PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keshawn Martin Signed To 2 Year Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Miguel:

It really is quite something that we could go through the off-season and do pretty much nothing, no free agents, trade away all our draft picks, and still be in a position to field a playoff caliber roster next year with no subtraction so or additions. Starting to see why our Former front office guys are getting GM jobs around the league.

From Miguel:

It really is quite something that we could go through the off-season and do pretty much nothing, no free agents, trade away all our draft picks, and still be in a position to field a playoff caliber roster next year with no subtraction so or additions. Starting to see why our Former front office guys are getting GM jobs around the league.

I was looking at the cap situation less than an hour ago, as I was comparing it to Denver's (they signed Wolfe to a 4 year extension). If the cap goes up significantly, as is believed, and if the couple of players I looked at are cut (I focused on Amendola, Mayo and Chandler, just to look at numbers), the Patriots could easily have more than $20m in cap space with almost no casualties.

I was looking at the cap situation less than an hour ago, as I was comparing it to Denver's (they signed Wolfe to a 4 year extension). If the cap goes up significantly, as is believed, and if the couple of players I looked at are cut (I focused on Amendola, Mayo and Chandler, just to look at numbers), the Patriots could easily have more than $20m in cap space with almost no casualties.

And cutting Cannon probably adds another 4m to that. And one would have to think that extensions to Sheard, Hightower and maybe Chandler Jones could top that up even further. The roster is in a pretty good place right now with no major concerns for next year.

Good to lock up a decent #4 or #5 type receiver. I'm hoping Akiem Hicks will be next.

Aside from the big money guys he is a priority. Young, big. He's done very well here vs the run and creating pressure.

Sign the Beast!

And cutting Cannon probably adds another 4m to that. And one would have to think that extensions to Sheard, Hightower and maybe Chandler Jones could top that up even further. The roster is in a pretty good place right now with no major concerns for next year.

And that's a darned good thing, because of the lack of a certain asset.

#ThanksRog!

is there extra incentives for no OPI calls for an entire season?

Apropos of nothing but my own interest, Reiss is looking at Martin in much the same way that I've been looking at him:

Maybe not a great sign for the Chris Harper fans. Struggle to see how they both fit on the same 53 man roster next year. But who knows.

Maybe not a great sign for the Chris Harper fans. Struggle to see how they both fit on the same 53 man roster next year. But who knows.

I figure that none of the trinity of Harper, Dobson and Amendola are sure things, for one reason or another.

Interesting that he gets 2 years rather than just 1.

It will depend on the details, but generally, it's almost always in a team's benefit to offer a multi-year deal if they don't have to guarantee a lot of it. They have the power to cut a player and break the contract, while the player doesn't have that same option usually so why not tack in an extra year if it doesn't cost you much extra?

I'm sure most teams would do longer deals if it weren't for the guaranteed money factor, but it's rarely in the player's interest. They're limiting their upside earning potential and need the guaranteed money to compensate for that.

Edit: ESPN has details now.

As part of the extension, the 5-foot-11, 194-pound Martin receives a $600,000 signing bonus, with base salaries of $850,000 in 2016 and $1 million in 2017.

He has $25,000 workout bonuses in 2016 and 2017, and the pact includes $200,000 of per-game roster bonuses in each season. There is a $100,000 roster bonus due on the fifth day of the 2017 league year, $750,000 in incentives in both seasons (based on receptions), and a $200,000 escalator that could increase his 2017 base salary based on receptions.

Source: Patriots sign WR Martin to 2-year extension

Very low-risk deal.

It will depend on the details, but generally, it's almost always in a team's benefit to offer a multi-year deal if they don't have to guarantee a lot of it. They have the power to cut a player and break the contract, while the player doesn't have that same option usually so why not tack in an extra year if it doesn't cost you much extra?

I'm sure most teams would do longer deals if it weren't for the guaranteed money factor, but it's rarely in the player's interest. They're limiting their upside earning potential and need the guaranteed money to compensate for that.

There are exceptions, but it seems to me that, generally, BB gives out 2 years to players he's sure he wants for at least one.

Goes to show, fit for a system is more important, at least here, than "talent" as in can't miss, high profile draft picks.

Quickness is the key physical ingredient, it seems.

There are exceptions, but it seems to me that, generally, BB gives out 2 years to players he's sure he wants for at least one.

Yeah, that does seem to be the case, and it's good practice.

If you're a long-term building block, you get a big contract with big guarantees (McCourty).

If you're a potential role-player, you generally get that 2-year deal with not a lot in guarantees.

If you're rehabbing your role or image or body and you're betting on yourself, you take a 1-year deal to perform well, then hit the market again.

That second year is all about leverage. With the details of Martin's deal out, they got another year of low-cost WR in exchange for a potential $300K in guaranteed money that will hit the cap if he's cut in 2 seasons. A really good value for the team.

As part of the extension, the 5-foot-11, 194-pound Martin receives a $600,000 signing bonus, with base salaries of $850,000 in 2016 and $1 million in 2017.

He has $25,000 workout bonuses in 2016 and 2017, and the pact includes $200,000 of per-game roster bonuses in each season. There is a $100,000 roster bonus due on the fifth day of the 2017 league year, $750,000 in incentives in both seasons (based on receptions), and a $200,000 escalator that could increase his 2017 base salary based on receptions.

Ok, that tells me that the Patriots (at least currently) have 3 'roster level' WRs all but locked in for training camp next season:

Edelman
LaFell
Martin

That makes me wonder how much slot work Martin's going to be getting this offseason, because I think the team will consider Amendola's numbers high for a guy who can't stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes