PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keshawn Martin Signed To 2 Year Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the move. Love what I've seen from Martin this year so far, I'm really excited that they have locked him up for two more years at a reasonable salary. Even if Danny was gone next year, if LaFell could get it together and return to his production from year 1 (training camp probably helps that), Edelman-LaFell-Martin is a solid 1-2-3.
If he hadn't gotten hurt he might of totaled around 40 or so catches. Not bad at all for a #4 WR.

Quality depth.

Agree, if Amendola doesn't take a big pay cut he will likely be gone and the team will replace his production with Martin.

Maybe but I would disagree with that position. He already took a pay cut showing that he's a team player. If this season showed anything it's how important it is to have good quality depth at this position. I figure at least one maybe two games were won because of Dola's play. If Pats lose one more game they miss the bye and probably would have played the Steelers last week. That has an enormous value.

What makes you think LaFell is safe?

Contract. Pats only save $2.6m if they cut him. Are they really gonna chance cutting a guy that has shown he plays well in the system for $2.6m. I mean they aren't going to get Alshon Jeffrey or Calvin Johnson, which would be the 2 most wanted guys if they were to come available.

Although maybe with Martin now extended they cut LaFell and Amendola and go get someone like Marvin Jones, Jermaine Kearse or Rueben Randle and then for that 1 year vet deal they like to do maybe bring in Anquan Boldin.

Last edited:
My first reaction was wondering if this presages a big post-season role for Martin? Or do the game plans and salary plans not interact at all?

I love the move. Love what I've seen from Martin this year so far, I'm really excited that they have locked him up for two more years at a reasonable salary. Even if Danny was gone next year, if LaFell could get it together and return to his production from year 1 (training camp probably helps that), Edelman-LaFell-Martin is a solid 1-2-3.

Ross you keep on saying Dola will be gone next year and I disagree, he's got too much invested in his carport.

Contract. Pats only save $2.6m if they cut him. Are they really gonna chance cutting a guy that has shown he plays well in the system for $2.6m. I mean they aren't going to get Alshon Jeffrey or Calvin Johnson, which would be the 2 most wanted guys if they were to come available.

Although maybe with Martin now extended they cut LaFell and Amendola and go get someone like Marvin Jones, Jermaine Kearse or Rueben Randle with that cap space
Would not be apposed to Marvin Jones.

Maybe but I would disagree with that position. He already took a pay cut showing that he's a team player. If this season showed anything it's how important it is to have good quality depth at this position. I figure at least one maybe two games were won because of Dola's play. If Pats lose one more game they miss the bye and probably would have played the Steelers last week. That has an enormous value.
Agreed. I understand the belief that historically NE won't pay $5/6 for Amendola's 'production', but there's a little more to it than that. He hasn't stayed totally healthy ever but he makes big catches, he does little things, he's trusted by Brady, and he's trusted by BB on special teams which we know is really important. Unless they have a pathway to someone as good or better than Edelman (sure Marvin Jones, Megatron lol) I don't see how you can roll on without DA (and with Lafell, yikes) and call it good for the team. Just keep stretching his contract and keep him here fair catching punts til he's 40.

Please let that be Marvin Jones.

Ya with Jeffrey obviously being off the table Marvin Jones would be my #1 target if they were looking at WR.

If someone told me Pats will cut LaFell and Amedola for Jones and Boldin (on a 1 year vet type deal) I would probably sign up for it. Boldin in the dumpster fire of offense in SF this year still put up 70 catches/800 yards.

Maybe not a great sign for the Chris Harper fans. Struggle to see how they both fit on the same 53 man roster next year. But who knows.

Especially with Brandon Gibson and Brian Tyms coming back.

My first reaction was wondering if this presages a big post-season role for Martin? Or do the game plans and salary plans not interact at all?

They do not interact at all.

Martin our healthy WR today. Will see chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore