PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keshawn Martin Signed To 2 Year Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are funny. The vast majority of this board confuses the "Godsend" and the "Bust" in 2006.

Jabar Gaffney, WR at NFL.com
11 Rec 142 Yds 1TD

Reche Caldwell, WR at NFL.com
61 Rec 760 Yds 4TD

That being said, Caldwell was gone the next year and Gaffney gave us two pretty good years after that. But 2006 "Godsend"?
He came in as a street FA during the middle of the year when the WR corps was a disaster.

He caught on and had a great playoff run which was a godsend.

A really good value for the team.
And for Martin too, especially where he was a year ago. Wiki sez "On September 16, 2015, Martin and a sixth-round 2016 draft pick were traded to the New England Patriots for a fifth-round pick". That's got to be the very definition of being "on the bubble". At this point he's got a $600k signing bonus to play with now and pretty good odds at being on the roster for two more years at a good salary.

He'd take a pay cut to stay. I expect a deal will get done to keep him. As Brady's time grows shorter, it's not time to mess around with unproven guys, and we know how much BB appreciates a sure-handed kick returner.
Agree, 'Dola is now a piece worth having.

These figures already were a pay cut for Amendola, so who knows if he'll do it again.
IMHO he will. He has to realize he never lived up to the big salary he got earlier and also has to realize there aren't many other teams that put a large value on an aging possession/slot receiver with a history of injuries. Most would rather spend the money on a young field stretching WR.

Ross you keep on saying Dola will be gone next year and I disagree, he's got too much invested in his carport.
I don't want him to go, I just can't see him staying on his current contract. If he takes a pay cut, I think he will stay.

It is so funny. Volin is ALWAYS the last guy to the party on just about ever story.

It is like the Globe is paying him to the the guy who retweeets everyone else's story. :rolleyes:

Ha! I like Jason LaCanfora's nickname. Jason LaConfirma. He does get owned by the likes of Schefter, Glazer and Rapoport.

WR's are fragile commodities these days. It doesn't take much before your #4 WR is starting a game as you #1. At least now the Pats are the best prepared, depth-wise to survive injuries than they've had been in a long time., I have a dollar for the first person who can even name the #3 WR in 2001 without looking it up. I THINK I know, but I'm not sure. I just remember he had fewer than 20 catches that year.

Next season the Pats will have Edelman, DA, Lafell, and Martin all coming back as WELL as Dobson, Tyms, Harper, and Gibson to compete. I don't think any of those 8 names are worst than Caldwell and Gaffney if they got those targets. And THAT doesn't count any draftees or FA we add in the off season.

So all in all that is a VERY sold start to a very deep and talented WR corps for next year, even if it doesn't have any "wow" factor. Clearly they have decided that that is not the kind of WR they need to have a top offense.....and after watching this be a top offense for the last 5 years, who are we to tell them different.

WR's are fragile commodities these days. It doesn't take much before your #4 WR is starting a game as you #1. At least now the Pats are the best prepared, depth-wise to survive injuries than they've had been in a long time., I have a dollar for the first person who can even name the #3 WR in 2001 without looking it up. I THINK I know, but I'm not sure. I just remember he had fewer than 20 catches that year.

Next season the Pats will have Edelman, DA, Lafell, and Martin all coming back as WELL as Dobson, Tyms, Harper, and Gibson to compete. I don't think any of those 8 names are worst than Caldwell and Gaffney if they got those targets. And THAT doesn't count any draftees or FA we add in the off season.

So all in all that is a VERY sold start to a very deep and talented WR corps for next year, even if it doesn't have any "wow" factor. Clearly they have decided that that is not the kind of WR they need to have a top offense.....and after watching this be a top offense for the last 5 years, who are we to tell them different.

Largely agree with you but I'm sure, come draft time, we'll be debating the need to draft a WR :)

I wouldn't say they've decided they don't need a "wow" WR, I'd say they strongly believe established "wow" WRs are too expensive and haven't been able to find an undervalued WR and develop that player to become a "wow" player. We see here what they can and do do, they find a Keshawn Martin who is a great value and sign him hoping he develops at least a bit of a "wow" factor. They've had several WR draft swings and misses over the BB era so I think they know what they need but they can't get it due to being so successful for so long. Elite WR free agents want huge amounts of money that makes them overvalued and outside our cap, and potential elite draft choices go early so the Pats don't have access to them.

I like this signing, another guy versed in the system vs. a new guy who might not be able to grasp it.. Joey Galloway???

Lots of interchangeable pieces for the receiving corps..

Largely agree with you but I'm sure, come draft time, we'll be debating the need to draft a WR :)
Not only demanding we draft a WR, but you can be assured that EVERY single FA WR will have at LEAST one thread demanding his signing.

It is so ironic that we are smack in the midst of the consistently finest offense in the league. An offense that proves without question that the need for an elite WR is the most over rated need in football. Yet we are not immune to the continuing over hype of WR mania. Just ask the Falcons, Giants, Lions, etc if having one of the top 5 WRs helped them get to where they want to be.

Not only demanding we draft a WR, but you can be assured that EVERY single FA WR will have at LEAST one thread demanding his signing.

It is so ironic that we are smack in the midst of the consistently finest offense in the league. An offense that proves without question that the need for an elite WR is the most over rated need in football. Yet we are not immune to the continuing over hype of WR mania. Just ask the Falcons, Giants, Lions, etc if having one of the top 5 WRs helped them get to where they want to be.

Or Antonio Brown, Tyler Lockett or Devin Funchess? There's no harm adding weapons and keeping the offensive roster refreshed. For a QB to be successful, there still needs to be guys to catch the ball.

I wouldn't say they've decided they don't need a "wow" WR, I'd say they strongly believe established "wow" WRs are too expensive and haven't been able to find an undervalued WR and develop that player to become a "wow" player. We see here what they can and do do, they find a Keshawn Martin who is a great value and sign him hoping he develops at least a bit of a "wow" factor. They've had several WR draft swings and misses over the BB era so I think they know what they need but they can't get it due to being so successful for so long. Elite WR free agents want huge amounts of money that makes them overvalued and outside our cap, and potential elite draft choices go early so the Pats don't have access to them.
I agree. But I think what helps them make the Pats so consistently strong is that they understand that WR is a "hit or miss" position that doesn't require a huge expenditure of draft or cap capital to move their offense. There is enough talent out there that you can find players who fit your model and coach them up to being productive players within your system.

Of course you still have to pay for that talent, just not at the top end of the scale, which allows you to either get more talent for the same price, like 3 for i, or spend it elsewhere.

Clearly they have decided that that is not the kind of WR they need to have a top offense.....and after watching this be a top offense for the last 5 years, who are we to tell them different.

The Patriots have been looking for outside WRs who are legit threats since 2009.

I read this on my way to my photo shoot today. Good for him. They apparently have seen enough to want to keep him around. I think he'll emerge as our full-time PR and maybe even KR.

I agree. But I think what helps them make the Pats so consistently strong is that they understand that WR is a "hit or miss" position that doesn't require a huge expenditure of draft or cap capital to move their offense. There is enough talent out there that you can find players who fit your model and coach them up to being productive players within your system.
Yet we haven't see how the offense would move in a very long time with a reliable deep threat WR.
Of course you still have to pay for that talent, just not at the top end of the scale, which allows you to either get more talent for the same price, like 3 for i, or spend it elsewhere.
The fact they keep spending draft choices on potential deep threat WRs shows they still feel it's a need. The results from not just the Pats but league wide do show it is a hit or miss position. The fact that the Pats still have a great offense means they've found a way to cope with the sporadic play they've gotten from the deep threat WRs they've been able to aquire.

Today I'm sure we'll see a long ball or two go towards LaFell. I'm hoping they're completions but I can't say I'm confident they will be. To me this show the Pats feel the deep threat WR is a need but just haven't been able to find a good enough one at the value they assign to the position.

Two words, Randy Moss

I like him. Came cheap. ST players and seems to have Bradys trust after all the WR injuries

The Patriots have been looking for outside WRs who are legit threats since 2009.
Not saying that the Pats aren't looking for good WR's, just like they do at every position.....even before 2009. What I am saying is that they have come to the very wise conclusion that it is NOT worth it to spend a lot of draft capital or FA cap room to acquire one. If you can find one at the bottom of the 2nd round or lower fine. If you can find a FA like LaFell, or trade for one like Welker fine. But they will NEVER spend a first round pick (even in the 30's) for one, nor will they pay even close to top dollar for one in FA. In fact when their own WR's develop to the point where they can command top dollar, they are very comfortable to let them go.

That isn't to say they don't want talent at the position. They'd love to have 3 great WR's out there all the time. They just don't think it is worth the price to get them. So essentially they get Edelman, DA, and LaFell all for aproximately the same price as ONE elite WR. A guy who is at risk to be lost for the season on any given play.

I don't want him to go, I just can't see him staying on his current contract. If he takes a pay cut, I think he will stay.

I agree with Bill Lee.

'Dola is alot more important to this team than most people here give him credit for.

And he's right - - Danny is one of the 3 ball catchers on the offense that Brady has full trust in.

This is a very symbiotic relationship - - the Pats don't want to lose one of the few guys who knows the route tree and Brady's doesn't have several years left to break in too many more newbies. Meanwhile, Amendola knows full well that he won't get any more on the open market than what the Pats will restructure him down to.

This should be a very easy win-win renegotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes