PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Justin Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had by far the easiest assignment of the three starting CBs (Butler v. Marshall, Ryan v. Decker, Coleman v. Owusu) but did well, especially on fly routes, where Fletcher was panicking.

For a rookie (a UDFA one at that) I thought he did well, I thought his performance was very promising. Butler clearly improved as the year went on during his rookie season last year, people weren't raving about him 5 games into his rookie season. I'm not comparing Coleman to Butler yet (hitting on two UDFA cornerbacks that become as good as Butler would be too good to be true), but hopefully Coleman will improve during his rookie year just as Butler did.

Last edited:
@MikeReiss: Bill Belichick highlights 3rd-and-7 pass breakup by Justin Coleman on defense, w/ 5:44 remaining, as 1 of most important plays in game (1/2)

@MikeReiss: Bill Belichick said Coleman, running w/ speedy rookie Devin Smith, played good technique to turn as ball arrived. If not, probably PI. (2/2)

@Ryan_Riddle: UDFA rookie CB Justin Coleman was released by a few teams this year but is settling into a nice role in NE. I was high on him. Big upside.

@ChrisTrapasso: Young & super athletic. Very fluid. Ryan Riddle on Twitter

Last edited:
Watching Coleman, I thought he was bigger than he really is. Physically he's pretty much an Asante Samuel clone: average straight-line speed but excellent quickness and leaping ability, and good body control. Their respective Combine measurables...

Samuel: 5'10 7/8" 185 4.53/2.66/1.59 9 35.5" 10'00" 4.14 6.95
Coleman: 5'10 5/8" 185 4.53/2.60/1.53 20 37.5" 10'04" 3.98 6.61

Watching Coleman, I thought he was bigger than he really is. Physically he's pretty much an Asante Samuel clone: average straight-line speed but excellent quickness and leaping ability, and good body control. Their respective Combine measurables...

I loved Coleman coming out and advocated for a day 3 pick for him in the draft forum. He has better numbers than Samuel in all of the change of direction and burst measurables. I figured coming out he would have to earn his spot as a special teams player where he excelled at UT but he hasn't quite stood out there like I thought he would.

I loved Coleman coming out and advocated for a day 3 pick for him in the draft forum. He has better numbers than Samuel in all of the change of direction and burst measurables. I figured coming out he would have to earn his spot as a special teams player where he excelled at UT but he hasn't quite stood out there like I thought he would.

Coleman was absolutely a draftable prospect (unlike that bum Butler ;)). The 20 reps stand out for a 185-lb. DB, too.

I think it's easy to lose perspective on rookies especially with regards to the hyper state of media coverage. One almost wants to assume that that ratings & hype are infallible. We all know that's not the case ....when we see an UDFA coming out of nowhere and win us a Super Bowl.
...apparently Justin Coleman flew under the radar too... Somewhat!! So just maybe Hoodie has another up his sleeve and the trade deadline coming and going is no big deal! A little coaching, lots of reps, and the end of the season starts to look different.

Combine Prospects Nobody Noticed

Coleman had the best 3 cone at the combine among DBs.

Interestingly :

Jordan Richards was 3rd.
Darryl Roberts' pro day 3 cone would have been 2nd among DBs had he been at the combine and ran his 6.66.
We had Garry Peters in for a workout this week, his 3 cone was 8th best among DBs at the combine. As we didn't trade for a CB, I wouldn't be shocked if Peters gets signed to the Practice Squad.

The Patriots' love of the 3 cone continues.

Last edited:
I loved Coleman coming out and advocated for a day 3 pick for him in the draft forum.
The Wells and ****son picks were weird, at the time. We took Wells over Roberts, Coleman and La'el Collins and ****son over the latter two. Understanding the issues with Collins, it was weird to pass on those three for Wells and ****son. I liked the Derby pick but these two were a little weird. Our draft looks good now anyway but can look even better if you just slip Coleman into Wells' spot.

Is coleman a free agent next season

Wow, I would have sworn he was bigger than that.

Wow, I would have sworn he was bigger than that.
Who Asante or Coleman?

Seemed to me that Coleman is/was bigger than Asante

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results