PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Elway RE Deflategate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From Peter King's MMQB. Another former QB who thinks the whole thing was much ado about nothing:

John Elway played 256 games in his NFL career, and he threw 7,901 passes. He never was concerned about the inflation level of the football he threw. But after the Tom Brady scandal erupted earlier this year, he was curious. He went to his equipment staff, and had footballs inflated to 13 psi, and 12 psi, and 11 psi, and he felt them and tested them himself.

“I mean, it’s not that big a difference,” said Elway. “It’s hard to tell the difference. Not a big enough difference to have the attention on this that it’s gotten. What I come down to is, does it really matter? Some guys like the ball a little softer. And if a guy likes a harder ball, that’s fine too. We want the quarterbacks to be as successful as they can be, and we want them to give the fans the best entertainment they can. Who cares if a quarterback likes it at 10 and a half? If that makes him play better, fine.”

Of course, Elway isn’t alone in thinking the balls should be, within reason, left without regulation. But the fact is there are rules in the NFL, and the balls must be inflated between 12.5 psi and 13.5 psi when measured on gauges in the officials’ locker room two hours before the start of games. Until the rules are changed, if they ever are, quarterbacks will have to use footballs at that pressure.

Not that it seems to matter to Brady. If the footballs used by Brady at home were ever tampered with, the record shows his performance at home over the years is remarkably similar to the performance on the road—where visiting teams hand over the balls to the officials and then to home-team ballboys independent of the visitors.

As for the effect of the off-season scandal on Brady’s motivation this fall, Elway said: “The last thing you want to do is poke the bear. The bear got poked, and this is what happened.”

Colts' fake punt fails spectacularly; Cam Newton, Panthers 5-0 | The MMQB with Peter King

He compared balls that were 11, 12, 13. How about comparing balls that were 12.5 and 12.2 because that was the alleged cheating, not 1 or 2 psi. I wish King mentioned that in his article.

I don't mean to nitpick, but that's kind of a big deal and no one outside of New England seems to know that.

He compared balls that were 11, 12, 13. How about comparing balls that were 12.5 and 12.2 because that was the alleged cheating, not 1 or 2 psi. I wish King mentioned that in his article.

I don't mean to nitpick, but that's kind of a big deal and no one outside of New England seems to know that.
And did he do his test in the equipment room or outdoors inclement weather? Is Elway trying to unpoke the bear?

This is BS. A few months ago, Elway was basically saying that what Brady did tainted the integrity of the game. Now, after seeing Brady completely demolish teams, he is backtracking because he doesn't want Brady to have any extra motivation against his team. You can tell he's scared when he says "the last thing you want to do is poke the bear."

He knows what is coming on Thanksgiving weekend, and him pretending that he is backing Brady will not prevent it.

This is BS. A few months ago, Elway was basically saying that what Brady did tainted the integrity of the game. Now, after seeing Brady completely demolish teams, he is backtracking because he doesn't want Brady to have any extra motivation against his team. You can tell he's scared when he says "the last thing you want to do is poke the bear."

He knows what is coming on Thanksgiving weekend, and him pretending that he is backing Brady will not prevent it.

First rule for any of us listening to or reading anything said by anyone associated with the NFL - including by those in the Pats organization (more so at the top of the organization for sure) - is that it is always self-serving and often hypocritical and thus must be taken with oodles of salt. I didn't give a crap what Elway had to say about any topic before, so while I'm glad he said something that in a tiny way supports Brady, I recognize how it is put out there with all the deniability possible and so I don't give a crap about what Elway has to say about this either.

The one thing that worries Elway more than his team being a turkey for Thanksgiving is Peyton being done.

cant wait for tb12 to march into mile high and expose the donkey's overrated defense.

Nice bear, nice bear, please don't bite me again.

First thing that came to mind too. Yeah this isn't going to work, Elway. Too little too late and frankly they dont care. Chicken Parm is cooked and we're not going to take it easy on him.

I wonder if forehead spilled the beans that he deflated his balls with the Dolts and does it with the Donkeys and can no longer do so. Now Horseface wants the rule to get changed. It won't help the forehead in the playoffs where he'll choke again.

People seem to have short memories on the scum who trashed Brady. Me, I have my forever hate list over these miserable P****s who piled on when Brady was unable to set the record straight. These same miserable p*****s are now covering their backsides

"He sees you when you're sleeping... he knows when you're awake..."o_O;)
He knows if you've been bad or good
But he doesn't care... your butt he will rake.

Someone should check the psi of Mannings head. To look at that forehead.... His number 18 must stand for 18 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back