PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Lynch visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doesn't have to be that serious (IR) for it to be an issue. Could be something that he may have to play with all year or it could be nothing but until we know I am freaking out.

Also might you wait until you have the replacement before making that official as to not hurt your negotiations.
he was dressed for the ravens game im sure bb is being extra cautios no need to freak

Should we start putting oxygen tanks and wheelchairs on the sidelines now? Our safety situation is fine, IMO.

I have noticed you have a real issue with age. What is that all about? its like you haven't been here watching us win with tons of great Vets and just want youth for the sake of youth. And this Lynch thing is not what makes me ask I have noticed this from you plenty of other times (I.E. the LB corp). Yes this is a young mans game but if you area as good at drafting as Pioli and BB than you pretty much have your youth and players who know what they are doing is a premium.

It will be interesting to see if Lynch is willing to take on Tank's old role (3rd down DB). Going from starter for 12 years straight to a 3rd down role will be an ego buster if anything. If we wants to win he'll take the job. Then on top of that I would prefer Lynch in there instead of Tank if a Rodney ever got hurt so that would be an added bonus

It will be interesting to see if Lynch is willing to take on Tank's old role (3rd down DB). Going from starter for 12 years straight to a 3rd down role will be an ego buster if anything. If we wants to win he'll take the job. Then on top of that I would prefer Lynch in there instead of Tank if a Rodney ever got hurt so that would be an added bonus

I think he sees the writing on the wall though. Archuleta & Schwiegert were signed over him. He knows his starting days are over.

he was dressed for the ravens game im sure bb is being extra cautios no need to freak

Just about everyone who wasn't on the PUP dressed that means nothing. He didn't play. You may be right that there is no need to freak but "Knowing is half the battle" (thanks for the quote GI JOE) and I don't know so I am freaking out.

I have noticed you have a real issue with age. What is that all about? its like you haven't been here watching us win with tons of great Vets and just want youth for the sake of youth. And this Lynch thing is not what makes me ask I have noticed this from you plenty of other times (I.E. the LB corp). Yes this is a young mans game but if you area as good at drafting as Pioli and BB than you pretty much have your youth and players who know what they are doing is a premium.

This defense needs to get younger and faster. Putting two near-40 year olds in the secondary is not a good idea. Besides, we already have Rodney, BM, and James Sanders. Why bring in Lynch unless you're going to move him closer up to the LOS on a regular basis? At this stage in his career, I can't see Lynch thriving at that spot in our defense.

This defense needs to get younger and faster. Putting two near-40 year olds in the secondary is not a good idea. Besides, we already have Rodney, BM, and James Sanders. Why bring in Lynch unless you're going to move him closer up to the LOS on a regular basis? At this stage in his career, I can't see Lynch thriving at that spot in our defense.

Dude you not paying attention..you just spewing stuff from years past.

This defense as a lot of youth.

Sey, Warren, Wilfork are all younger than 30
Mayo, Crable, Woods, Hobson, And the UDFAs are all younger than at least 28
Hobbs, Wheatly, Wilhite, Merriweather, Sanders, are all young too.

Yes we have a few older guys on De but its not like we are lacking in the youth dept.

We just lost a safety we were bringing up into the box and even putting at ILB, Lynch could be a possible fill in for that role, perhaps? Like I said, they're about the same size with the same strengths and weaknesses (he and Tank that is)

Last edited:
why was he cut then? I thought he couldn't cover

Exactly the same things were said about Harrison. The Patriots Safeties generally play a pretty conservative style, the field is split in half and each Safety owns the deep middle of their side.

I mean players like Antrell Hawkins have been able to hold up at S. I think Lynch would be as good or better then Williams at Safety and potentially free up Harrison to free-lance at OLB in specific nickel and dime situations.

If Lynch becomes the 4th Safety it sounds like a good problem to have.

Last edited:

Seriously, "BM" should not be a nickname used for a player you like.

Who says they're going to be out there at the same time? In fact, aren't Lynch and Harrison both Strong Safeties, meaning it's likely a depth move for Rodney. I'm betting we see mostly Meriweather plus a platoon of Harrison and Lynch, with a sprinkling of Sanders whereever he's needed.

I don't think we're Harrison and Lynch would be on the field at the same time very much, as they both fill almost identical roles.

Dude you not paying attention..you just spewing stuff from years past.

This defense as a lot of youth.

Sey, Warren, Wilfork are all younger than 30
Mayo, Crable, Woods, Hobson, And the UDFAs are all younger than at least 28
Hobbs, Wheatly, Wilhite, Merriweather, Sanders, are all young too.

Yes we have a few older guys on De but its not like we are lacking in the youth dept.

I agree with you but if we're signing free agents to good sized contracts, I don't want to see them retire at the end of the year. I know we need some vets, but I am fine with the ones we have. We don't need John Lynch who can still hit like a dump truck but is a gigantic liability in coverage.

I agree with you but if we're signing free agents to good sized contracts, I don't want to see them retire at the end of the year. I know we need some vets, but I am fine with the ones we have. We don't need John Lynch who can still hit like a dump truck but is a gigantic liability in coverage.

If we don't need him than why are we bringing him in for a visit? Yes we don't need him so be a starting safety but we could certainly use him for a specific role and for depth.

I very highly doubt at this point he gets a good sized contract. Probably more like vet min maybe a tad more. Doubt thats an issue at least not with us he may not like what we offer.

I trust in BB.

Like most vetran guys we sign, he'll play at a MUCH higher level based on the atmosphere in the locker room and what Bill can get out of those guys.

Maybe he just wants to end his career in the city of Tampa....kinda like Bruschi was going to end his career in the state of Arizona.....(hey, we'll never know)

And reiss has a little video about the possibility of Lynch...rather nice..and he does allude to the fact that Harrison and Sanders have both been out with injuries...It seems like a good signing....hopefully today..would love to see him out on the field Sunday PM...

There must be some quota for aging Stanford defensive backs. Do they have summer graduate courses in the 3-4 alignment?

I can't believe people think we're signing him for secondary help. If he comes I bet anything it's for run support and some kind of LB role. All up to Lynch to see if it' worth ring #2. I'm sure it's a lot easier being a reserve kind of player on a team like the Pats over the Broncos.

Who says they're going to be out there at the same time? In fact, aren't Lynch and Harrison both Strong Safeties, meaning it's likely a depth move for Rodney. I'm betting we see mostly Meriweather plus a platoon of Harrison and Lynch, with a sprinkling of Sanders whereever he's needed.

Disagree. I see Sanders seeing equal (if not slightly more) PT than Rodney. I doubt either Rodney or Lynch will be on the field in passing situations, as both are liabilities.

Not thrilled about a Lynch signing, but in BB we trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes