PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet Fan Twitter source: Pats to shop Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Credible Twitter source: Pats to shop Welker

Not happening anytime soon, remember no player trading for the draft pick this season until a new CBA is in place.

This

/end thread

Here's a few things.

First, IB is a credible source. He does not break fake stories because he is a Jets fan. But a credible source these days means someone who thinks he is right. Bob is not always right; in fact, he's wrong quite a bit. I'm sure he did heard this rumor from an inside source, although who knows if it is true or false.

Second, Edelman might not be able to play a sixteen game schedule. People don't realize how much of a physical beating Welker takes and gets right back up. Wes has much better hands and much more toughness than Edelman.

The only way I see the Pats trading Welker is if they really don't think they're in the same ballpark for an extension. It would be a real shame and I really hope it's not true. WW is a huge bargain for his salary, even just for one more year. Additionally, the guy is a winner and irreplaceable player.

Finally, I heard that there is some smoke about the real reason for benching Welker. A few people were saying that it was more than just the foot comments.

The guy has been Brady's security blanket.This team needs some players on the outside.

The offense is a sort to medium passing game.

Why is Wes not a fit for that?

I was thinking the same thing. did you see how long it took us to drive the ball on the jets when were losing by 11. I say keep welker and get a big tall reciever that can stretch the field. I like how jackson goes up to get the ball, while tate waits for the ball to come to him. tate can actually be a good slot. Taylor price is who I am excited to see. he looked super fast when he was playing against the dolphins! I wouldn't mind bringing back moss as long as he is not asking for a big salary. he may not be the player he once was but at least he will take revis off welker and branch and then opening things for hernandez and gronk. I liked moss as a decoy. I don't like how it seemed that brady would have a knack for always throwing deep to moss no matter how many people were sticking him.

Last edited:

This would be a stupid decision.

I agree with u....welker has been the ultimate patriot and can and will do anything for thus team. If the pats get another top shelf WR that can stretch the field....welks production will go through roof again.....I guess if a #1 is on table and they are worried about welker's long term durability...maybe...but I hope he is here rest if his career....

First step in being credible, is having an actual name. Writing about, or working for a football team would help, but being an actual verifiable human is essential IMO.

I don't know. I think I will wait for that Patriots' insider who posts on the Patriots ESPN message board to independent, credible verification.

I'm pretty sure Incarcerated Bob had Brandon Marshall going to the Jets this past offseason too. Here is one he got on the money:

A man on Twitter by the handle of Incarcerated Bob, is reporting that according to inside sources, the New York Jets will release Braylon Edwards before next Sunday Night's game against the Miami Dolphins.

Incarcerated Bob says that he breaks news faster than the mainstream media, we'll see.
Incarcerated Bob reports Jets will release Braylon Edwards

Here's another one where he correctly broke that LeBron James would be a Knick:

RealGM • View topic - Incarcerated Bob reports Lebron will be a Knick

Finally, I heard that there is some smoke about the real reason for benching Welker. A few people were saying that it was more than just the foot comments.

What kind of "more"?

Since he got injured I've been saying he won't get another contract here, not with Edelman ready to slide into the role at a fraction of the cost. Might as well get something for him. I WOULD NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRADE HIM WITHIN THE CONFERENCE.

Could the Patriots decide to trade Welker rather than extend his contract?

Yes, that is a distinct possibility.

Could the Patriots decide to extend Welker and keep him beyond 2011?

Yes, that is a distinct possibility.

Is Incarcerated Bob a credible source?

No, that is highly unlikely.

Pretty much covers it.

One way that this could make sense (and I'm not giving "Bob" credit here because anyone can speculate) is what this board has discussed, need for a "stretch the field" receiver. Pretty safe to say that with Welker, Branch, Edelman, Gronk and Hernandez, the short to intermediate thing is covered. Add Tate and Slater with their ST value and then Price and ... who you gonna move and how? Deion's not going anywhere and ST benefits give Tate and Slater some advantage (even if Tate really didn't do much as KR after his two TDs).

Since he got injured I've been saying he won't get another contract here, not with Edelman ready to slide into the role at a fraction of the cost. Might as well get something for him. I WOULD NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRADE HIM WITHIN THE CONFERENCE.

Rams could probably use receivers.

Trade him to the Jets for a 6th rounder.

And Rapoport in response to someone else on Twitter:

"Yeah, whatever. Kinda dumb. He's been wrong on about 800 things."

Twitter

So that makes him as credible as Borges or Felger.

The offense is a sort to medium passing game.

Why is Wes not a fit for that?

He's an undersized slot receiver who specializes in quick cuts over the middle. The problem is that in a 2TE base offense, there's always at least one other player on the field who is just as good at that. I love Welker as a slot receiver, but I think he can be upgraded when it comes to going out wide.

Rams could probably use receivers.

They've got Danny Amendola. You know, the other undrafted slot receiver from Texas Tech.

He's an undersized slot receiver who specializes in quick cuts over the middle. The problem is that in a 2TE base offense, there's always at least one other player on the field who is just as good at that. I love Welker as a slot receiver, but I think he can be upgraded when it comes to going out wide.

Welker is the best in the league at making the short, quick cuts to the edge and into the middle. There is no player on the field who's going to be as good as him at doing so.

Again, Hernandez does not and and, indeed, cannot, do what Welker does.

Welker is the best in the league at making the short, quick cuts to the edge and into the middle. There is no player on the field who's going to be as good as him at doing so.

Again, Hernandez does not and and, indeed, cannot, do what Welker does.

If we assume a 2TE formation (which the Pats used way more than any other team this season), then there's a corner on Welker and a linebacker or safety on Hernandez. Those are pretty comparable matchups. If it's Gronk and Crump on the field, the Gronk is also pretty good at getting yards over the middle, just for pretty much the completely opposite reason than Welker (being big and tall).

If we assume a 2TE formation (which the Pats used way more than any other team this season), then there's a corner on Welker and a linebacker or safety on Hernandez. Those are pretty comparable matchups. If it's Gronk and Crump on the field, the Gronk is also pretty good at getting yards over the middle, just for pretty much the completely opposite reason than Welker (being big and tall).

Why would you assume that formation? We use it, sure, but it seems kinda foolish to get rid of your ability to effectively use formations other than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News