PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kenny Britt files injury grievance against Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny Matthews got healthy in a hurry now catching passes in Philly??:confused: Young WR still in his prime well there is next years FA I guess.:rolleyes:
I really never understood moving on from him. It was like they were just impatient and didn’t want to wait and just kept throwing crap at the wall to hope something would stick.

I really never understood moving on from him. It was like they were just impatient and didn’t want to wait and just kept throwing crap at the wall to hope something would stick.
I think its pretty straightforward.

Hogan, Cord and Dorsett were the mainstays.

Matthews doesn't play ST. He got hurt which put him behind.

I think they had the Gordon deal in the works for a while. When the pulled the trigger they didnt need him.

If it fell through they had Matthews or Britt to fall back on.

Jules was coming back Week 5.

Best case Matthews would have been WR4 here and not playing STs hurt his standing.

They can't actually legally cut guys that sustained an injury when they were under contract to the Patriots. They have to IR them. That's what this grievance is about. Usually they end up accepting a little less than what they'd get for the full season and they get to be free agents, or else they'd demand to revert to IR. (See Amara Darboh)

So, in a sense, the Pats are likely to end up paying about the same amount that they would have if they'd put these guys on IR and then reached a settlement release?

So, in a sense, the Pats are likely to end up paying about the same amount that they would have if they'd put these guys on IR and then reached a settlement release?

That's the likely outcome. Generally, teams settle before it goes to arbitration because if it does go to arbitration the remedies for these kinds of things could be a lot of money beyond the salary owed, so this will essentially work out as if it was an injury settlement. That's what happened to Malcolm Mitchell, it seems. If they didn't think they would play again, then they could try to revert to IR.

I think they had the Gordon deal in the works for a while. When the pulled the trigger they didnt need him.

Best case Matthews would have been WR4 here and not playing STs hurt his standing.
Gordon deal in the works? There is nothing to suggest that at all. You lose credibility even suggesting it.

We cut Matthews to sign Decker there was no genius behind it.

This is the worst salary cap situation we have had in recent memory. We have no money to carry over or make late season signings.

Gordon deal in the works? There is nothing to suggest that at all. You lose credibility even suggesting it.

We cut Matthews to sign Decker there was no genius behind it.
I lose credibility for suggesting it? You are not in a position to make that kind of claim.

Here is an inside tip for you....NFL teams talk. They lay the foundation for deals all the time.

Move 3m of Gilmores base salary into 1m cap hits for the next 3 years. Worst case you add a little actual dead money in 2021 because given the other hits they won't move on before that anyway.

Convert most of KVNs base into a signing bonus that gets spread over the final two years.

Convert half of Cannons base salary (4m) into a bonus that gets spread over the rest of his contract.

Extend Ghost. Trade Rowe.

There are enough ways if you ask me. And I purposefully avoided any of the WRs.

If they were to trade Hogan or release Patterson they would save a few million correct?

Looking at the current contract list on OTC, it doesn't appear to me that there are any restructurings that would make a significant difference in cap space without involving extensions.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots

In any case, the current $1.25M doesn't look like much in terms of acquiring injury replacements when looking at the schedule of minimum salaries.

NFL Minimum Salaries for 2018

Still wondering why McCourty hasn’t restructured.

As much as I see improvements in Patterson he's not a better receiver than Matthews somebody evaluated Matthews wrong we could have used him against Detroit. I hope that loss don't come back and bite us in the @ss:I really thought we would have won that game injuries and all.

As much as I see improvements in Patterson he's not a better receiver than Matthews somebody evaluated Matthews wrong we could have used him against Detroit. I hope that loss don't come back and bite us in the @ss:I really thought we would have won that game injuries and all.
Completely agree re: Cord as a WR < Matthews. The BB formula is if you are not a WR1 or Wr2 playing full-time snaps, you must have ST value. Cord does. Matthews did not.

This is the worst salary cap situation we have had in recent memory. We have no money to carry over or make late season signings.

And losing a few key player on this D for any period of time makes it a 3rd and First Defense. Hope we can keep up with the Chiefs - Da Bears:eek: and Pack in the coming weeks.

Love Shaq Mason for his hard work and all but did we pull the trigger too early on his extension?? I know Trent Brown have some conditioning issues in the past but what a heck of a LT he has become: Brown is waay better than Solder ever was. Most of Brady's pressures have come from the Right side injured Cannon and between the Guards Thuney and Mason...Brown have been a Rock! BB the GM did an excellent job on the Trent Brown acquisition.

I lose credibility for suggesting it? You are not in a position to make that kind of claim.

Here is an inside tip for you....NFL teams talk. They lay the foundation for deals all the time.
I am in the position to make the claim because you and me both know you’re talking out your rear. You think the Browns told the Patriots over the summer just hold off until Josh Gordon hurts his hamstring doing a commercial and then we will trade him to you for a 5th? Sounds brilliant, must be why they announced they were going to release him and then took a 3 days to finalize the trade, because the foundation was there and that was all part of the master plan...

I am in the position to make the claim because you and me both know you’re talking out your rear. You think the Browns told the Patriots over the summer just hold off until Josh Gordon hurts his hamstring doing a commercial and then we will trade him to you for a 5th? Sounds brilliant, must be why they announced they were going to release him and then took a 3 days to finalize the trade, because the foundation was there and that was all part of the master plan...
Nope. Not in a position.

Anyone on this board has the right to call you out on your blatant lies with absolutely nothing creditable to support them.
You have zero inside knowledge of the discussions between the two teams.

Unless you are BB, goodbye

I would have cut Dwayne Allen and kept Dola instead (don't sign Clayborn too if needed, he wasn't anything special outside of a strange all time great game vs the Cowboys) but, we were in a crunch. There were things we could have done better for sure, but there's only so much cap room.

I don't think Allen is worth his cap hit either, but every time I rewatch running plays he jumps off the screen. On Michel's TD last week he basically killed a guy.

As far as the injury grievances are concerned, if there's merit to the cases then they're entitled to the money and should get it. Sucks to lose some cap space but it's these guys livelihoods. Hard to not be on their side.

I was looking at the 2011 CBA trying to answer a question I have when I discovered the reason why the Patriots aren’t just setting these grievances (Britt and Malcolm Mitchell).

It appears as if only 40% of what the player is demanding counts against the salary cap until the grievance is ruled upon or settled. Thus, a cap-strapped team such as the 2018 Patriots can delay the full cap impact. I’m not sure what the time frame on these grievances are, but, perhaps, it might not happen until after the season allowing them to push 60% of the settlement onto the 2019 cap.

They don’t normally do business this way, but this is by far the most precarious cap position the Patriots have found themselves in a long time. I’m sure they weren’t expecting to have so much salary sitting on the IR this early in the season.

Worse, I don’t really see where they can easily restructure a contract to gain a chunk of cap space either. Brady and Gronk’s contracts have already been tweaked to add bonus money. Whether they can be restructured again is the question I was reading the CBA for in the first place, but it’s not clear. Gilmore’s and Hightower’s 2018 salaries are fully guaranteed. It leaves only D. McCourty but his 2019 cap figure is already too high.

Actually, as I type this, it came to me that extending Gostkowski’s contract could probably get you $2 million in cap savings easily. But, then, how much of a commitment do you want to make to a kicker whose reliability is questionable?

It will be interesting to watch how they manage this, but it appears the cap is not crap and in this case it might stop them from making in-season moves to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST