PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Wilson Climbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Well according to three different sources some rate Wilson as the fourth best CB in the draft, and he could go in the late first round.

One ex-pro scout Rush Lande is among the sources saying Wilson could go late first to mid-second.

John Murphy of Yahoo Sports on the '07 High-Risers "2. Maryland senior cornerback Josh Wilson
Wilson's straight-line speed (4.33/4.39) to go along with his high character and intangibles could make him this year's version of Fabian Washington – a speedy, under-sized cornerback who went from third- to fifth-round consideration to first-round choice (No. 23) by the Oakland Raiders two years ago.

Although he is just 188 pounds, Wilson's ability to read and react so quickly to the play allows him to contribute against the run, and he is one of the best all-around special teams prospects on the board. The NFL is lacking in cover corners, so when combined with Wilson's background, physical tools and ability to contribute immediately on nickel/dime packages and special teams units, he should be drafted over several other higher profile cornerbacks."

So, maybe NE should take this guy at 28? I've been on the bandwagon from the start, but I didn't think he'd climb this high. I do think he's among the top 3-4 CB's for NE's defense.

Last edited:
I like Wilson more than Ross, Houston and Wright. I also like Daymeon Hughes more than Wilson.

He's been my #3 for the Pats for at least a day or two.

He's been my #3 for the Pats for at least a day or two.

Haha, yea I've been saying I knew they were interested in him since the combine. I've been on the bandwagon from the start. He was in all my early mocks, and I really like him. I like him, and he's been on my list for the past few months. He's been one of my favorite CB's for awhile now.

:D :rofl:

Well according to three different sources some rate Wilson as the fourth best CB in the draft, and he could go in the late first round.

One ex-pro scout Rush Lande is among the sources saying Wilson could go late first to mid-second.

John Murphy of Yahoo Sports on the '07 High-Risers "2. Maryland senior cornerback Josh Wilson
Wilson's straight-line speed (4.33/4.39) to go along with his high character and intangibles could make him this year's version of Fabian Washington – a speedy, under-sized cornerback who went from third- to fifth-round consideration to first-round choice (No. 23) by the Oakland Raiders two years ago.

Although he is just 188 pounds, Wilson's ability to read and react so quickly to the play allows him to contribute against the run, and he is one of the best all-around special teams prospects on the board. The NFL is lacking in cover corners, so when combined with Wilson's background, physical tools and ability to contribute immediately on nickel/dime packages and special teams units, he should be drafted over several other higher profile cornerbacks."

So, maybe NE should take this guy at 28? I've been on the bandwagon from the start, but I didn't think he'd climb this high. I do think he's among the top 3-4 CB's for NE's defense.

How can anyone be rising or falling? The people that make the picks certainly don't show their hands and any info they do leak is probably done so to set people off on the wrong trail. I think those in the business of publishing mocks make changes just so we'll have something new to read and buy. Pro days, the combine etc are good to pass the time, imo the pros make their decisions based on game film and that doesn't change. If Brady Quinn goes #2 does that mean that his stock was high, fell and then rose again or did his stock never change? I say the latter. All this stock up and stock down crap is generated by the media to get us to keep watching and reading. Would you buy a draft mag in late March if it had all the same ratings as one from late Feb.?

Haha, yea I've been saying I knew they were interested in him since the combine. I've been on the bandwagon from the start. He was in all my early mocks, and I really like him. I like him, and he's been on my list for the past few months. He's been one of my favorite CB's for awhile now.

:D :rofl:
That is funny. I can enjoy a good ball bustin' as much as the next guy, but those quotes are all true.:D

Last edited:
What about next week? Are you just fickle?
I need to check my calendar, but I think Wilson moves to #1 and Eric Weddle takes his turn as my #3.

Haha, yea I've been saying I knew they were interested in him since the combine. I've been on the bandwagon from the start.

Hah! I built the damn bandwagon, cubit by cubit.

Last edited:
It's true, Uncle Hetster builds fine wagons, it's his skill at hiring muscians which we all deplore.

Can someone please explain how Wilson is that much better than Ellis Hobbs, who was taken at 84?

Can someone please explain how Wilson is that much better than Ellis Hobbs, who was taken at 84?

I don't know. Do you want to explain how Justin Harrell is that much better than Marquise Hill, who was taken at 63?

You do know that I was quoting someone else, correct? :)

Won't do bandwagons, won't follow nor lead the way. This old hippie still steps to the music he hears in the woods of VT. :singing:

I don't know. Do you want to explain how Justin Harrell is that much better than Marquise Hill, who was taken at 63?

No I don't. I haven't been paying much attention to first-day DLinemen, for obvious reasons.

I can explain, however, how Mike Wright is that much better than Marquise Hill.

No I don't. I haven't been paying much attention to first-day DLinemen, for obvious reasons.

I can explain, however, how Mike Wright is that much better than Marquise Hill.

I guess I just don't understand the rhetorical question.

1. How is anybody going to know if Wilson, or any other draftee, is better than the starter on a very good roster until they play some NFL games, and

2. Why does a draft pick have to be better than the starter on the roster to justify taking him. I'll go on record saying that barring injury, none of our draft picks goes into week one as a starter.

I think Wilson will be better than Hobbs, although probably not right away. But I don't think there's an empirical way to demonstrate why.

I guess I just don't understand the rhetorical question.

I think Wilson will be better than Hobbs, although probably not right away. But I don't think there's an empirical way to demonstrate why.

I think what I'm trying to say is: Josh Wilson is being considered, by some, as a possibility with 28. I just don't see the value there, not when Ellis Hobbs, a CB of similar physical makeup, lasted until 84 in '05. I see Wilson as a mid/late 2nd-rounder, who will almost certainly be selected before 91. I'm hoping that a CB, FS or ILB of greater value is available at 24/28. If not, then I would try to trade down; unfortunately, there might not be many willing trading partners this year, according to Peter King's MMQB.

........But I don't think there's an empirical way to demonstrate why.

What??? Dang, just when I thought you were on to something. I'll keep hoping for that breakthrough, though.

I think what I'm trying to say is: Josh Wilson is being considered, by some, as a possibility with 28. I just don't see the value there, not when Ellis Hobbs, a CB of similar physical makeup, lasted until 84 in '05. I see Wilson as a mid/late 2nd-rounder, who will almost certainly be selected before 91. I'm hoping that a CB, FS or ILB of greater value is available at 24/28. If not, then I would try to trade down; unfortunately, there might not be many willing trading partners this year, according to Peter King's MMQB.

I'm with you now. Assuming the players are similar, their worth is presumably in a similar draft spot.

This is definitely where the absence of a second rounder hurts us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick