PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Flacco now the highest paid QB in NFL history

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will allow that it was late and you weren't thinking straight.

Brady was already going to get the $30M, unless he were injured this year. Even getting paid early is a bit misleading. He is getting the bonus in twelve monthly payments. It is with interest, but interest rates are low. The bonus was a reasonable compensation for restructuring. That would have moved money into next year, and given us tax relief this year. The key thing is that the $30M is essentially compensation for the present contract.

Brady accepted less than 50% of market for the extension, with no bonus (there could have been one before Year 3). The only compensation Brady received was injury insurance; the contract is guaranteed if Brady is injured.

This contract is the most seriously discounted patriot contract that I can recall. The only other one than comes to minds is one of Bruschi's.

Here are 3 different sites that say you're wrong.

If it were that simple then we wouldn't have agents and experts arguing about it. I'm not sure what the big mystery is, but that will be left for better minds than myself to figure out. It seems to very many that Brady took more now to get paid less later, which would balance things out tremendously. In all reality he took 33 million now (not 30).

You claim that it's not "guaranteed down the road, but only for injury..." That sounds pretty guaranteed to me.

ON FOOTBALL: No pay cut for Patriots QB Brady _ that's a guarantee | Fox News

PFT: Brady gets $30M signing bonus from new deal | Newspt - News PlatForm

Teams, agents wonder about Brady deal | ProFootballTalk

So after all this it looks like the bottom line is that the Ravens rep for a smart front office is deserved. Newsome et. al. signed their franchise QB for a big overall number that's distributed over the years in a way that anticipates a TV driven rising cap # and allows them modest cap money to re-sign some of their key players. The only way they get hurt is if Flacco's 2012 is a couple sigma aberration above the mean. Baltimore will remain a playoff bound team, probably winning their division again.

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

There has been an enormous misconception that Baltimore was in lots of cap trouble, however that misconception was rooted on the premise that they'd be forced to pay Flacco 20 million guaranteed this year for the exclusive franchise tag, which never happened.

Since it never happened, we can now put to rest the incorrect notion that they are/were in cap hell, and that they'll be gutting the team etc. We can also assume that they'll remain very competitive. I'd have no reason to think that cap space would prevent them from doing such. Injuries and unexpected poor play is a different story, as anything can happen in football.

Brady accepted less than 50% of market for the extension, with no bonus (there could have been one before Year 3). The only compensation Brady received was injury insurance; the contract is guaranteed if Brady is injured.

This contract is the most seriously discounted patriot contract that I can recall. The only other one than comes to minds is one of Bruschi's.

First, the two-time NFL Most Valuable Player, despite some perceptions, did not really take a pay cut with this new deal. It might have sounded that way with salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million the next year and $9 million in 2017, far below the going rate for superstar QBs.

Instead, Brady gets a $30 million signing bonus, payable over the next three years, and $57 million overall in a contract that will run through the 2017 season, when he will be 40 years old. Other than backups who are little more than insurance policies, how many quarterbacks even make it on to a roster at 40?

Essentially, he gets $33 million guaranteed for the next two seasons, and he's surely worth it considering that Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and, most likely, Joe Flacco, will earn more in 2013 and '14. Add up each of their Super Bowl rings and it adds up to the number Brady owns.

Read more: ON FOOTBALL: No pay cut for Patriots QB Brady _ that's a guarantee | Fox News

I cannot believe that Flacco got such a huge contract. Credit where its due, he really did turn it on in the playoffs but I think there are at least 20 QBs who could have played as good as, and in some cases better than, him behind that beast of an offensive line.

I cannot believe that Flacco got such a huge contract. Credit where its due, he really did turn it on in the playoffs but I think there are at least 20 QBs who could have played as good as, and in some cases better than, him behind that beast of an offensive line.

I think Baltimore's POV was that he had done pretty well already, leading them to 5 playoff victories in his first 5 seasons. When you step in and lead your team to at least one playoff victory in every one of your first 5 seasons that is reason to believe that you could be the guy--both now, and in the future.

When you take into acct the fact that he's appeared in 3 AFCCG's in those first 5 yrs, the point becomes even greater. Obviously leading your team to a SB berth and win also goes a long way, but they offered him a 6/96 contract last year that he turned down before even coming into this year.

His completion percentage is erratic which hurts him, but he's a proven winner, and his really came into throwing a very nice longball to boot. When you figure that there are many 3rd tier QB's who are making around 15 million per year aav, it isn't really that much of a surprise that a 2nd tier QB would be worthy of an 18 million dollar aav contract 4-5-6 yrs down the line.

First, the two-time NFL Most Valuable Player, despite some perceptions, did not really take a pay cut with this new deal. It might have sounded that way with salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million the next year and $9 million in 2017, far below the going rate for superstar QBs.

Instead, Brady gets a $30 million signing bonus, payable over the next three years, and $57 million overall in a contract that will run through the 2017 season, when he will be 40 years old. Other than backups who are little more than insurance policies, how many quarterbacks even make it on to a roster at 40?

Essentially, he gets $33 million guaranteed for the next two seasons, and he's surely worth it considering that Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and, most likely, Joe Flacco, will earn more in 2013 and '14. Add up each of their Super Bowl rings and it adds up to the number Brady owns.

Read more: ON FOOTBALL: No pay cut for Patriots QB Brady _ that's a guarantee | Fox News

Brady took a deal that will pay him somewhere around half of what he likely would have been able to get in the 3 extension years. You can call that what you will, but that's the breakdown. The "30 million" is just PFT trying to stir **** up.

Please just stop. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Brady has had one significant injury in his entire career. There is no reason to believe he'd suffer one or more career ending or season ending injuries in the next two years.

What he got was more guaranteed money and that's what it's all about. Money that Kraft knows Belichick won't get lazy with and knows he'll do everything he can to stay healthy.

And if you honestly think Brady couldn't have gotten more than 27 million dollars in two years I have no idea what to tell you. He probably could get the majority of that in one season in two years.

Peyton Manning is older than Brady and recently signed a contract essentially worth 5 years, 20 million per year. Bradys deal is worth roughly 4 years, 14 million per year. Brady had all the leverage and could have easily said "I'll sign a three year extension to get you some cap space this year, but I want 20 million per year all three years".

Just stop talking.

Brady took a deal that will pay him somewhere around half of what he likely would have been able to get in the 3 extension years. You can call that what you will, but that's the breakdown. The "30 million" is just PFT trying to stir **** up.

That was initially my first reaction too, Deus, but then other outlets such as this specific link from FOX news started coming to the same conclusion so that creates some more controversy.

It seems as though cap experts and even different agents even are still unsure how to read this.

I would like to believe what you're saying obviously, and that was certainly my first reaction, but the bottom line is can we prove that to be true?

Please just stop. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Brady has had one significant injury in his entire career. There is no reason to believe he'd suffer one or more career ending or season ending injuries in the next two years.

What he got was more guaranteed money and that's what it's all about. Money that Kraft knows Belichick won't get lazy with and knows he'll do everything he can to stay healthy.

And if you honestly think Brady couldn't have gotten more than 27 million dollars in two years I have no idea what to tell you. He probably could get the majority of that in one season in two years.

Peyton Manning is older than Brady and recently signed a contract essentially worth 5 years, 20 million per year. Bradys deal is worth roughly 4 years, 14 million per year. Brady had all the leverage and could have easily said "I'll sign a three year extension to get you some cap space this year, but I want 20 million per year all three years".

Just stop talking.

I have no idea what you're talking about dude. I never once claimed anything about injuries or anything, so you have me 100% lost...

This is a subject that even the biggest experts have yet to agree on, so please don't act like you are somehow reading through everything.

These aren't even my words, it is a quote from FOX news, hence the term "continue reading at the bottom".

And while you're at it, learn how to speak to someone with some respect and manners. I show respect to everyone here, you could learn something from that.

I have no idea who the hell you even are...but I'm certainly not going to take your opinion seriously. If you wish to discuss it any further, then bring it up in a respectful tone. This got started on some misconceptions by many here on the forum about Baltimore being in cap hell, etc, which wasn't ever true. It has now led to the discussion of the Brady contract. If you don't like that or you don't agree with it then move on to another thread.

I understand your displeasure with Tony's manners, Supa...but look on the bright side...it could have been worse...I would have said "just stop breathing"...but...that's just me...
evillaugh.gif

I understand your displeasure with Tony's manners, Supa...but look on the bright side...it could have been worse...I would have said "just stop breathing"...but...that's just me...
evillaugh.gif

I've heard that evil laugh quite a few times :D

This is the part where you totally lost me, considering that I never claimed one word about any of this. Like I said, the quote you're having a problem with is a direct quote from a news article, they aren't my words.

Even then, the article claims that "essentially, he gets $33 million guaranteed for the next two seasons, and he's surely worth it considering that Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and, most likely, Joe Flacco, will earn more in 2013 and '14," so I'm failing to see how you would even have an issue with what they said either?

How is what the article said opposite of your feelings?

Peyton Manning is older than Brady and recently signed a contract essentially worth 5 years, 20 million per year.

No he didn't. It's well known that he likely won't see the end of that deal.

it's so friggin' dead at this time of the year that the proverbial beating of the dead horse on every single item of minutiae associated with the Pats approaches known limits of human understanding....at least we have the "Jets suck" to fall back on....we need some movement on the free agency front to pump air into this stale, smoke filled cyber room.

it's so friggin' dead at this time of the year that the proverbial beating of the dead horse on every single item of minutiae associated with the Pats approaches known limits of human understanding....at least we have the "Jets suck" to fall back on....we need some movement on the free agency front to pump air into this stale, smoke filled cyber room.

We should just let this one die then, I think we've examined the Flacco contract enough.

My point was just to clear up the misconception started by the media and continued by some fans here that Baltimore was in cap hell, which was started due to the thinking that they'd be limited in their space since they'd have to be forced to pay Flacco 20 million guaranteed on the exclusive franchise tag.

Since that never happened, they aren't nearly as limited as they would have been or as about 90% of the forum would like to think, and that's all I was pointing out. The Brady contract situation was nothing more than a side note, that currently has 50% of the population thinking he's a hero, and 50% of the population skeptical.

All I was looking for was the answer to whether or not we have "proof" that he didn't take significantly more now to see less later, which seems to be a common belief amongst many experts and even agents around the league, as much as I don't want to believe that. I'd much rather picture him with a big "S" on his chest.

I think anyone can look at the teams in the league and see that Baltimore has one of the top front offices in the NFL the past decade plus. Newsome is as astute an NFL executive as one can find. The Ravens decision to pay Flacco is one that can't be judged good or bad on its merits as things stand right now...everyone will see in a few seasons.

The offensive leader of your team leads you to a Super Bowl title, is young and a physical specimen, just what is the big deal making him the highest paid at his position RIGHT NOW? In a year, his deal will be eclipsed by those offered other rising star QB's...the cap will continue to rise...who's to say Flacco's deal isn't a bargain in three years? I look at this deal as a sound business judgement made by a very sound organization.

I think anyone can look at the teams in the league and see that Baltimore has one of the top front offices in the NFL the past decade plus. Newsome is as astute an NFL executive as one can find. The Ravens decision to pay Flacco is one that can't be judged good or bad on its merits as things stand right now...everyone will see in a few seasons.

The offensive leader of your team leads you to a Super Bowl title, is young and a physical specimen, just what is the big deal making him the highest paid at his position RIGHT NOW? In a year, his deal will be eclipsed by those offered other rising star QB's...the cap will continue to rise...who's to say Flacco's deal isn't a bargain in three years? I look at this deal as a sound business judgement made by a very sound organization.

Yes
We can still be Pats fans and find something to respect in worthy opponents

That was initially my first reaction too, Deus, but then other outlets such as this specific link from FOX news started coming to the same conclusion so that creates some more controversy.

It seems as though cap experts and even different agents even are still unsure how to read this.

I would like to believe what you're saying obviously, and that was certainly my first reaction, but the bottom line is can we prove that to be true?

Their conclusion isn't really different, Supa. They're taking the same data and minimizing the final 3 years while pumping up the initial payout.

Brady gained:

Immediate guarantee of money that would have been guaranteed at the end of the season anyway. (Yes, that means Brady's covered for injury where he wouldn't have been before, but the Patriots weren't going to cut Brady before next year unless he was crippled, so it's essentially a distinction without a difference).

3 million extra up front, at the cost of, theoretically, about 27-33 million on the backside.

Now, Brady and the Patriots can do a restructure/extension/new deal after year 2, if they want to give Brady some of the money back, so I'm not suggesting we nominate him for sainthood. However, the reality is that he's taking a huge haircut on the deal as it currently stands, assuming the current reports are true and generally accurate.

Yes
We can still be Pats fans and find something to respect in worthy opponents

Which is 100% all I was trying to point out.

After hearing over and over again how "Baltimore made such a horrible decision," and how they are "in cap hell and will be losing all of their key players" I started to wonder how this misconception became so popular?

When a poster pointed out that "Baltimore was currently in re-building mode now" I decided to try to clear the air with actual facts.

The Brady pact became a side note, and it seems as though both sides can say that they came out pretty well, which is another misconception that I tried to clear up---that Brady was somehow allowing himself to be screwed to better the team. It started with a poster's comment that "we all saw what the front office had to get Brady to agree to..."

In all reality he made out pretty well too. He broke ground with his deal which now allows him to be the first ever player who's deal is actually 100% guaranteed for the lifetime of the contract--which is completely unheard of, and not a bad place to be in when you're heading to the age of 40 in the NFL. That is what people seem to be forgetting.

He may have agreed to take less money, which is what I personally believe and wanted to think the whole time (although that is currently a big debate in league circles as to how that will work out towards the end of the deal), but by doing so he gets a huge amount of money up front, and also sets his own ruling for guaranteeing himself the full amount of money for his entire deal, which is something that more QBs may be willing to do in the future, particularly those who are heading into their last contract.

It's ALL about the guaranteed money in every contract, and that's what I wanted to point out that so many posters seemed to be forgetting by suggesting that he took some kind of horrible deal.

Their conclusion isn't really different, Supa. They're taking the same data and minimizing the final 3 years while pumping up the initial payout.

Brady gained:

Immediate guarantee of money that would have been guaranteed at the end of the season anyway. (Yes, that means Brady's covered for injury where he wouldn't have been before, but the Patriots weren't going to cut Brady before next year unless he was crippled, so it's essentially a distinction without a difference).

3 million extra up front, at the cost of, theoretically, about 27-33 million on tha backside.

Now, Brady and the Patriots can do a restructure/extension/new deal after year 2, if they want to give Brady some of the money back, so I'm not suggesting we nominate him for sainthood. However, the reality is that he's taking a huge haircut on the deal as it currently stands, assuming the current reports are true and generally accurate.

So the skepticism likely stems from some believing that he will simply re-do his pact in a couple/few yrs down the line then, I assume? It makes it difficult when even some of the local Boston outlets questioned this, along with some of the bigger outlets across the country. If it were just PFT, I wouldn't have paid it any mind. You can clearly see that Florio is STILL going on about it, in his last post yesterday about the Arrington negotiations. Clearly he seems to have an axe to grind.

Again, I honestly believed that he did take less money overall, but the point still stands that it's all about the guaranteed money in every pact, and by being guaranteed that he'll see every penny over the course of the deal, he also made out pretty well too, so that was really my initial point. It seems that many believe that he should be fit with a halo for doing this, and while they'd have a point that he's seeing less in the final 3 yrs, they'd also be forgetting that he'll be guaranteed to see the entire full 5 yr salary with a pretty nice upfront payment.

I actually think that both sides should be pretty happy, not just the front office, and that's what many here seem to wrongly think.

Anyway, thanks for adding to the debate with facts.

...It's ALL about the guaranteed money in every contract, and that's what I wanted to point out that so many posters seemed to be forgetting by suggesting that he took some kind of horrible deal.

Just a note, because I think this is where you may be getting sidetracked by the reports. Guaranteed money is huge, and it's the most important part of a longterm deal. However, "almost sure to be earned" money is also important, and that's what the reports were ignoring.

In other words, it's not just the guarantees, but also the early salaries and bonuses. What Florio was doing was focusing on the guarantees of the new deal and ignoring the "almost sure to be earned" money of the old deal. He was screwing around trying to dig up controversy, because he's the Michael Felger of PFT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST