PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady Statistically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montana pales in comparison?

That's what I meant about the inexplicable disrespect shown to Joe at times in this thread. And that's not just the homer in me talking, either.

Don't get me wrong, Joe was great. Hell, they named a state after him. I just think Brady has a chance at 5 or 6 rings and who can reasonably argue otherwise?

Barring a meteor strike that ends mankind this guy has a half-dozen solid years in front of him with an organization and coach commited to winning.

Being considered #2 behind Tom Brady is in NO WAY disrespectful. You'll agree with me in a couple of years.

By the way; I'm neither a huge baseball fan nor a Giants fan, but I doubt many Giants fans would claim vociferously that Bonds was greater than Ruth.

Don't get me wrong, Joe was great. Hell, they named a state after him. I just think Brady has a chance at 5 or 6 rings and who can reasonably argue otherwise?

Barring a meteor strike that ends mankind this guy has a half-dozen solid years in front of him with an organization and coach commited to winning.

Being considered #2 behind Tom Brady is in NO WAY disrespectful. You'll agree with me in a couple of years.
Maybe I will, maybe I won't; it's all hypotheticals at the minute. Barring Giants induced injuries of course, maybe Montana himself could have had 5 or 6 rings.

If Brady finishes his career with 6 Super Bowls, then of course I would acknowledge him as perhaps ahead of Joe (though it'd be like a Bird-MJ type scenario for many Celtics fans, I'd imagine).

Last edited:
Maybe I will, maybe I won't; it's all hypotheticals at the minute. Barring Giants induced injuries of course, maybe Montana himself could have had 5 or 6 rings.

If Brady finishes his career with 6 Super Bowls, then of course I would acknowledge him as perhaps ahead of Joe (though it'd be like a Bird-MJ type scenario for many Celtics fans, I'd imagine).

Cool dwayne. Can we speculate what state to re-name now? As to the Bird-MJ comparison, it's more like Russell vs. Everybody.

NOTE* In four Super Bowl appearances Montana had 13 TD's (2 of which he rushed in himself) and 0 INT's. Brady in 3 had 6 TD's, and 1 INT.[/QUOTE]

Well guess we're gonna have to see what kind of game Brady has, I could see him topping Mmontana's 1990 SB MVP game. But when he does, the book closes and questions end. He will have moved to the front of the pack!!!! Man I can't wait for this game.

It's a Pats page, you go too a Pats fansite, during what is the greatest run ever by a QB that us doing things that have never been seen before, and you wonder why we don't hold the same love for Joe?
And his last SuperBowl win was almost 20 years ago! Of course people won't remember him the way you do as a 9ers fan.
Now, I do agree some people are getting carried away with downplaying Montana's role as an all time great QB, but too put it a way you can relate too as a San Fransiscan, imagine you are on a SF Giants fansite, talking about Bonds (everyone ignore he used steroids for this argument please) being the greatest ever, and some Yankees fan chimes in, "no way! the Babe is way better than Bonds!" Of course he is going to get piled on and people will say crap about the Babe as Giant fans and downplay his greatness.
All real sports fans that are loyal to a team will defens their guy as the greatest. I am sure Bronco fans would get pissy if they read this and say what about Elway? There is no right answer when it comes to whose the greatest and whoever is the greatest at the time always seems better than someone who was great a while back. It's human nature. I mean think about the list of greatest athletes in any sport. Almost always the majority of players listed are from the previous 20 years while older players get forgotten because people don't remember their big moments or how they did what they did. It's like, whose the greatest sacker ever? Reggie White? Lawrence Taylor? Or how about Deacon Jones who invented the term "sacking the quarterback" and never had his counted.
And one thing I also know is no sportsfan can convince another one that his guy is better than theirs.

I like you.

Brady won his first super bowl in his first year starting. Who else among the greats has done that?

Joe Montana started 7 games in the season before his first Super Bowl win. Steve DeBerg was the starter in 1980; 1981 was Joe's first full year as starter.

So Joe won a SB in his second year...like I said, "Who else among the greats has done that? (won a SB in their FIRST year)"

Brady started 14 games in 2001 when the Patriots won the SB.

Next?:rolleyes:

So Joe won a SB in his second year...like I said, "Who else among the greats has done that? (won a SB in their FIRST year)"

Brady started 14 games in 2001 when the Patriots won the SB.

Next?:rolleyes:

It was Brady's 2nd year as well.

It was Brady's 2nd year as well.

Wrong...I said, "In his first year STARTING".

Yes, it was his second year on the team, but his first year starting. Years on the team aren't relevant. It's only when you're given your first chance, what do you make of it. Tom made it a SB victory and Joe did not.

It is a fact repeated all the time by the national media. "Tom Brady is the only QB ever to win a super bowl as a first year starting QB."

Wrong...I said, "In his first year STARTING".

Yes, it was his second year on the team, but his first year starting. Years on the team aren't relevant. It's only when you're given your first chance, what do you make of it. Tom made it a SB victory and Joe did not.

It is a fact repeated all the time by the national media. "Tom Brady is the only QB ever to win a super bowl as a first year starting QB."

Kurt Warner?

First of all, no he didn't.

Secondly; since when is starting one game in your first year considered your first year as a starter?

For all the people who love to compare Montana and Brady, heres some stats Im sure all you great fans already know. People say Brady is as good as Montana, has better statistics, lets see who REALLY has better stats when the game matters most. (having your kicker finish what you started doesnt count, thanks.)

Joe Montana

Super Bowl XXIV (1990)
Stats: 22-29, 297 yards, 5 TD, 0 interceptions in a 55-10 win over Broncos.
Montana was spectacular in winning his third Super Bowl MVP, throwing for a then-record five TDs and completing 76 percent of his passes against a Broncos team that boasted the top scoring defense in the NFL that season.

Super Bowl XIX (1985)
Stats: 24-35, 331 yards, 4 TD (1 rush), 0 interceptions in 38-16 win over Dolphins.
Montana beat Dan Marino and the Dolphins through the air with three touchdowns and another score on the ground. His 59 yards rushing were more than San Francisco star running back Roger Craig had.

Super Bowl XXIII (1989)
Stats: 23-36, 357 yards, 2 TD, 0 interceptions in 20-16 win over Bengals.
Montana's second TD pass was the game winner, a 10-yard strike to John Taylor with 34 seconds left. San Francisco dominated offensively, outgaining the Bengals 453 yards to 229.

Super Bowl XVI (1982)
Stats: 14-22, 157 yards, 2 TD (1 rush), 0 interceptions in 26-21 win over Bengals.
Yes, this is the fourth time that Montana has appeared on this list -- it certainly says a lot that he has one-sixth of the best 24 performances by a Super Bowl quarterback. Montana's steady hand in this game -- his first Super Bowl appearance -- earned him MVP.

Tom Brady

Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004)
Stats: 32-48, 354 yards, 3 TD, 1 interception in 32-29 win over Panthers.
Brady outdueled Jake Delhomme with a Super Bowl-record 32 completions. He led the drive that set up Adam Vinatieri's game-winning field goal with four seconds remaining.

Super Bowl XXXIX (2005)
Stats: 23-33, 236 yards, 2 TD, 0 interceptions in 24-21 win over Eagles.
Brady had another near-flawless performance in the Patriots' most recent Super Bowl crown, but it was wide receiver Deion Branch (11 catches, 133 yards) who was named MVP.

Super Bowl XXXVI (2002)
Stats: 16-27, 145 yards, 1 TD, 0 interceptions in 20-17 win over Rams.
New England's defense stood out, but Brady orchestrated the drive at the end of the game to set up Adam Vinatieri's game-winning field goal as time expired for the upset win. Brady completed 5 of 6 passes on the winning 53-yard drive

You decide whos a better quarterback when it matters most, its your own personal opinion, but to me its clear who is better. Im sure if you're from Boston, you'll find a way to somehow disagree.

NOTE* In four Super Bowl appearances Montana had 13 TD's (2 of which he rushed in himself) and 0 INT's. Brady in 3 had 6 TD's, and 1 INT.

OK whatever, Mr. Sour Grapes. Your boy was great, no doubt. Key word WAS. Coverages and Defenses are so much more complex now. The talent on the D-side is so much stronger and bigger. Montana has himself said that he would not be able to dominate a passing field today like he could then. His ability to read defenses was based on 90% run defenses that were picked apart. The 9ers of yesterday were great, no doubt spectacular! They truly dominated thier era. The fact of the matter is. Your 49ers stink now. They are horrible cellar dwellers. And you show pure sour grapes by posting this ridiculous and meaningless thread during the week that Tom Brady is playing in the CURRENT.....I'll say it again CURRENT SUPERBOWL and your boy is playing a cook/bartender on an ESPN commercial. What happens if Brady throws for 404yds, 6 for 6 on TDs, 0 Ints, and 30 for 31 passing on Sunday. What then, I KNOW. you will again find some way to sway the argument and hold on to what is now ancient history. I don't blame you, I would hold to the old days too if I were a 49er fan, because your current team blows and there isn't much to cheer about. GO PATS! p.s. Brady is the greatest of all time. Here endeth the lesson.

First of all, no he didn't.

Secondly; since when is starting one game in your first year considered your first year as a starter?

Dwayne,
Dude, let it go. Go post on the 9ers fan site. I hope that the 2 of you will have alot to talk about. Good luck with that.

10 pages. this troll has been fed so well that he'll be able to hibernate for the rest of the winter.

:trolls:

This look like something I read at ESPN. Why, maybe you should go write for them! Does your sister fight all her fights for you?

I sure hope Joe Montana isnt suiting up for the Giants this Sunday.. :bricks:

For all the people who love to compare Montana and Brady, heres some stats Im sure all you great fans already know. People say Brady is as good as Montana, has better statistics, lets see who REALLY has better stats when the game matters most. (having your kicker finish what you started doesnt count, thanks.)

Joe Montana

Super Bowl XXIV (1990)
Stats: 22-29, 297 yards, 5 TD, 0 interceptions in a 55-10 win over Broncos.
Montana was spectacular in winning his third Super Bowl MVP, throwing for a then-record five TDs and completing 76 percent of his passes against a Broncos team that boasted the top scoring defense in the NFL that season.

Super Bowl XIX (1985)
Stats: 24-35, 331 yards, 4 TD (1 rush), 0 interceptions in 38-16 win over Dolphins.
Montana beat Dan Marino and the Dolphins through the air with three touchdowns and another score on the ground. His 59 yards rushing were more than San Francisco star running back Roger Craig had.

Super Bowl XXIII (1989)
Stats: 23-36, 357 yards, 2 TD, 0 interceptions in 20-16 win over Bengals.
Montana's second TD pass was the game winner, a 10-yard strike to John Taylor with 34 seconds left. San Francisco dominated offensively, outgaining the Bengals 453 yards to 229.

Super Bowl XVI (1982)
Stats: 14-22, 157 yards, 2 TD (1 rush), 0 interceptions in 26-21 win over Bengals.
Yes, this is the fourth time that Montana has appeared on this list -- it certainly says a lot that he has one-sixth of the best 24 performances by a Super Bowl quarterback. Montana's steady hand in this game -- his first Super Bowl appearance -- earned him MVP.

Tom Brady

Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004)
Stats: 32-48, 354 yards, 3 TD, 1 interception in 32-29 win over Panthers.
Brady outdueled Jake Delhomme with a Super Bowl-record 32 completions. He led the drive that set up Adam Vinatieri's game-winning field goal with four seconds remaining.

Super Bowl XXXIX (2005)
Stats: 23-33, 236 yards, 2 TD, 0 interceptions in 24-21 win over Eagles.
Brady had another near-flawless performance in the Patriots' most recent Super Bowl crown, but it was wide receiver Deion Branch (11 catches, 133 yards) who was named MVP.

Super Bowl XXXVI (2002)
Stats: 16-27, 145 yards, 1 TD, 0 interceptions in 20-17 win over Rams.
New England's defense stood out, but Brady orchestrated the drive at the end of the game to set up Adam Vinatieri's game-winning field goal as time expired for the upset win. Brady completed 5 of 6 passes on the winning 53-yard drive

You decide whos a better quarterback when it matters most, its your own personal opinion, but to me its clear who is better. Im sure if you're from Boston, you'll find a way to somehow disagree.

NOTE* In four Super Bowl appearances Montana had 13 TD's (2 of which he rushed in himself) and 0 INT's. Brady in 3 had 6 TD's, and 1 INT.

So you are arguing that Montana is better than Brady based on seven games? The fact that Brady's overall numbers for his first seven years as a starter are better than Montana's first seven years as a starter and the fact that Brady is on track to get his fourth Super Bowl ring faster than Montana got his third means nothing?

Brady's first seven years he has 26370 yards, 197 TDs, and 86 INTs. Montana had 21402 yards, 140 TDs, and 76 INTs. Ok, so Montana's first year as a starter he only started 7 games and there was a strike year of only 8 games, but even if you count his eighth year as a starter in the comparison Brady has better numbers.

I have no problem with people making the arguement that Montana is better than Brady. I don't neccessarily agree and neither does Montana. But to use only Super Bowl performances as proof is bunk.

Montana won 4 SBs, in a LOT longer time that Brady will.
Montana lost a LOT more playoff games.
Perhaps the numbers should include all playoff games.
Hard to rationalize that only SBs matter, but the losses that kept them from another SB dont.

I'd love to argue this one out with career playoff stats listed.

Montana won 4 SBs, in a LOT longer time that Brady will.
Montana lost a LOT more playoff games.
Perhaps the numbers should include all playoff games.
Hard to rationalize that only SBs matter, but the losses that kept them from another SB dont.

I'd love to argue this one out with career playoff stats listed.

Those are some good points, Andy. I suppose no argument like this is complete without looking at the strength of opponents though. I think difference in eras may make that quite difficult. Montana had to beat (or lose to) some of the most notable NFC teams that dominated in that era.

Brady did the same in the current era but I'm not really sure how that plays out against the teams Montana faced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back