PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Lynch visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
why was he cut then? I thought he couldn't cover

I dug back into the footballoutsiders prospectus to take a look at Lynch's metrics from last season. Bottom line - great against the run, brutal against the pass. I only watched Denver a couple times last season, anyone who saw them more willing to confirm this? Was it injuries or has he just lost a step completely?

He's about the same size as Tank (6'2 220, Tank was 6'3 220+) and has the same reputation (good against the run, a little weak in coverage for a safety). Given how they intended to use Tank, do you think if Lynch signs he'd fill Tanks void??

Last edited:
So if this goes down......
2) Who's losing a job? Or is it just a Tank out, Lynch in kind of thing?

Tank out, Lynch in - - - if he will sign for short money and big glory.

And I'd rather see Guyton fit into this role, through development.

I dug back into the footballoutsiders prospectus to take a look at Lynch's metrics from last season. Bottom line - great against the run, brutal against the pass. I only watched Denver a couple times last season, anyone who saw them more willing to confirm this? Was it injuries or has he just lost a step completely?

He's about the same size as Tank (6'2 220, Tank was 6'3 220+) and has the same reputation (good against the run, a little weak in coverage for a safety). Given how they intended to use Tank, do you think if Lynch signs he'd fill Tanks void??

That's been my impression. I think he literally would be filling the specific pseudo-ILB role that Tank was doing. Doubt he would be exposed to much coverage. Remember, one of BB's greatest strengths is masking his players' deficiencies.

That's been my impression. I think he literally would be filling the specific pseudo-ILB role that Tank was doing. Doubt he would be exposed to much coverage. Remember, one of BB's greatest strengths is masking his players' deficiencies.

What's funny is how BB's taking players (assuming Lynch signs and fills that role, which is still a huge assumption at this point) that are liabilities in coverage at one position and moving them to a part of the field where their deficiency in one spot becomes an asset in another. Meaning, again hypothetically, the idea is that Lynch/Williams may not be good at coverage for safeties, but they can handle backs and TEs playing an ILB position perhaps better than the bigger, bulker and somewhat slower LBs, and have the strength to play against the run if faced with the situation.

Last edited:
Sign him up!

As long as Lynch can pass a physical, I think he will be signed in the next couple of days. We need a backup safety. The team has always wanted the guy. Lynch wants to come. get it done!

Are you sure that Lynch wants to come?

Ostensibly, he left Denver because he wasn't happy with the playing time he figured to get there. He still wants to be a starter. In NE, he'd be splitting time with Rodney, James Sanders, and Merriweather. Now, BB is always very clear about how he sees a player being used, and my guess has painted Lynch a picture of the role he sees him playing in the defense. Maybe this will be enough for Lynch, maybe it won't.

Was going to bump that other thread for you, but didn't think you'd give me permission. :p
You didn't pick up the forms for this post either...ve haf vays uf makink you pay. :snob:

Ostensibly, he left Denver because he wasn't happy with the playing time he figured to get there. He still wants to be a starter. In NE, he'd be splitting time with Rodney, James Sanders, and Merriweather. Now, BB is always very clear about how he sees a player being used, and my guess has painted Lynch a picture of the role he sees him playing in the defense. Maybe this will be enough for Lynch, maybe it won't.
Clearly he wants to be with the Patriots to some extent or he wouldn't be visiting. Belichick wouldn't waste his time with a visit unless he let Lynch and/or Lynch's agent know the kind of role he would plan. We're 4 years past when Lynch went to Denver over us, I'm sure Lynch would take a lesser role here with a decent chance at a ring over Denver.

Clearly he wants to be with the Patriots to some extent or he wouldn't be visiting. Belichick wouldn't waste his time with a visit unless he let Lynch and/or Lynch's agent know the kind of role he would plan. We're 4 years past when Lynch went to Denver over us, I'm sure Lynch would take a lesser role here with a decent chance at a ring over Denver.

Well, of course he's interested enough to come in and take a meeting. That's not saying much. Heck, guys will go on visits just to show teams that other teams are interested. And BB would take the meeting, and it's during said meeting in which he'd explain the role he envisions for Lynch, not as a precursor to it.

Maybe Lynch would be willing to accept a smaller role here for a chance win a 2nd ring. Maybe he won't. We don't know. The fact that he visited just means it's on the table.

Last edited:
I'm also concerned about RH's health...but no one else is..but a good signing if for short money

I'm also concerned about RH's health...but no one else is..but a good signing if for short money

I am very concerned. He came off the pup for a few practices and has vanished since and no one knows what is wrong and I am very freaked out by it.
I'm freaking out man!!!

If they could land him that would be huge. I expect to see a lot of 3 safety stuff in the nickel this year where Rodney plays that hybrid S/LB position. If Lynch comes in, he can take half of those nickel reps at that spot and you don't lose much. All it does is create a more well-rested Rodney for the homestretch. I think this would be an outstanding grab and I have my fingers crossed.

True that is why he left. But Reiss hit the nail on the head with the Colvin situation. Everyone asked why he wouldn't come back at a lower salary -- even though I'll be he got similar money at Houston -- but sometimes it boils down to ego.

I think it can be tough for a guy to swallow his pride and feel good about himself in the locker room taking a reduced role/salary with his current team.

Could be the same thing with Lynch in Denver. It's hard for a vet like that to just lie down and accept an extremely reduced role when he was a starter for the same bunch of guys just a year ago.

Meanwhile, his ego can completely accept joining a new team that has a chance to win it all, taking on a "new" (i.e. not "reduced") role in a totally different defense.

Last edited:
I am very concerned. He came off the pup for a few practices and has vanished since and no one knows what is wrong and I am very freaked out by it.
I'm freaking out man!!!
if it was serious they would ir him they wont waste a roster spot if its long term

If he can play Tackle and/or Guard, we need him....

if it was serious they would ir him they wont waste a roster spot if its long term

I doesn't have to be that serious (IR) for it to be an issue. Could be something that he may have to play with all year or it could be nothing but until we know I am freaking out.

Also might you wait until you have the replacement before making that official as to not hurt your negotiations.

Last edited:
Should we start putting oxygen tanks and wheelchairs on the sidelines now? Our safety situation is fine, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes