PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kerry Bryne :Broncos Best team

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be expected I guess, lot's of blind homerism. For those ignorant Chowdaheads, maybe thy don't recall the game against the Broncos this year. First, let's start off by explaining what the Broncos were like at the beginning of the season. Manning was just a few games back from a year layoff, recovering from 4 neck surgeries. A new defensive coordinator was in town and trying to figure out which of those players would fit best in his scheme. Also the merging of offensive plays between offensive coordinator McCoy and Manning. McCoy had the offense installed for Tebow and then within a few short months of learning that Manning was coming to town, design an offense for him. So the Broncos of today, who have now had almost a full season to grow into these changes, are a much different team then they were the first few games of the year. Thus the 9 game winning streak. Yes, early on, the Broncos lost a few games, but to the best teams in the NFL, and actually all of those games made so many early mistakes, they were close to getting blown out. But the Broncos outplayed each of those teams (Pats, Texans, Falcons) in the 2nd halves, almost having won each of those games. At the same time, at least the Broncos haven't had losses to some inferior teams such as the Cardinals, Seahawks and so on. I'm sure the Pats fans were soaring high after destroying the Texans, but then they get bushwacked by the 49'ers, who in their own right, have lost games to the Rams, Seahawks and Vikings.

I think the Pats are a great team. But don't pretend that going to Denver is going to be any cakewalk. I think the last time NE was in Denver, with a much worse defense and a QB by the name of Jake beat them. So a QB named Peyton Manning and a #2 ranked defense should make if anything a good challenge for the Pats. I understand you want to be confident and that's all good, but some of you on here have the homerism blinds pulled too far over the eyes. If you think going to Denver is going to be easy, I think the Pats players and coaches would tell you otherwise.

Based on your post, you definitely are an expert on homerism.

Here are a few responses:
  • It was the fifth game of the season. Not deep into the season, but far from "like at the beginning of the season" and Manning only a "few games back".
  • The nine game winning streak have been mostly against bad teams that the Pats would easily have beaten as easily as the Broncos did. Don't forget the Ravens are currently a shell of the team that the Pats faced in the fourth week of the season.
  • The Pats are better too. The Pats went on a youth movement this year and there were a lot of first time starters and/or newly acquired free agents (the Pats have three rookie starters on defense) and they didn't have Aquib Talib at that point. Broncos fans talk about how the Broncos have improved, but so have the pats.
  • The loss to Arizona was at the beginning of the year (second game) where they lost Hernandez on the third offensive play and arguably should have won with a questionable holding call on what would have been the game winning TD and then a missed chipshot field goal. But the Pats should be penalized for a loss in week two and the Broncos should be given a pass for a loss in week five because they weren't the team they are now? How does that work? Most teams can take 4-6 weeks or longer to become what they really are barring injuries.
  • The Broncos have outplayed the Pats, Texans, and Falcons in the second half because they haven't faced anyone. Yes, they faced a free falling Ravens' team that has a good record, but lost the last three out of four games and the Bengals on the tail end of a four game losing streak, but every other team they faced have six wins or less right now. All the other three teams have faced the elite teams of the NFL.
  • When did the Seahawks become a bad team? They are likely a playoff team and have beaten the Pats and Packers (although on a questionable play). The Seahawks at home are very tough to beat.

I think the Broncos are a very good team, but you responded to the "homers" on this board with a very homer argument.

Last edited:
Based on your post, you definitely are an expert on homerism.

Here are a few responses:
  • It was the fifth game of the season. Not deep into the season, but far from "like at the beginning of the season" and Manning only a "few games back".
  • The nine game winning streak have been mostly against bad teams that the Pats would easily have beaten as easily as the Broncos did. Don't forget the Ravens are currently a shell of the team that the Pats faced in the fourth week of the season.
  • The Pats are better too. The Pats went on a youth movement this year and there were a lot of first time starters and/or newly acquired free agents (the Pats have three rookie starters on defense) and they didn't have Aquib Talib at that point. Broncos fans talk about how the Broncos have improved, but so have the pats.
  • The loss to Arizona was at the beginning of the year (second game) where they lost Hernandez on the third offensive play and arguably should have won with a questionable holding call on what would have been the game winning TD and then a missed chipshot field goal. But the Pats should be penalized for a loss in week two and the Broncos should be given a pass for a loss in week five because they weren't the team they are now? How does that work? Most teams can take 4-6 weeks or longer to become what they really are barring injuries.
  • The Broncos have outplayed the Pats, Texans, and Falcons in the second half because they haven't faced anyone. Yes, they faced a free falling Ravens' team that has a good record, but lost the last three out of four games and the Bengals on the tail end of a four game losing streak, but every other team they faced have six wins or less right now. All the other three teams have faced the elite teams of the NFL.
  • When did the Seahawks become a bad team? They are likely a playoff team and have beaten the Pats and Packers (although on a questionable play). The Seahawks at home are very tough to beat.

I think the Broncos are a very good team, but you responded to the "homers" on this board with a very homer argument.

Nice reply!

699349861_medium.gif

BTW, to the argument that Manning is getting better as the season goes on, I don't know if the numbers support that.

His first 7 games:

176 for 257 (68.5%) for 1,813 yards, 17 TDs, 4 INTs (and he got three of those INTs vs. the Falcons), and 10 sacks

His last 7 games:

171 for 254 (67.3%) for 2,203 yards, 14 TDs, 6 INTs, and 11 sacks.

Considering his competition was much harder in the first half of the season, I don't know if he is truly getting any better. In fact, based on his last 5 games, he might be slowing down and his defense might be picking up the slack. Three of his five worst statistical games have been in the last four weeks (his stats were only worse vs. the Falcons and Texans).

Last edited:
His sideline passes look pretty 'jumpable' to me. I can only imagine when it gets colder, wetter.

Yeah! Yeah!Yeah!
Before 49er game Pats were team to beat in AFC. After 49er game Denver & Peyton are best. Please Mediots change their minds quicker than a model on a runway. Brady & Pats Home or away, any day!

GOOD. Let them marinate in the spot light. Pats can take care of their business while Peyton and the Broncos get all the accolades. The Broncos defense does not scare me. The 49er defense did scare me and still does.

The Patriots rang up 31 points on Denver and 34 on San Francisco.

It would nice to know that the Patriots' defense could hold these teams under 30 - but we can't be confident about that. The defense is running out of time to get better.

FYI, in CHFF's final quality stats power ranking of 2011, Houston was ranked #1 (lost in the Division Round of the playoffs), New England was 8th (went to Super Bowl), and the Giants were 11th (won the Super Bowl).

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: The Truth Hurts

They were right about the Super Bowl winners in 2010 and 2009. They were off in 2008 (the Giants were #1, Pittsburgh was #4, Arizon was 20th). Way off in 2007 (Giants were ranked 16th and Pats were ranked #1).

In other words, CHFF's rankings are much better at picking Super Bowl champs based on their power ranking than any other publication's power ranking. Sometimes their rankings are right on target in predicting Super Bowl winners and others they are way off. It is the way the playoffs work.

The only true way to judge the best team is the last team standing in January. They may not actually be the best team, but they are they are the best team in the one stat that matters - Super Bowl wins.

Agreed. Which is why I would love to have a playoff system where each team has to go through each of the 4 divisional champs(3 + best wildcard if you are a champ), the NFC Championship game, and then the Superbowl.

Then you can be pretty certain the Superbowl Winner is also truly one of the two best teams in the NFL, not just the tournament winner.

If the NFL wants to add playoff games, this is where they should add it. Give us more champion vs champion match ups, not more crappy wild card teams that will luck out and end up in the big games.

lets hope for a blizzard in denver when we go up there so we can kick his ass again

Let them overlook the Patriots. I'm not scared of the Broncos, but I'm not thinking it's gonna be easy either. Winner of that game will beat Houston (unless they get upset by the Colts/Ravens) in the AFC championship game. I do believe the Patriots are going to get healthy in the next two weeks and put it all together for another long run to the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
To be expected I guess, lot's of blind homerism. For those ignorant Chowdaheads, maybe thy don't recall the game against the Broncos this year.

I recall the Patriots winning that game by 10. Do you live in an alternate universe where something else was the result?

First, let's start off by explaining what the Broncos were like at the beginning of the season. Manning was just a few games back from a year layoff, recovering from 4 neck surgeries. A new defensive coordinator was in town and trying to figure out which of those players would fit best in his scheme. Also the merging of offensive plays between offensive coordinator McCoy and Manning. McCoy had the offense installed for Tebow and then within a few short months of learning that Manning was coming to town, design an offense for him.

The Patriots didn't have Dennard in the starting lineup. Talib wasn't yet on the team. McCourty was at corner. QBs were killing the Patriots by just lobbing balloons into the secondary. Hernandez didn't play. I don't believe Hightower played that game.

So the Broncos of today, who have now had almost a full season to grow into these changes, are a much different team then they were the first few games of the year. Thus the 9 game winning streak.

They played the Bengals when the Bengals had lost 3 straight. They played the Ravens when the Ravens had lost 2 straight. It's not as if the Broncos are beating good teams playing well.

Yes, early on, the Broncos lost a few games, but to the best teams in the NFL, and actually all of those games made so many early mistakes, they were close to getting blown out. But the Broncos outplayed each of those teams (Pats, Texans, Falcons) in the 2nd halves, almost having won each of those games.

They weren't close. They got buried. Houston and Atlanta then went completely conservative and just played the clock. The Patriots made some boneheaded mistakes but still won by 10.

At the same time, at least the Broncos haven't had losses to some inferior teams such as the Cardinals, Seahawks and so on. I'm sure the Pats fans were soaring high after destroying the Texans, but then they get bushwacked by the 49'ers, who in their own right, have lost games to the Rams, Seahawks and Vikings.

The Seahawks are 9-5 and have won 4 of their last 5, genius.

I think the Pats are a great team. But don't pretend that going to Denver is going to be any cakewalk. I think the last time NE was in Denver, with a much worse defense and a QB by the name of Jake beat them. So a QB named Peyton Manning and a #2 ranked defense should make if anything a good challenge for the Pats. I understand you want to be confident and that's all good, but some of you on here have the homerism blinds pulled too far over the eyes. If you think going to Denver is going to be easy, I think the Pats players and coaches would tell you otherwise.

The Patriots would beat the hell out of the Broncos, barring something flukey like a key injury. The game may be over by halftime. Manning's arm was weak at the start of the season and, after a brief time where it regained some strength, he's losing arm strength again. I look forward to seeing him playing outdoors in the wind.

Last edited:
Two years ago this guy was AZColtsfan, Deus....

LOL @ AZBroncofan wrong on almost all the things he pointed out. Talk about a blind homer...wow

and the broncos have jack del rio as their D coordinator....enough said

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes