PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kelly, Vereen, Washington all back at practice Wed 10/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good, unexpected, news...

I wonder if on pass rush downs, we see Chris Jones at one DE, Kelly DT, Vellano DT and Chandler Jones other DE.
Huh?
Why would you want 3 DTs on passing downs?
More like
Ninkovich-Jones-Jones-Carter

Re: Woohoo: No "DNP"s at practice today!

Wow, that'd be huge to have Kelly, Washington, Talib, Vereen back for Carolina. Right now that suprisingly looks like our toughest remaining game aside from Denver, they have looked better than the Ravens. How huge would it be for a 7-2/6-3 team after the bye to add:

-The ability to limit Ridley's touches without much of a downgrade, perhaps an upgrade and a back who can actually catch the ball
-A legit KR threat
-Stout run D with addition of Kelly and Sopoaga

Throw the Steelers a curveball:

Chris Jones-Sopoaga-Kelly
Ninkovich-Hightower-Spikes-Chandler Jones​

I doubt they will expect a 3-4 look and that looks a very, very good front 7. It's easily morphable into a 4-3 under too with Chandler putting his hand in the dirt on any given play.

Washington back as well. Nothing against Blount, but he must be the slowest kickoff returner I've ever seen besides Connolly.

Except Connolly has gain more yards on any one run than Blount :)

Huh?
Why would you want 3 DTs on passing downs?
More like
Ninkovich-Jones-Jones-Carter

Interesting, I would have gone Ninkovich/Kelly/Chris jones/ Chandler Jones, but the other is a possibility as well.

Throw the Steelers a curveball:

Chris Jones-Sopoaga-Kelly
Ninkovich-Hightower-Spikes-Chandler Jones​

I doubt they will expect a 3-4 look and that looks a very, very good front 7. It's easily morphable into a 4-3 under too with Chandler putting his hand in the dirt on any given play.
Those 3 DL are not good enough to warrant playing Jones and really Nink at this point out of position.

Interesting, I would have gone Ninkovich/Kelly/Chris jones/ Chandler Jones, but the other is a possibility as well.
Carter is a much better pass rusher than Kelly.
I'm talking 3rd and long situations where we have moved Jones inside all year long.

Re: Woohoo: No "DNP"s at practice today!

Wow, that'd be huge to have Kelly, Washington, Talib, Vereen back for Carolina. Right now that suprisingly looks like our toughest remaining game aside from Denver, they have looked better than the Ravens. How huge would it be for a 7-2/6-3 team after the bye to add:

-The ability to limit Ridley's touches without much of a downgrade, perhaps an upgrade and a back who can actually catch the ball
-A legit KR threat
-Stout run D with addition of Kelly and Sopoaga

Talib says 'Thanks for the look'.... :D

It Is What It Is » Patriots have perfect attendance at Wednesday practice

The Patriots had perfect attendance at practice on Wednesday morning, as defensive tackle Tommy Kelly and running back Leon Washington — who have been on the shelf the last couple of weeks — were back on the practice field working with the rest of the roster.

In addition, running back Shane Vereen was on the field. Vereen, who injured his wrist in a Week 1 win over the Bills, was placed on injured reserve with designation for return after the setback, meaning the earliest he can return to game action would be Week 11 vs. Carolina.

The Patriots, who went through the workout in sweats and shells, are getting set to face the Steelers Sunday at Gillette Stadium.​

Vereen back at practice for Patriots - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston

Patriots running back Shane Vereen, who injured his wrist in Week 1 and was placed on injured reserve with the designation to return, was back at practice on Wednesday, a critical step in his rehab and potential return to game action.

In being placed on IR with the designation to return, Vereen did not count against the 53-man roster, but was ineligible to practice for six weeks and must miss a total of at least eight games. Because the Patriots have a bye in Week 10, Vereen could return to the field as soon as Week 11.

He was a standout performer in the team's Week 1 win over Buffalo, rushing for a career-best 101 yards. He gives the team its best option as an up-tempo running back to catch the football out of the backfield.

Veteran defensive tackle Tommy Kelly (knee) and running back Leon Washington (ankle) were also back at practice. Each player was injured during a Week 5 loss in Cincinnati and has not practiced since. With Kelly and Washington back in the fold, all members of the 53-man roster were present.

Kelly was the team's top defensive tackle after losing Vince Wilfork for the season. The Patriots added veteran defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga, who also made his practice debut, via trade on Tuesday. After relying on rookies Chris Jones and Joe Vellano in recent weeks, a return from Kelly and Sopoaga gives the team experience along the defensive front.

Finally, the Patriots announced before practice that three rookies -- wide receiver Josh Boyce, linebacker Steve Beauharnais and defensive back Justin Green -- were named the practice players of the week for Week 8. Those players wear black jerseys for the week following their award.​

Week 9: Wednesday practice peek - perfect attendance for Patriots - Extra Points - Boston.com

The Patriots have perfect attendance at practice as they begin preparations for Sunday's game with the Steelers.

Colleague Michael Whitmer, present for the media-access window, reports that DT Tommy Kelly (knee), RB Leon Washington (ankle) as well as RB Shane Vereen (wrist) were all present and have returned after multi-week absences.

Vereen, whom the Patriots had placed on injured reserve-designated to return after breaking a bone in his wrist in Week 1 against Buffalo, is back after an eight-week absence; Kelly and Washington were both injured against the Bengals in Week 5 and had not played or practiced since.

Newly-acquired DT Isaac Sopoaga was also on the field and wearing No. 90.​

Tommy Kelly, Shane Vereen, Leon Washington, Isaac Sopoaga all at practice | The Blitz with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

Cornerback Kyle Arrington was present after leaving the second half of Sunday's game with a groin tweak.

This was the second time in the regular season when the Patriots have had perfect attendance at practice, but the only occasion (Sept. 11) was a day-before walkthrough for the Jets game. So, essentially, this is the first real practice with a full house.​

Carter is a much better pass rusher than Kelly.
I'm talking 3rd and long situations where we have moved Jones inside all year long.

My vote is for Kelly, he can push the pocket. Carter was ok as a edge setter / rusher but I don't remember him being shifted outside.

Carter's roster spot is not a lead pipe lock at this point.

I can't wait til Vereen is back in games. Outside of Gronk and Talib, I think he will be the biggest addistion of all the injured players to return. Brady has always had a check down to dump the ball off too during his career. Be it Faulk or Woodhead. But not since Vereen went down. Look at week 1 vs. Buffalo. When the offense was struggling, Brady went to Vereen and got the ball moving. He'll open up alot of options for the other players.

My vote is for Kelly, he can push the pocket. Carter was ok as a edge setter / rusher but I don't remember him being shifted outside.

Carter's roster spot is not a lead pipe lock at this point.
How is it not? He came in and after 2 practices put Buchanan on the bench and Bequette in street clothes and was the 3rd DE.

Welp, it's not all good news...

Glen Farley @GFarley_ent
Add another injury for Rob Gronkowski. #Patriots tight end limited on Wednesday at practice due to back/forearm/hamstring.

That must have been what he was getting worked on with the trainers on the sidelines this past Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3