PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Lynch visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. I see Sanders seeing equal (if not slightly more) PT than Rodney. I doubt either Rodney or Lynch will be on the field in passing situations, as both are liabilities.

Not thrilled about a Lynch signing, but in BB we trust.
Lynch will be in as a hybrid LB on 3rd down...what they had planned with Tank...he will be fine with covering a TE/RB...and will be a backup for Rodney..

Last edited:
Lynch... so hot right now... Lynch

Maybe they could sign George Lynch to come in and guitar solo the opponents to death...

George%20Lynch.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe they could sign George Lynch to come in and guitar solo the opponents to death...

George%20Lynch.jpg

:rofl:

10 characters

Zakk_Wylde-12205.jpg

and Zakk would make a nice outside backer...

Since we're on the topic...

Remember this guy from Alice Cooper back in the day? Kane Roberts. I think he could eat some puny little o-linemen for dinner.

k1.jpg

(I'll leave EDGEcRUSHING to Fear Factory.

Are you sure that Lynch wants to come?

Ostensibly, he left Denver because he wasn't happy with the playing time he figured to get there. He still wants to be a starter. In NE, he'd be splitting time with Rodney, James Sanders, and Merriweather. Now, BB is always very clear about how he sees a player being used, and my guess has painted Lynch a picture of the role he sees him playing in the defense. Maybe this will be enough for Lynch, maybe it won't.
He takes 3rd safety from Sanders but 3rd down LB for Teddy?
DW Toys

Lynch will be in as a hybrid LB on 3rd down...what they had planned with Tank...he will be fine with covering a TE/RB...and will be a backup for Rodney..

Exactly, he will be the hybrid, and it will probably be more than 3rd down... we used 3 safeties quite a bit last year at times.

I'm going out on a limb and saying it will be a sign and trade with Carolina for our boy Seward ;)

In all seriousness, it's not like we looked at Tank and thought "blazing speed" so I'm not sure why some are unsure about bringing in a 1 year replacement while Tank rehabs for that hybrid role? As many have already mentioned, having a big safety who can sort of run with RBs and TEs play LB in pass situations makes a lot of sense...since Rodney can't do it every play, it makes a lot of sense to me that they bring in a Lynch type to spell him. Now it's just about whether BB feels he can do the job, and whether they feel he's worth the money imo.

So, who was right? Finally, one of those "so and so got cut, let's grab him" threads gets at least a hint of street cred.

Surprises me, but if we didn't have those threads, why would we read threads?

Knowing who's available and the particulars better than the papers deliver do is 90% of the greatness of this site IMO.

I was opposed, but could be a great cost benefit situation now.

A hitter who can cover backs and TEs. Sounds like a Tank replacement.

Are you sure that Lynch wants to come?

Ostensibly, he left Denver because he wasn't happy with the playing time he figured to get there. He still wants to be a starter. In NE, he'd be splitting time with Rodney, James Sanders, and Merriweather. Now, BB is always very clear about how he sees a player being used, and my guess has painted Lynch a picture of the role he sees him playing in the defense. Maybe this will be enough for Lynch, maybe it won't.

Denver plays a 4-3 defense. Could be is days as a starting safety are over, but he could extend himself with this hybrid ilb/s role in the 3-4. He's a smart guy and probably saw the handwriting on the wall.

I think you hit it. Tank was going to fill an pretty important role, I think-and him going on IR already really stinks. I think he was going to be good-losing him is disappointing. Rodney's had his share of injuries because he goes for it ALL everytime, plus he's probably not too far from retirement. An experienced back-up for Rodney would be very nice to have around-just in case.

I hope the Lynch visit works out.

I just wonder about the fact that Mike Shanahan let him go and if there is an equal when it comes to smart Head Coaches then Belichick has competition with Shanahan who is definately a very intelligent coach and overall is pretty successful as well.

Maybe Shanahan sees there is little left in the tank for Lynch

That being said, I would still like to see him at least play 1 game as a Patriot

Last edited:
I think you hit it. Tank was going to fill an pretty important role, I think-and him going on IR already really stinks. I think he was going to be good-losing him is disappointing. Rodney's had his share of injuries because he goes for it ALL everytime, plus he's probably not too far from retirement. An experienced back-up for Rodney would be very nice to have around-just in case.

I hope the Lynch visit works out.
Well the fact that BOR's great find of an article from Denver talking about a physical today..I think means it's close to a deal. The fact of a physical has not been reported in Boston... I hope it goes through. Not only would he be a great 3rd down nickel/dime ILB...but he's a true back up S. With Harrison out and JSanders coming back..they need help. He can certainly stop the run..cover the RB/TEs..and he hits hard. He's smart and will really help the D.

Reiss in his video does raise the question of Lynch and concussions.

Dude you not paying attention..you just spewing stuff from years past.

This defense as a lot of youth.

Sey, Warren, Wilfork are all younger than 30
Mayo, Crable, Woods, Hobson, And the UDFAs are all younger than at least 28
Hobbs, Wheatly, Wilhite, Merriweather, Sanders, are all young too.

Yes we have a few older guys on De but its not like we are lacking in the youth dept.

I agree, and we DID get younger and faster-not totally-but we definitely addressed that problem during the draft. I think we acheived a nice balance of youth and vets this year.

Plus, besides getting younger in the long run BB also would probably like to get a player who could produce now- not just later. The rookies have looked great in practice and in preseason, but very soon they'll start to face some real opposition, and some of those will be tough, not just physically but while BB wants to get younger and develop players, he also wants to hoist a Lombardi-this season. Come crunch time, I'm liking the idea of vet over younger because apparently there are a few teams who've made it their life's work to study Pats film ( like the Chargers lol) so I'd expect to see some interesting D played this season. Offense too, but I have a feeling defensively we'll see some very cool stuff this year, stuff that a having a veteran out there could prove to be advantagous at times.

This is a huge year for the Pats- after last year's ending I think winning this Lombardi-this year- probably has taken on some extra signifigance (jmo).
You want to develop your future but you want, and even NEED, to win now.Unless it's someone really special, at this time I'll take the experience.

Here's how I see it: Signing Lynch gives you more options, and that is always a plus. veterans of Lynch's caliber have intangibles in the locker room, as well as the sidelines and those are nard to qualify. He can not only play, but help younger players develop by sharing what he's learned over his career. Lynch was always a hard hitter, with a good nose for the ball. He takes direction and coaching very well, and adapts quickly to changes.

Those are assets any team can value and it's always better to have an embarrasment of riches than be staring at some questionable roster situations when the season starts. ;)

Respects,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes