PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelly Washington option bonus speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did the same thing to Donte Stallworth. Say his total salary is $9M+ and his cap number is a million higher as a result. They say they count all bonus money in the year in which a deal is signed, and I think they are mistakenly doing the same with option bonuses this year.

FWIW - USAToday did not do the same thing for Warren, Welker, Meriweather and Adalius Thomas, all of whom are also due option bonuses in 2008.

not sure where the $4 million option was sighted on the link,

It is not cited on the link which is one of the reasons that I used the word speculation.

There are three possible reasons why USAToday reported those numbers.

1.) The Patriots did pay the option bonus early.
2.) USAToday made a mistake.
3.) I am misinterpreting the numbers.

Given what I know currently, 1 is the most likely answer, IMO.

If 1 is indeed true, I would expect it to be reported in the next couple of weeks.

Some one could drop a line to Reiss in his mailbag and ask :)

Well if we are speculating they did it for Washington then I guess we should speculate the same for Donte. Obviously the reason being ability to prorate their option bonus over six rather than 5 years. And they can convert Stallworth's roster bonuses to signing bonus as well. He will be very affordable for a couple of seasons. Wonder what if anything they will do with Gaffney - and all this will certainly make CJ's road a lot tougher. Because I can't imagine they don't get an extension done with Randy.

Well if we are speculating they did it for Washington then I guess we should speculate the same for Donte. Obviously the reason being ability to prorate their option bonus over six rather than 5 years. And they can convert Stallworth's roster bonuses to signing bonus as well. He will be very affordable for a couple of seasons. Wonder what if anything they will do with Gaffney - and all this will certainly make CJ's road a lot tougher. Because I can't imagine they don't get an extension done with Randy.

Miguel--

Here are the numbers USA Today list for Stallworth:

$700,000 salary
$1,000,000 SB
$2,306,720 other bonus
$9,606,720 total salary
$3,773,386 cap value

Thoughts?

They did the same thing to Donte Stallworth. Say his total salary is $9M+ and his cap number is a million higher as a result. They say they count all bonus money in the year in which a deal is signed, and I think they are mistakenly doing the same with option bonuses this year.

No way the Patriots would pay those before they have to since they are not recoverable should something unthinkable happen...

I consider this to be fairly conclusive evidence that the Washington option has NOT been paid.

Enough has been written about the details of the Stallworth contract (as inevitably happens when Rosenhaus thinks he has done something clever) that I feel comfortable concluding that the Stallworth option has not been picked up.

Last edited:
Why would the Pats pay 4M for a spare part receiver? It doesn't really make sense.

Why would the Pats pay 4M for a spare part receiver? It doesn't really make sense.

The only explanation I can come up with he's not being paid for his receiver role, but his special teams role?

Im sort of taken back by this move.

The guy is a god as a ST's player but worth 4 million for that reason?

It seems like Donte may be the odd man out at the end of the season.

Mike Reiss replied:
"hi miguel...i checked with kelley's agent sunday night and he informed me there has been no change, and no picking up of the option bonus...i double checked my records and there has been no change...is it possible it was a misprint by the source of the article?...mike "

Mike Reiss replied:
"hi miguel...i checked with kelley's agent sunday night and he informed me there has been no change, and no picking up of the option bonus...i double checked my records and there has been no change...is it possible it was a misprint by the source of the article?...mike "

Well that would seem to make a bit more sense that it was a mistake by the articles author.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes