PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Judge Berman comments on deflate gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article. Too bad was already written and the interview was already held before the NHL ruling came down yesterday:
OT-ish: Deflategate cuts against management for a change

This is exactly why they needed to have a "state of arbitration" roundtable forum. And he is behaving quite correctly as a judge as you note - saying that he sticks by his guns on his original ruling, but if a similar case came up today he'd have to rule the other way because of the new precedent.

Gotta love it! This is still the guy I said he was when he was assigned the case...

My favorite part is that he says all the right things about the "precedent" set by the Appeals Court, but then lets fly with these zingers:

"The commissioner’s arbitration award was not entitled to “deference” by the courts also because he had a personal stake in the outcome of the appeal. That is, he had an incurable conflict of interest, evident partiality, and could not possibly be fair … he was reviewing the discipline which he himself had imposed. Under these circumstances, the commissioner’s appeal decision must be held to a much higher level of scrutiny by the courts."

and

"Even though it is provided in the collective bargaining agreement, in my opinion, it makes no sense that the person who made the decision would hear the appeal of that same decision. That person, try as they might, cannot be fair and cannot be objective. It’s just this inherent conflict of interest. You could argue, OK, they negotiated it and put it in there, and that is true, but as a judge looking at a situation like that, there is just no way that I am going to find that it is fair. So, I would do it the same way."

and, the icing on the cake:

"I have had other big cases. When I first started, I had this fabulous wine case. Not a criminal case, but a civil case, having to do with importation of wine from out of state, which was illegal in New York State. I ruled that that law was unconstitutional. I immediately got reversed 3-0 by the Second Circuit, but then it went to the Supreme Court and the Second Circuit got reversed 5-4. That case is in the same league as Deflategate. On the two occasions that I have had cases go to the Supremes after being reversed, they have been reversed."

So Berman is saying those two judges in the appeals are idiots, corrupt pieces of ****s, or they just didn't care.
He's saying they made the wrong decision. We are left to speculate on the reasons.

IMHO:

Kessler, not an Appellate Lawyer, was out of his depth arguing before an Appeals Court; he was woefully unprepared, as has been pointed out by many others. The Appeal should have been handled from the get go by Ted Olson.

The rest has been hashed and re-hashed out her ad nauseam and I just "cut" three paragraphs from this post, lest we start it all over again.

So Berman is saying those two judges in the appeals are idiots, corrupt pieces of ****s, or they just didn't care.

I'd bet heavily on the latter. Forget the BS from CHB Judge Berman clearly did his homework and understood the case and what was at stake. So did Katzmann in his dissent.

Chin and Parker's opinion felt like they just looked up arbitration in some book and ruled the way the text book told them to just to get this off their plate.

I lean toward the opinion that this case would not have ended well for Brady beyond CA2 but it would have been interesting to hear what SCOTUS had to say.

Last edited:
Judge Berman knew what was up. Whole thing was BS to him and Pats proved it twice with SB Wins and proving him right killin 2 birds (Seahawks & Falcons and/or 2 judges out of 3*) with league* controlled footballs.

Gotta love it! This is still the guy I said he was when he was assigned the case...

My favorite part is that he says all the right things about the "precedent" set by the Appeals Court, but then lets fly with these zingers:

"The commissioner’s arbitration award was not entitled to “deference” by the courts also because he had a personal stake in the outcome of the appeal. That is, he had an incurable conflict of interest, evident partiality, and could not possibly be fair … he was reviewing the discipline which he himself had imposed. Under these circumstances, the commissioner’s appeal decision must be held to a much higher level of scrutiny by the courts."

and

"Even though it is provided in the collective bargaining agreement, in my opinion, it makes no sense that the person who made the decision would hear the appeal of that same decision. That person, try as they might, cannot be fair and cannot be objective. It’s just this inherent conflict of interest. You could argue, OK, they negotiated it and put it in there, and that is true, but as a judge looking at a situation like that, there is just no way that I am going to find that it is fair. So, I would do it the same way."

and, the icing on the cake:

"I have had other big cases. When I first started, I had this fabulous wine case. Not a criminal case, but a civil case, having to do with importation of wine from out of state, which was illegal in New York State. I ruled that that law was unconstitutional. I immediately got reversed 3-0 by the Second Circuit, but then it went to the Supreme Court and the Second Circuit got reversed 5-4. That case is in the same league as Deflategate. On the two occasions that I have had cases go to the Supremes after being reversed, they have been reversed."

I'm a lawyer, and I think had Tom pursued an upward appeal, he'd have eventually won, due to these exact reasons Berman cites. I also think the precedent set by the District Court's ruling will definitely be overturned in due time by another case (NFL or other union-type suit) that DOES exercise upward appeal to the US Court of Appeals or the Supreme Court.

I'm a lawyer, and I think had Tom pursued an upward appeal, he'd have eventually won, due to these exact reasons Berman cites. I also think the precedent set by the District Court's ruling will definitely be overturned in due time by another case (NFL or other union-type suit) that DOES exercise upward appeal to the US Court of Appeals or the Supreme Court.

I hope you are right, because as a non-lawyer the way it sounds to me is that Berman knows he ruled correctly, but couldn't in the future now that a legal precedent has been set.

I hope you are right, because as a non-lawyer the way it sounds to me is that Berman knows he ruled correctly, but couldn't in the future now that a legal precedent has been set.
That's exactly correct. Berman's hands, and the hands of all district judges in the Second Circuit are tied -- they are all required to follow Second Circuit appellate precedent.

This judge is the fearless champion of the downtrodden masses and the hero of the oppressed.

Best judge ive ever read about
He's like Judy, Reinhold and Dredd all rolled into one. When I look in a dictionary in the future at the word Judge I just want to see a photo of this legend.

Hey. the four game rest worked out just swell. Heck we can even send the commisioner a fruit basket after we get the first back for Jimmy.

I heart Judge Berman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back