some point we need to understand that this offseason's epic haul happens for one team or another (albeit usually to a lesser degree) every year.

Remember the Fins fans last year, after the Culpepper acquisition?

If you're an opposing fan, you basically shrug and say "they're trying to buy a super bowl, and it won't work." Then you move on, unless you want to point to how it's a "sign of desperation."

Opposing fans, of course, are dead wrong; but being a homer (as well all are,) is just being a homer.

We pay lip service to this concept, but it is really, really true:

This team hasn't played a down yet.

In this light, it's perfectly legit to pick the Colts to repeat. They are the best until proven otherwise, offseason notwithstanding.

But damn, I can't wait to get underway!

PFnV

Richpats, the dude who started this thread, either works for SI.com as a shill, or takes perverse pleasure in jacking up Pats fans for his own dopey satisfaction because not even Pete the Meat Shepherd could call King's comments a 'rip' on our NE Patriots.

I think a shower and a change of lederhosen and aftershave is in order, Richpats; you've been in your room staring at the computer screen too long for your mental health.

Last edited:
I can't stand Peter King. He's a smug bastard and after he said what he said on Boston radio about Ted Johnson and the organization a few months ago his objectivity comes into question. I don't think he likes BB personally and I'm certain he thinks Brady is inferior when compared to Manning.

That said, this is in no way ripping the team. As he said, he's not often correct on these predictions and I actually give him some credit for addressing the Colts losses on defense while other Colts backers like Prisco have said they don't matter at all.

This is actually unfolding as I expected. We were the toast of the league after signing Thomas and Stallworth and trading for Moss but I still believe the rest of the media will once again fall in line with their masters (Polian, Manning and the Colts) by the time the season begins.

This is actually unfolding as I expected. We were the toast of the league after signing Thomas and Stallworth and trading for Moss but I still believe the rest of the media will once again fall in line with their masters (Polian, Manning and the Colts) by the time the season begins.

Wise words.

How quickly we forget that Alexander had the most tackles in the AFCCG. .

What does that prove??

It seemed to me that the Colts were targeting Alexander.

Thats pretty scary....:eek:

I think if I looked I could find a team with better than a 7th round scrub/UDFA as a backup LB...

Green Bay comes to mind real quick.

You could try the mighty Colts who don't even have a seventh round scrub as a reserve; Oh excuse me, I meant as a starter to replace Cato, or Morris or their MLB you know whtizzname the "all pro"... But then they don't have a scrub to replace their newly promoted CBs or Safeties or DTs or DEs...

It might make you pause a moment when you realize tha tthe "first reserves", the guys called on first as replacemenets, on the DL and Secondary are ex Pats scrubs. Guys who couldn't make the tail end or "last reserves" on the Pats depth chart.

Dungy doesn't worry though. He didn't have a Defense last year, so if he has even less of a non Defense this year, does it really matter??? Just outscore 'em worked once in a hundred years. Whose to say it won't again...

Richpats, the dude who started this thread, either works for SI.com as a shill, or takes perverse pleasure in jacking up Pats fans for his own dopey satisfaction because not even Pete the Meat Shepherd could call King's comments a 'rip' on our NE Patriots.

Yeah, you got me.....BBB you're the Farva of the Patsfans messageboard police.

The Colts scored 40 points against the Pats in 2005,
27 points in the regular season in 2006.
38 points in the AFCC

Why have the Colts averaged 35 points against the Pats in the last 3 games???

IMO, King's piece would have been better served to focus on the last 180 minutes of football played between the two teams rather than the last 30 minutes.

Are AT and Meriweather the answer??

I do not know but I look forward to watching the game.

38 points in the AFCC

IMO, King's piece would have been better served to focus on the last 180 minutes of football played between the two teams rather than the last 30 minutes.

Are AT and Meriweather the answer??

I do not know but I look forward to watching the game.
Sdaly we did not have Rodney Harrison for any of those games.

No Rodney Harrison. Plain and simple.

In 2003 the Colts scored 34 points against the Pats who had Harrison.

Why is Rodney Harrison now so critical to defending the Colts???

Why did the Patriots not miss him in other games in 2006??

How confident should I be that he will be available in Week 9??

How confident should I be that he will be available for the playoffs??

38 points in the AFCC

Well the 2005 game, just go back and look at who was on the field. Same answer as the 2006 AFCCG. Too bad for us but it is what it is. If we're banged up like that again we'll lose again. If we aren't we probably won't.

The other significant factor is with a real passing threat this time we'll be able to actually run the ball (Sanders can't just come up to stop the run - if he does we'll pass on them) which will help the defense by keeping the ball more.

It's not all isolated, it all works together. Rather than ask why we've allowed 35 points in the last three, ask why we almost won 2 of those and whether the changes to the teams the past offseason is likely to change that.

In 2003 the Colts scored 34 points against the Pats who had Harrison.

Why is Rodney Harrison now so critical to defending the Colts???

Why did the Patriots not miss him in other games in 2006??

How confident should I be that he will be available in Week 9??

How confident should I be that he will be available for the playoffs??
We'll beat the Colts with or without Harrison this year as long as our team is only a little more injured than the Colts. We are a better team. We can be more injured than they are and still beat them. But you can't have everyone out.

Mark my words, Moss and Stallworth will make our defense look a lot better.

What does that prove??

It seemed to me that the Colts were targeting Alexander.

People seem to go after Alexander and portray him as a worthless player, I think the fact that he had the most tackles that day show that he is an up and comer. He will have a year of experience going into this season and I think he is worth mentioning in terms of LB depth.

I hope we pull an Indy and rest Harrison all season ala (Bob Sanders) and save him for the colts and then hear polian ***** and wine about how it isnt fair that we copied them in benching our best secondary player till the playoffs and beat there asses harcore

One thing about the Pats' 2nd-half performance that goes unmentioned is that it was almost exactly like their 2nd-half performance against Indy in 2003. We got out to a big lead (21 pts), but our offense only scored 14 2nd-half pts and our D came within a yard of allowing 31 2nd-half points. One play was the difference between those 2 games.

As a Colt's fan, that is a painful truth. If Edge doesn't get stuffed 3 times at the goal line, I believe we would have won the Super-Bowl that year. We didn't make the play in 03-we made it last year.

Jmo.:)

You could try the mighty Colts who don't even have a seventh round scrub as a reserve; Oh excuse me, I meant as a starter to replace Cato, or Morris or their MLB you know whtizzname the "all pro"... But then they don't have a scrub to replace their newly promoted CBs or Safeties or DTs or DEs...

It might make you pause a moment when you realize tha tthe "first reserves", the guys called on first as replacemenets, on the DL and Secondary are ex Pats scrubs. Guys who couldn't make the tail end or "last reserves" on the Pats depth chart.

Dungy doesn't worry though. He didn't have a Defense last year, so if he has even less of a non Defense this year, does it really matter??? Just outscore 'em worked once in a hundred years. Whose to say it won't again...

Nice post. Well, besides the fact that its rife with inaccuracies.

Freddie Keiaho, a 3rd round pick last year, will replace Cato. Gary Brackett is the mlb. Morris will compete with Tyjuan Hagler and Clint Session for the other spot.

As for the cornerbacks, Marlin "game-clinching int in the afccg" Jackson is ready for the starting job over Nick "so I married a crazy, knife wielding woman" Harper. Kelvin "game clinching int in the Super Bowl" Hayden replaces Jason "gulp, I have to cover Marvin in the opener" David. Tim Jennings, Michael Coe and Daymeion Hughes as backups.

Glad I could help.;)

As a Colt's fan, that is a painful truth. If Edge doesn't get stuffed 3 times at the goal line, I believe we would have won the Super-Bowl that year. We didn't make the play in 03-we made it last year.

Jmo.:)
Woulda, coulda, shoulda Champions of '03!

People seem to go after Alexander and portray him as a worthless player,

Interesting twisting of my words.

I thought that I was pointing out the obvious. If you were an opposing OC, would you not go after Alexander, the least experienced defender on the field??

Out of the ten tackles that Alexander had, 5 of them were on plays that the Colts gained a 1st down. The ten tackles Alexander had were on plays that the Colts averaged 7.3 yards. And that's not including the 32 yard pass to Fletcher at the end of the game in which Alexander was isolated on Fletcher. I happen to think that the Colts wanted Alexander to have the most tackles. I do not think that it is a mere coincidence that the Colts averaged 5.1 yards on the other 69 plays and 9.5 on the above 11 plays. I just do not see the number of tackles that he had in the AFCC game as proof of anything except that the Colts considered him the weak link in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back