PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keeping Score - NOT bad after THREE days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping due to the Lloyd release. I think he will be resigned at some point though.....

So where do we stand thus far?

*Gonezo*

Welker
Chung
Lloyd (as of now)

*Up & Comers*
Washington
Wilson
Jones
Amendola
Arrington
Talib
Abraham (maybe)
Sanders (maybe)

*On the Fencers*

Vollmer
Edelman

Who have I missed, guys??
you forgot danny woodhead.

Supposedly they are looking at Dumervil, which would be a huge upgrade for their pass rush. It's not too likely but still a possibility.

I would take Freeney over Abraham but would love to have both if Dumervil isn't possible.

I hate the way they dealt with Welker but Amendola should be a good player if he stays healthy. His REC, YAC, TD's, and first downs will all go up substantially with Brady throwing to him.

A. Wilson brings toughness and leadership for the young safeties and they should really benefit long term from his presence, however his cover skills are a real concern. Belichick has always focused on what players can do for them rather than trying to get them to do everything so i expect him to use him wisely and get the most out of him, T. Wilson is going to be in for him when teams are in passing situations.

D. Jones is a decent pick up as a back up WR, he's no starter.

L. Washington may still be a serious threat as a return man and he can run many of the plays Woodhead ran for them as a RB.

Talib for one year a 5 million is a great move. he simply wasn't worth a big long term investment at this point, although he may prove otherwise this season.

I have mixed feelings about Arrington because he has really sucked at times, however I also think that he plays really well as the slot DB and if they can keep him in that role full time then he may turn out to be a good player for them. Given their dearth at the position when they signed him I can't really argue with it.

With the release of Lloyd and the news that they never signed Sanders to an offer sheet they are really really hurting at WR and have to address it. I can't imagine that Belichick didn't learn the lesson of 2006 and is going into 2013 with a really questionable WR unit and really wonder if he has something up his sleeve. I'm not one to buy into the BIG rumor deals but the way this is playing out I actually do wonder about whether he has been checking on Fitzgerald's availability and getting "no way" for a few years but now sense a possible opportunity, and is scheming to get Brady the next Mosslike WR to put them over the top offensively. Longshot-definitely, but there really are deals that could be cooked up to get him if the Cards actually decided they need help at multiple postions and making the blockbuster deal actually is their best play. I don't buy the idea that they could get him for the 1 and Mallett, but believe that if they threw in Brandon Bolden and Jermaine Cunningham it might go through, pending a restructure for Fitzgerald. That's a fairly high price but may tempt the Cardinals enough to do that or a reasonable facsimile. Another possibility, one that many won't like, is that they could go Mallett, their #1, and Brandon Spikes. Most here won't like Spikes in the deal, but the truth is that hios next deal is coming up and he is going to want a really big payday, and i don't believe Belichick is going to pay him, and he may well rebel against a tag. Spikes a is a force against the run and a playmaker, but getting a run stuffing middle LB is much much easier than getting one of the greatest WR's ever, and you simply cannot make deals like that painlessly. I would try for the first option but give the second if they could redo Fitzgerald's deal. I also believe Fitzgerald wants to come here.

Re-signing Vollmer would be a great step towards making this a really good offseason, when healthy he is a great RT and their line would be set for next year at a minimum.

I would like to see Edelman back and believe that there is no player who would benefit more from returning than he would. He should do a 1 or 2 year deal and try to produce in a way that would give him the opportunity to get a bigger deal than his current utility man status does. right now he's looking a 2 million a year as worth and he could turn that into 5-6 a year if he came back and had a 60-70 catch season where he put up 700-800 yards and significant 1st downs and YAC. he would be better off going short term than taking a 3-4 year 6-8 million dollar deal. One good year could significantly upgrade his leverage and the Patriots should play that card hard.

They still have a good deal of cap space and plenty of needs so where they go with this should be fascinating. I think Belichick is dong a remake of this team in terms of its attitude and approach and wants them to be much more physical and aggressive. They can get by on talent in the regular season but in the play-offs you have to win the fisfight to win the game. You can't outexecute while taking the beating. Talib and Wilson indicate a bigger more physical secondary, which will pay off in the play-offs, where regular season basketball rules tend to disappear and banging is legal again. I Dowling fits that mold as well if he can stay on the field, as does T. Wilson, and Arrington gives them quickness in the slot. The interest in Freeney and Abraham shows the desire to really upgrade DE and the pass rush, they really are 4-3 team now and he wants speed off the edge. WR is really the big outstanding question, and it needs alot of work from here on out, however they have the tools and flexibility to do waht they need to.

Overall a decent start but still a long way to go, this should be an interesting week.

BTW-I think Lloyd was cut because of intangibles, not his numbers. belichick wants players who love football and want to work, i think Lloyd is a somewhat strange guy who has a kind of hapless attitude. if he succeeds, fine, if he doesn't, that's fine too. I think that makes Belichick nuts and he would rather change the culture and attitude and take the risk that he can fill the hole in production.

Supposedly they are looking at Dumervil, which would be a huge upgrade for their pass rush. It's not too likely but still a possibility.

I would take Freeney over Abraham but would love to have both if Dumervil isn't possible.

I hate the way they dealt with Welker but Amendola should be a good player if he stays healthy. His REC, YAC, TD's, and first downs will all go up substantially with Brady throwing to him.

A. Wilson brings toughness and leadership for the young safeties and they should really benefit long term from his presence, however his cover skills are a real concern. Belichick has always focused on what players can do for them rather than trying to get them to do everything so i expect him to use him wisely and get the most out of him, T. Wilson is going to be in for him when teams are in passing situations.

D. Jones is a decent pick up as a back up WR, he's no starter.

L. Washington may still be a serious threat as a return man and he can run many of the plays Woodhead ran for them as a RB.

Talib for one year a 5 million is a great move. he simply wasn't worth a big long term investment at this point, although he may prove otherwise this season.

I have mixed feelings about Arrington because he has really sucked at times, however I also think that he plays really well as the slot DB and if they can keep him in that role full time then he may turn out to be a good player for them. Given their dearth at the position when they signed him I can't really argue with it.

With the release of Lloyd and the news that they never signed Sanders to an offer sheet they are really really hurting at WR and have to address it. I can't imagine that Belichick didn't learn the lesson of 2006 and is going into 2013 with a really questionable WR unit and really wonder if he has something up his sleeve. I'm not one to buy into the BIG rumor deals but the way this is playing out I actually do wonder about whether he has been checking on Fitzgerald's availability and getting "no way" for a few years but now sense a possible opportunity, and is scheming to get Brady the next Mosslike WR to put them over the top offensively. Longshot-definitely, but there really are deals that could be cooked up to get him if the Cards actually decided they need help at multiple postions and making the blockbuster deal actually is their best play. I don't buy the idea that they could get him for the 1 and Mallett, but believe that if they threw in Brandon Bolden and Jermaine Cunningham it might go through, pending a restructure for Fitzgerald. That's a fairly high price but may tempt the Cardinals enough to do that or a reasonable facsimile. Another possibility, one that many won't like, is that they could go Mallett, their #1, and Brandon Spikes. Most here won't like Spikes in the deal, but the truth is that hios next deal is coming up and he is going to want a really big payday, and i don't believe Belichick is going to pay him, and he may well rebel against a tag. Spikes a is a force against the run and a playmaker, but getting a run stuffing middle LB is much much easier than getting one of the greatest WR's ever, and you simply cannot make deals like that painlessly. I would try for the first option but give the second if they could redo Fitzgerald's deal. I also believe Fitzgerald wants to come here.

Re-signing Vollmer would be a great step towards making this a really good offseason, when healthy he is a great RT and their line would be set for next year at a minimum.

I would like to see Edelman back and believe that there is no player who would benefit more from returning than he would. He should do a 1 or 2 year deal and try to produce in a way that would give him the opportunity to get a bigger deal than his current utility man status does. right now he's looking a 2 million a year as worth and he could turn that into 5-6 a year if he came back and had a 60-70 catch season where he put up 700-800 yards and significant 1st downs and YAC. he would be better off going short term than taking a 3-4 year 6-8 million dollar deal. One good year could significantly upgrade his leverage and the Patriots should play that card hard.

They still have a good deal of cap space and plenty of needs so where they go with this should be fascinating. I think Belichick is dong a remake of this team in terms of its attitude and approach and wants them to be much more physical and aggressive. They can get by on talent in the regular season but in the play-offs you have to win the fisfight to win the game. You can't outexecute while taking the beating. Talib and Wilson indicate a bigger more physical secondary, which will pay off in the play-offs, where regular season basketball rules tend to disappear and banging is legal again. I Dowling fits that mold as well if he can stay on the field, as does T. Wilson, and Arrington gives them quickness in the slot. The interest in Freeney and Abraham shows the desire to really upgrade DE and the pass rush, they really are 4-3 team now and he wants speed off the edge. WR is really the big outstanding question, and it needs alot of work from here on out, however they have the tools and flexibility to do waht they need to.

Overall a decent start but still a long way to go, this should be an interesting week.

Really impressive analysis and commentary, Ivan!! Outstanding!!!

Great analysis Ivan but why would you want Freeney over Abraham? Any DE we bring in is to have a lasting impact on Chandler Jones. Abraham's style is more like how we would want Jones to play. Freeney sells out against the pass and his arsenal of moves (which is basically all about speed) isn't Chandler Jones's strength.

Great analysis Ivan but why would you want Freeney over Abraham? Any DE we bring in is to have a lasting impact on Chandler Jones. Abraham's style is more like how we would want Jones to play. Freeney sells out against the pass and his arsenal of moves (which is basically all about speed) isn't Chandler Jones's strength.

I think Freeney has much more left in the tank than Abraham and like A. Wilson Belichick would use him for his strengths and not as an everydown player. he is still explosive and could really help them get after the QB. Dumervil or both Freeney and Abraham would be the better option but ultimately I would be fine with any of them.

Re: Keeping Score - NOT bad after FIVE days

AMENDOLA replaces Welker

WASHINGTON replaces Woodhead and probably Demps (Vereen's improvement will help).

JONES replaces Branch.

HOOMAN is tendered

ARRINGTON is re-signed.

TALIB is re-signed.

WILSON replaces Chung.

KOUTOUVIDES is re-signed.

THOMAS is gone as expected. I expect an OL signing later in the offseason.

There is no action on re-signs or replacements for LLOYD, VOLLMER, EDELMAN, THOMAS and COLE.
===========

Also, we are seriously talking to pass-rushers. This seems to be the top priority at the moment. Possibilities include Dumervil, Freeney and Abraham.

Cole's name is listed to remind us that we need a top special teamer (as he Is) as well as competition for Dowling's backup spot.

Finally, we are discussing trades, although one may or may not materialize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes