PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady Statistically

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no disrespect to Brady, just why the random Montana comparison by someone who just likes to start crap? This is offseason stuff, not a week before the Superbowl talk.
I will say this, I think Montana is one of the 5 greatest QBs ever, along with Brady, Marino, Elway and Unitas.
And enough with this "stat" crap. Every era has different rules. It's easier to pass now. But Montana's team stayed together.
Use Stats when comparing guys from the same age, like Manning and Brady. It's like those Colt fans that compare Manning to Unitas. Unitas played in 2 receiver sets if he was lucky, and the guys got mugged all the way downfield!
And how can you be fair to guys like Marino that never had a running back or weapons, other than Duper, and no D!
Elway willed 3 teams to the Superbowl and got owned in all of them, shouldhe be given a minus for losing the big game 3 times before winning or a plus for just getting a team there that shouldn't have made it?
All you can do is look how they played in big games and how they won. Right now, assuming the Pats win, you can't give it to one really more than the other between Montana and Brady. I think brady is better, look at this season, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against a niner fan saying Joe was better. as long as he didn't bring it up on a Pats message board the week before a SUPERBOWL!

Last edited:
I know that's not directed at me, but I WILL worry about it. I'm not sure how Martz and Nolan's egos will match up, but the offense will undoubtedly improve greatly. Gore is a terrific RB, and has more power than Faulk had. If more pieces can be put in place, I can see Gore putting up Faulk type numbers, though perhaps slightly more skewed towards running yardage.

As for the "thanks for the pick" comments....obviously, a top 10 pick would be nice for us. We were far worse than we should have been this year, with some inane drama and an offense left in the **** by Turner and the hiring of an imbecile. But Staley showed he's a promising player, and having him next year, in my opinion, will be as good as a top 10 or 15 pick used on the O-line this year.
Well I hope that Alex Smith can get his career in order, I know the guy is paid, but I can't help but think he got undue pressure by being the first pick. There seem to be weapons a receiver, and tight end(if Vernon Davis can soften up his hands) so maybe if your line shores up the offense can get it together. But that won't happen if Martz is doing his famous "7 steps and chuck " drop back passing. Alex Smith won't need to worry about his game, cause he'll be dead.:bricks:

Just a point about Montana (not in relation to Brady, but rather Marino).....

His first Super Bowl was won with Ricky Patton as the leading rusher, on 543 yards and 3.6 yards per carry.

His first Super Bowl was won with Ricky Patton as the leading rusher, on 543 yards and 3.6 yards per carry.

Yes, but he had a killer D and the west coast offense was new and they didn't know how to defend it yet. Again though, Montana is at the same level as Brady too me.

Brady won in his second super bowl with a rushing attack that averaged 3.4 YPC.

Montana - 4 Super Bowl Wins
Brady - 3 Super Bowl Wins

MONTANA HAS NEVER DONE THIS........(after PATS beat Giants)

Tom Brady + 4 Super Bowl Wins + 19-0 + 50 TDs + League MVP = GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME - End of Story. Name me ONE QB..just one, who has EVER, EVER reached or come remotely close to matching these stats......??? anyone? Marino? No. Montana? No. Farve? No. Aikman? No. Elway? No. Manning? No. Anyone??? Anyone? This Alone BLOWS away MONTANA!
Thought so.
:rocker: :rocker:

Last edited:
Thankfully, superbowl performances/stats do not determine who the best QB ever is. But as far as SB perf goes, you need to look at number of game winning drives...and YES, of course drives that result in FG's count. Anyone would be foolish to believe otherwise. If a team only has enough time to go 50 yards in just over a minute to get in field goal range to win a super bowl, then buddy you can’t get much more clutch than that!

Just to let a good 'ol Joe Montana fan like yourself know, the NFL network aired a special tonight called "Who is Tom Brady". If you watched it, you'd know that virtually ALL football experts & historians are suggesting we are watching history in the making when Mr Brady is on the field.

They closed the show with the comment that he may even be mentioned as a name that defines the sport....as Muhammed Ali & Babe Ruth do now for their respective sports.

Montana will always be remembered as one of the best in history, but most believe Brady will be remembered as THE best. Keep in mind, Brady is not nearly finished my friend...not even close!;)

Last edited:

Brady won his first super bowl in his first year starting. Who else among the greats has done that?

These comparisons are somewhat idiotic as times change, circumstances change and the game changes.. each needs to be views as a stand alone person who is the best of their era. Cannot compare as the game changes so much every decade. Is Jim Brown better than Barry Sanders? Is Otto Graham the best QB ever?? Did the Dolphins in 1972 have as difficult schedule as the '07 Pats?? Do not know how any of these arguments can take place as there are so many variables.

Brady is great, Montana is great... they both stand alone.

Lets wait until the season is over and we have had a few weeks to digest this season before we discuss which QB is better.....

Oh, yeah for 49ers the season has been over for a few weeks.

It is so funny to watch the reaction when somebody even mentions the possibility that Montana is better than Brady. You guys put the "Ya" in "Yahoo."
WOW, that's a new one, very clever! That must make you the hoo.

Eight Pages and Counting. Talk about feeding a troll.

:trolls:

Have fun comparing their year-by-year numbers too. You'd love that.

No bad weather? Have you ever BEEN to Candlestick? I'm being serious, not facetious.

I wouldn't ever dare to say anything against Brady. As I've said on this board before, he's the clear #2 for me. As a 49ers fan, I don't think it's unreasonable to have Montana at #1, just like I don't think it's unreasonable to have Brady at #1 for a Pats fan.

But there's some stragne disrespect of Joe in here, I feel.

Well Dwayne, just consider the fact that if Montana & Brady are #1 & #2 right now, Brady is only half-way finished with his career:eek: People often hold these conversations as if Brady's done & his stats will remain as they are and we all know, they will get better. There is no way he doesn't get into at least another 2 or 3 playoff years.

Last edited:
Great job. Montana is one of my favorite QB's to ever play the game. As much as I love Brady, I'm not willing to diminish Montana. He was awesome.

Having said that, the MAJOR flaw in your argument is comparing a 100% completed career with a career that is only about half done.

To gain a thorough understanding of how Montana and Brady compare, one must compare them at the same points in their respective careers.

Brady is 30 years old. What accomplishments did Montana achieve when he was 30 years old?

By the age of 30 both Montana and Brady completed their 7th season as starting quarterbacks. NOTE: Brady is 30 years old right now and playing in the Super Bowl next week so his numbers could still improve. Let's take a look.

SUPER BOWLS

MONTANA:
In his first seven seasons Joe Montana won two Super Bowls and two SB MVP's.

BRADY:
In his first seven seasons Tom Brady won three Super Bowls and two SB MVP's.

With one more win Brady will have won FOUR Super Bowls and at least two and possibly three SB MVP's.

Edge: BRADY

MVP's

MONTANA:
In his first seven years Joe Montana won zero league MVP's.

BRADY:
In his first seven years Tom Brady won one league MVP.

WINS & LOSSES

MONTANA:
In his first seven seasons, Joe Montana compiled a won/loss record of 65-32 (.670) which includes a regular season mark of 58-29 (.667) and a playoff mark of 7-3 (.700).

BRADY:
In his first seven seasons, Tom Brady compiled a won/loss record of 100-26 (.790) which includes a regular season mark of 86-24 (.782) and a playoff mark of 14-2 (.875).

One more win will make him 101-26 (.795) overall with an unbelievable playoff mark of 15-2 (.882).

When I began this post, I had no idea how much further ahead Brady was compared to Montana at the same age. I was expecting things to be a lot closer but it's really no comparison.

If Brady stays healthy, he's going to end up leap years ahead of Montana and every other quarterback to ever play the game.

Yes, he "IS" that good.

That's a wonderful breakdown Pyper. Thanks for posting.

Montana vs. Brady at age 30

Montana at age 30 in 1986:

8G, 62% Comp, 2236 Yds, 8 TD's, 9 Int's, 80.7 Rating. Record 10-5-1. SF lost to the NYG in the Divisional Rd. of the playoffs 49-3 (ouch!).

Brady at age 30 in 2007:

16G, 69% Comp, 4806 Yds, 50 TD's, 8 Int's, 117.2 Rating. Record 16-0-0. NE is about to win the 4th SB in 7 years after 2 playoff wins with Brady at the helm.

Montana had a couple of superb seasons after 1986 getting him 2 more rings. Those seasons pale in comparison to what Brady can accomplish.

I'm taking our guy, and that's not just the homer in me talking.

Montana pales in comparison?

That's what I meant about the inexplicable disrespect shown to Joe at times in this thread. And that's not just the homer in me talking, either.

Did you miss the part where I said that it was in relation to Marino, and clearly said it wasn't Brady?

Brady won his first super bowl in his first year starting. Who else among the greats has done that?

Joe Montana started 7 games in the season before his first Super Bowl win. Steve DeBerg was the starter in 1980; 1981 was Joe's first full year as starter.

It's a Pats page, you go too a Pats fansite, during what is the greatest run ever by a QB that us doing things that have never been seen before, and you wonder why we don't hold the same love for Joe?
And his last SuperBowl win was almost 20 years ago! Of course people won't remember him the way you do as a 9ers fan.
Now, I do agree some people are getting carried away with downplaying Montana's role as an all time great QB, but too put it a way you can relate too as a San Fransiscan, imagine you are on a SF Giants fansite, talking about Bonds (everyone ignore he used steroids for this argument please) being the greatest ever, and some Yankees fan chimes in, "no way! the Babe is way better than Bonds!" Of course he is going to get piled on and people will say crap about the Babe as Giant fans and downplay his greatness.
All real sports fans that are loyal to a team will defens their guy as the greatest. I am sure Bronco fans would get pissy if they read this and say what about Elway? There is no right answer when it comes to whose the greatest and whoever is the greatest at the time always seems better than someone who was great a while back. It's human nature. I mean think about the list of greatest athletes in any sport. Almost always the majority of players listed are from the previous 20 years while older players get forgotten because people don't remember their big moments or how they did what they did. It's like, whose the greatest sacker ever? Reggie White? Lawrence Taylor? Or how about Deacon Jones who invented the term "sacking the quarterback" and never had his counted.
And one thing I also know is no sportsfan can convince another one that his guy is better than theirs.

Hey, I'll readily agree with you man. Like I said, for me Brady is currently the clear #2, but I totally understand any Pats fan who thinks of him as the greatest ever. You won't hear me taking anything away from Brady (unlike, say, Elway, Marino or Favre).

But talking up Brady and saying you think he's the greatest doesn't mean you have to denigrate Montana.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back