PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonas Gray Released [9/14 Update - This Time By Dolphins]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always thought he was a jag that didnt catch passes or play st but I thought he was safe because he ran with power unlike guys like White.

We'll find out Thursday because we're playing without him.

Not worried about Thursday - - Pittsburgh is a crap defense.

But when they have to play a Buffalo or Denver or NYJ, they will need as much of their offensive personnel available.

I can't say that I necessarily agree with your first paragraph, but I do find your second to be quite reasonable. I agree that Belichick and the organization seem to hold Bolden in higher regard than about 90% of the people on this forum.

He's effective on STs, has proven the ability to be a lead back when called upon, and has been able to pick up the blitz. On top of that, he has experience in our system, fits in well, and is cheap. I don't believe that he was ever on the bubble for a second.

I can't imagine anyone thought Bolden was on the bubble for a second. He's ST ace and can fill in well as a RB - - he has on several occasions. But consistently playing all 4 ST's AND fulltime RB (if no Gray and if Blount is out due to pot or injury) would be overworking Bolden and asking for trouble.

Honestly I think he will move on from us if we even talk to him about the practice squad honestly I could see Pitt signing him and facing him week 1.

I could see Rex taking him very easily.

The people hammering Gray for allegedly having a bad attitude seem like the people hammering Brady for cheating. Both are working off what they BELIEVE instead of any available facts.

One fact we DO know. Our only remaining lead big RB, left his team and the field in the middle of a game last year and is suspended for game 1. We're putting a LOT of belief and prayers for health on LeGarrette Blount.

Great post...I couldn't agree more.

One thing I learned from the TB12/defamegate circus is just how impressionable I am to leaks. I think the Patriots (or their beat writer/tweeters) may be just as guilty as the NFL in terms of negative leaks at the perfect time to sway public opinion.
For instance, you have BB praising Reggie Wayne publicly (as he does most vets, even Ocho)...but Zolak tweeting about about how "the work environment was too tough."
On Jonas Gray - here is what my layman eyes told me: He was the hardest running back on our team. He hits every hole hard...even when there isn't one. He does not fumble. He has come up big when given the opportunity. And yes...I preferred him to watching Blount dance to a 1 yard gain.
He was my most highly projected Patriots RB...but I am sure BB knows much more about any of this stuff than I do (hopefully the move was performance-based and not ego-based).

Just means 1000 yds from Lewis which would be awesone but unlikely I would be stoked for half of that production out of him.

Wrong.

Chicago and Miami games too.

Basically, whenever BB gave him a chance.

In fact, any game they let him carry more than 12 times, he averaged over 5 yds per carry.

It's like the old Dean Smith joke about how he was the last person to keep Michael Jordan under 20 points per game.

I love the analogy (even though you will be accused of comparing Gray to MJ).
...except MJ '82-'85 played with the likes of Brad Doherty, Big Game James Worthy, Smooth Sam Perkins, and Kenny the Jet Smith. It was ok to share the ball with those guys.

He is an adequate runner with no other skills. That's isn't enough on this team.

I can't say that I necessarily agree with your first paragraph, but I do find your second to be quite reasonable. I agree that Belichick and the organization seem to hold Bolden in higher regard than about 90% of the people on this forum.

He's effective on STs, has proven the ability to be a lead back when called upon, and has been able to pick up the blitz. On top of that, he has experience in our system, fits in well, and is cheap. I don't believe that he was ever on the bubble for a second.
Supa, I usually see your overall point even when I disagree with some of the details. Though it does not happen often, it does happen. I suppose this time is no different. I do see your overall premise, but to say Bolden is only "effective" on ST's is selling him way short. He was an absolute stud last season. I could argue his play on ST's changed whole games or at least swung momentum for the Pats. BB has often, and I mean often, talked about the importance of ST's. He never allows for that phase of the game to be a step below the other two. Therefore, and this is where you hit with pinpoint precision, "Belichick and the organization [do] hold Bolden in a higher regard than about 90% of the people on this forum." And rightfully so. I couldn't care less if he gets a single play on offense so long as he continues to play the way he has on ST's.

Yeah , I got a kick out of that too. We could probably suite up Antoinee Smith and he could hang 150'yards on the Colts lame defense.

200. Though Antowain could be lackadaisical in camp, people underestimate how good a running back he was. He was a first round pick.

.....and what happens if he gets hurt or smokes a joint?

Besides getting hurt or smoking a joint, he could punch out an opponent, or confront the crowd, or get suspended for arguing with the coach (which has happened many times). Blount has a long history of knuckleheadedness. So far BB is evidently willing to put up with it because of Blount's good production for the low price, but I can't believe Blount isn't on a very, very short leash.

BB let Ridley go and Vareen go, which surprised me (especially Vareen). He just let Gray go, for reasons that we don't know, but this is the guy that didn't bother get up in time for practice after appearing on the cover of sports illustrated.

Let's face it folks, BB has become convinced that he can plug in any ol' running back and the team will be fine. He just doesn't put any priority on the running back position.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/640566853438427136

That should say a lot. Minimum salary with no guarantees, and nobody wanted him.

Yeah, I was just going to post that he passed through waivers. It seems pretty clear that every NFL personnel decision maker including Belichick and Caserio think less of Gray than people on this board.

Hell, the Cowboys who are desperate at RB decided to trade a conditional draft pick for Christine Michael who has 254 career yards and 0 TDs than using a waiver claim on Gray.

Not that surprised. Gray may be one of the most overrated players in the boards history.

Seems rest of the league isn't as high on him as the board here.

Not that surprised. Gray may be one of the most overrated players in the boards history.
Yeah, I'm really surprised by the amount of hand-wringing here. He's a back-up rb that didn't offer much beyond what they already had.

If Blount gets hurt, he (or somebody similar) will get a call. Can't keep everybody on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes