PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

King rips the Pats (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas is a starter.

Meriweather is a rookie.

Our bench is no better than last year as far as LB's go.

Sure it is. Adding a starter of Thomas caliber lightens the load for both ILB and OLB who were starters last season. That alone bolsters depth. When Thomas is on the field as a LB, one of Bruschi or Seau or Colvin becomes that first level depth player on that bench. And because of his versatility, he adds a depth dimension at safety and even corner.

Meriweather is a rookie alright. He's also the first first round rookie safety in the BB era, as opposed to a day 2 developmental project.

Seems that all Mr. Know-it-all can use as an excuse for not picking the Pats is one bad half of football. Gee, I wonder how the Colts were picked year-in and year-out after their playoff blunders:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/06/03/mmqb/index.html
Not completely unfair in my opinion. Like everyone else, he ignores the flu bug that half the Pats suffered after SD, but in football, this officially doesn't count for anything. For whatever reason, our defense did melt in the second half of the AFCC.

I would wager you now is the future at OLB behind Colvin.

Alexander could be serviceable, certainly no worse than the ILB depth players on many other teams.

Thats pretty scary....:eek:

I think if I looked I could find a team with better than a 7th round scrub/UDFA as a backup LB...

Green Bay comes to mind real quick.

Sure it is. Adding a starter of Thomas caliber lightens the load for both ILB and OLB who were starters last season.

I disagree....

Last years starters

Seau
Bruschi
Colvin
Vrabel

Bench
TBC
Alexander
Woods

This years starters
Bruschi
Thomas
Vrabel
Colvin

Bench

Seau (until he goes on IR)
Alexander
Woods
Lua....

Not really much improvement as far as I am concerned. Should have done more to bolster the depth.

Not really much improvement as far as I am concerned. Should have done more to bolster the depth.

How would you have done that? Who would you have added to the team?

How would you have done that? Who would you have added to the team?

I would have drafted David Harris in the 1st round instead of throwing the pick away.

I would have also signed edgerin Hartwell.

This would have gave us some legitimate LB talent to develop and another veteran capable of playing in the 3-4.

This certainly doesn't qualify as a King rip, or even an insult to intelligence like Gosselin's hatchet job, just more of a tortured, overthought what I think I think (and I need to just make a call and file my column because all this thinking has made my head hurt).

The logic is faulty, so in the end he threw a dart. Better at them than us given his pre season track record.

"So the easy, and logical, thing to say is New England has loaded up where it was weak and will get over the Colt hump this year."

This is Peter's way of telling us he's too savvy to fall for something that obvious. So he'll proceed to talk himself out of it.

"One problem. I still don't know if the Patriots' defense can get off the field in key spots. I know they allowed the second-fewest points in the league last year (14.8 per game), but they allowed 65 in two games to the Colts -- and were absolutely terrible in the second half of the AFC title game. Thirty-two points, 311 yards ... in one half. They melted. And that's what I kept coming back to. As I sit here the first week of June, I'm unconvinced they have the linebacking backbone to hold Peyton Manning to enough three-and-outs in the second half of a big game."

Of course even if they don't, that begs the question - do they now not likely have the offense to keep Manning off the field enough and score enough to make that a moot point? You know what they say about the best defense being a good offense...

"The Colts? I hate how much they've lost on defense. I know what you're saying -- without Nick Harper and Jason David, they're going to be too thin to withstand the bombs thrown at them. But Tony Dungy tells me Manning has lost absolutely nothing of his Jeteresque drive to be great day in and day out. :eek: I just think, as they did last year, Dungy and defensive coordinator Ron Meeks will figure out how to be scrappy on defense. They could really use Corey Simon's contribution, though no one knows yet if that will happen."

LOL Moreso than us with Rodney, the Indy D is a one trick pony - and that pony is more often than not lame at a very early stage in his career. What Meeks and Dungy got away with last year was playing Sanders sparingly - just against us and in the playoffs. And still he had another off season surgery. Sooner or later they will lose one too many games without the dimimutive Safety on the active roster or he will get hurt and the most inopportune time. We Pat's fans know this from experience with impact safeties.

I wonder if Peter asked BB about Tommy's drive what the response would be... Problem is, as was the case with us in 2002, it's the drive in the other 51 compounded by lack of infusion of hungry veteran ringless talent that will trip you up on the road to a repeat, let alone a dynasty. That and the weight of the bullseye.

Anyone who is still contemplating Corey Simon's contribution in 2007 is just grasping at straws to make their selection appear remotely plausable.

Perhaps if you started a more interesting, meaningful thread, you could engage in a better discussion.

Peter King disses Pats, Wahhhhhhhhh!!!!

It's gone on for 20 posts since I've touched it so maybe it's not the wasted thread you thought it was.

I would have drafted David Harris in the 1st round instead of throwing the pick away.

This would have gave us some legitimate LB talent to develop and another veteran capable of playing in the 3-4.

You're presuming that they would have represented upgrades in this system. Only problem with your theory is if BB believed that they'd be here. As he frequently cautions outsiders (including armchair GM's), talent is only as valuable as it's ability to play in this system. He apparently felt Harris and Hartwell didn't project commensurate value (if any) in this system.

I think we're better in that we have 5 old linebackers instead of three, one of them is Thomas and we added Meriweather.

Sanders got some experience, if Gay and Wilson contribute something and one or two of the backup LBs show promise we look OK.

Does he have a point that we're slow and unathletic at LB? Yes.

We'll have to see how much difference the A.D. addition makes.

He apparently felt Harris and Hartwell didn't project commensurate value (if any) in this system.

Or he didnt think about it at all like he has done for the past 5 years.:eek:

Until I see on the field, some actual talented LB's(behind the starters not 50 years old) I am going to question the LB depth on this team.

No position has been as ignored in the draft as LB has. And this is our oldest position on the team.

I'll be interested to see how long it takes Harris to be a contributor for the Jets. He does have potential, and if the Pats had picked him with their second first rounder this season, I don't think you'd have heard too many criticisms. They believed the level of player quality in the draft this season was not enough, and led them to favor trading for a first for next season. We shall see based on what Harris does with the Jets over the coming season whether this was a sound move.

Edgerton Hartwell was a risk I believe the Pats did not want to take. While he was an effective LB, sometimes bordering on dominant, more than two years ago, injuries and the complex scheme the Pats use seen to be the reasons they did not have any interest in him. Alternatively, Thomas is a step in the right direction. I agree, however, that they need to get younger at LB very soon, and Thomas gives them experience and quality play, not youth.

I agree, however, that they need to get younger at LB very soon, and Thomas gives them experience and quality play, not youth.

Thats what I am saying and I dont see how 7th round scrubs and UDFA's can help us do that.

Remember that the depth they now have at LB is significant. They now have experience and depth. Barring a bizarre run on injuries, this is a good group with Seau now as a backup or platoon player who can start if necessary.

A pretty damn good group! If this year's draft was not going to give them the player they feel is a future LB starter, I have to go with BB's and SP's judgement on this. They've done a good job so far!

Barring a bizarre run on injuries, this is a good group with Seau now as a backup or platoon player who can start if necessary.

They've done a good job so far!

Thats the problem...

Seau is almost a guarantee to get injured since he hasnt made a full year in 4 years.
Bruschi is now injury prone.
Vrabel had back problems.
Colvin is always a concern.

We lose 2 of those 4 who starts in their place????

I dont agree they have done a good job....In my mind a good job would have been having Bruschi's replacement on the bench now....They dont have that.

Last edited:
Why do people keep mentioning him when talking about LB's...:confused:

A. He is a rookie.

B. He was a late 1st round rookie....:rolleyes:

One problem. I still don't know if the Patriots' defense can get off the field in key spots. I know they allowed the second-fewest points in the league last year (14.8 per game), but they allowed 65 in two games to the Colts -- and were absolutely terrible in the second half of the AFC title game. Thirty-two points, 311 yards ... in one half. They melted. And that's what I kept coming back to. As I sit here the first week of June, I'm unconvinced they have the linebacking backbone to hold Peyton Manning to enough three-and-outs in the second half of a big game.

Sorry Seymonsta, I'm worried about LB for the future too, but this thread is about getting off the field on third down.

2 young athletic safeties will help us get off the field as will the athletic A.D.

Remember that the depth they now have at LB is significant. They now have experience and depth. Barring a bizarre run on injuries, this is a good group with Seau now as a backup or platoon player who can start if necessary.

A pretty damn good group! If this year's draft was not going to give them the player they feel is a future LB starter, I have to go with BB's and SP's judgement on this. They've done a good job so far!

Having disagreed with Sey, I have to say it certainly won't take a bizarre run of injuries to give us depth problems again.

I think we're allright, but there's a lot of tread of those tires and we'll be fortunate to get by with only minor injuries.

Besides the obvious in Bruschi and Seau, Vrabel does have a back problem. I saw that look on his face post Colts game and you can tell it's nerve pain if you ever had a bad back, neck problem.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
All I see is excuses....

Bruschi was sick, Seau, Harrison blah, blah, blah...

Harrison hasnt made it through a full year in 2 years what makes anyone think he is going to this year??

Bruschi is a year older....

Seau hasnt made it through a full year in 4 years....

The same people who were not avalable last year may very well not be available this year....

What will the excuse be next year if it happens again??

What you call excuses, I call FACT. Its a fact that Bruschi was sick. Its a fact that Seymour, Wilfork and others were sick. Its a fact that Dillon, Maroney and Faulk were all unavailable for the 4th quarter and the Pats felt that passing the ball with 4:39 seconds left and the Ball at the Indy 29 was the way to do. If they had run Evans, he probably would have run over a minute off the clock and could have set the Pats up with 3rd and short instead of 3rd and long.

Bruschi will, more than likely be available. Seau could be available if he doesn't have another fluke injury. Harrison should be available. Meriweather and Thomas should also be available. So should Seymour, Wilson and the rest of the team. The only concern I have, currently, is with the RB situation. Especially since FAULK has been injured each of the last 3 years. I like Sammy Morris and Maroney, but I worry about the depth when twice in the last 3 years Evans has had to step up and try to be the lead back.

True, but even with a great running game we have to select the play to run the ball first. If I remember correctly we barely ran the ball the whole second half.

Its hard to run the ball when your top 3 RBs are on the sidelines injured as was the case with the Patriots in the 4th quarter. Dillon, Faulk and Maroney weren't able to go, leaving Heath Evans to attempt to carry the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back