PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Justin Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
@KevinRDuffy: Justin Coleman brings added swagger to Patriots secondary http://t.co/cri6jmaaMM via @masslivenews

@KevinRDuffy: When Justin Coleman found out he'd be covering Allen Robinson, he told Malcolm Butler, "All I want them to do is throw the ball my way.

Well the kid has the right attitude atleast. Here's to maybe another UDFA find.

42 snaps, 2/4 57 yards yesterday

@KevinRDuffy: Justin Coleman brings added swagger to Patriots secondary http://t.co/cri6jmaaMM via @masslivenews

@KevinRDuffy: When Justin Coleman found out he'd be covering Allen Robinson, he told Malcolm Butler, "All I want them to do is throw the ball my way.

Well the kid has the right attitude atleast. Here's to maybe another UDFA find.

42 snaps, 2/4 57 yards yesterday

AR beat him a couple of times. Seemed outmatched on a couple throws but competed hard IMO. Ar is a tough match up for everyone.

He was better than Fletcher.

What was up with Brown dressed, helmet off and not even seeing the field? Discipline?

AR beat him a couple of times. Seemed outmatched on a couple throws but competed hard IMO. Ar is a tough match up for everyone.

What was up with Brown dressed, helmet off and not even seeing the field? Discipline?

Discipline, or maybe they felt he was too hurt to play in an ideal game (which this turned out to be) but too good to make inactive given the rest of the CB roster.

The early theory is he's nursing a minor injury suffered in the Bills game. BB wanted him available in case the game got close, but the other CB's probably gave him enough confidence during the week to not push Brown unless 100% necessary.

I can't wait for us to win a Super Bowl with two UDFA CBs and UDFA center and then the following May: "Roger Goodell slams Patriots with penalty for being awesome. Only allowed to sign one UDFA per year going forward."

The early theory is he's nursing a minor injury suffered in the Bills game. BB wanted him available in case the game got close, but the other CB's probably gave him enough confidence during the week to not push Brown unless 100% necessary.

In a sense, this sounds like the Saints game in 2009, where the Pats took advantage of Edelman's QB-eligible # and designated him as the third QB. Of course, in that game, he didn't come in because it got out of hand against NE, but he would have been available in Q4 if needed.

I thought Coleman looked pretty good. Brown has been OK. Butler is a legit #1 CB. Ryan is an OK #4. Roberts will be back from IR next year. The position looks a lot better than I thought going into TC.

Coleman looked okay yesterday. Robinson is a good WR--better than the stats show--so it's not like he was getting beaten by a scrub, but he was cleanly beaten when he lost his balance a few times. Still better than Fletcher, and better than I expected from an UDFA rookie, but I doubt anyone will be declaring him the answer at CB3 after one week. Maybe he grows into that role.

I thought Coleman looked pretty good. Brown has been OK. Butler is a legit #1 CB. Ryan is an OK #4. Roberts will be back from IR next year. The position looks a lot better than I thought going into TC.

Losing Roberts was a major bummer. He looked really promising in the preseason, and would be the CB3 by now if healthy. Would've been great to see if his preseason performance had carried over.

I had forgotten that he was a bit dinged up vs BUF. Thanks. Makes sense

I like our secondary besides fletcher. A few years ago it was our Achilles heel now with some experience for the young ones I think our future looks good.

Losing Roberts was a major bummer. He looked really promising in the preseason, and would be the CB3 by now if healthy. Would've been great to see if his preseason performance had carried over.
I agree. He'd be getting Coleman's snaps and maybe even Ryan's. Hell maybe even Brown's?

He did not look out of place at all vs GB and Jordy Nelson.

Hope he can come back in 2016 and start

So far so good with Coleman, though he has a way to go. The bye week is good timing for him, maybe he can get some extra work or film time in. He is an upgrade over Fletcher at the very least.

Coleman looked okay yesterday. Robinson is a good WR--better than the stats show--so it's not like he was getting beaten by a scrub, but he was cleanly beaten when he lost his balance a few times. Still better than Fletcher, and better than I expected from an UDFA rookie, but I doubt anyone will be declaring him the answer at CB3 after one week. Maybe he grows into that role.

What adds to the intrique is that Coleman essentially moved to CB2 (outside) and Ryan to the slot.

What adds to the intrique is that Coleman essentially moved to CB2 (outside) and Ryan to the slot.

I think that was more a matchup thing than a depth chart thing, but definitely. Specifically, Ryan is essentially the new Arrington. If you put him in the slot, where the play will usually be in front of him and he'll be able to attack the ball, he's... not good, but serviceable at least. He's a willing tackler, solid in run support, pretty good at reading the QB/receiver and will occasionally make a great play on the ball. But put him on the edge where he gets turned around and has to cover downfield, and everything bad about him--lack of size, lack of straight-line speed, poor technique, etc.--all comes together to expose him in the worst ways.

I think that was more a matchup thing than a depth chart thing, but definitely. Specifically, Ryan is essentially the new Arrington. If you put him in the slot, where the play will usually be in front of him and he'll be able to attack the ball, he's... not good, but serviceable at least. He's a willing tackler, solid in run support, pretty good at reading the QB/receiver and will occasionally make a great play on the ball. But put him on the edge where he gets turned around and has to cover downfield, and everything bad about him--lack of size, lack of straight-line speed, poor technique, etc.--all comes together to expose him in the worst ways.
I agree. Ryan on the outside is a disaster waiting to happen.

In a sense, this sounds like the Saints game in 2009, where the Pats took advantage of Edelman's QB-eligible # and designated him as the third QB. Of course, in that game, he didn't come in because it got out of hand against NE, but he would have been available in Q4 if needed.

Didn't Troy Brown get that designation despite wearing 80? Although that would imply that he was inactive...

By the time we hit Nov I think the base rotation will be Butler, Coleman with Brown in the slot. Ryan Logan will be the dime CB inside in that grouping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes