PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet Fan Twitter source: Pats to shop Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Credible Twitter source: Pats to shop Welker

Welker's not going anywhere. He's the kind of player the team needs, and I don't see them going away from that. Plus, he should be better next year, with that much more time back from surgery. I think if he makes contract demands that don't make sense for the team, they may let him walk, but I don't see this as a scenario where they cut him before that just to get more draft picks.

They have a lot of youth and plenty of picks. They aren't going to get rid of a hard-working talented vet to add picks at this point, imo.

Cut Brady.

Getting rid of a WR that was nothing more than a decoy in Moss was the way to go.

Getting rid of the best slot receiver in the league and with him being more healthy after a year later is not the way to go.

We all saw Brady putting up a huge year one year after looking so so a year after ACL injury...expect a monster year from Welker in 11......if there is an 11

Like someone said before, this talk is useless until a new CBA is done. Only thing that can happen is the draft.

I really don't believe this. And this is over what, Wes talking about feet before the game? If that is the reason, BB will have compounded a bad move, benching Welker, with idiocy, dealing him away because he's now somehow considered a malcontent?!

We have bingo.

To the OP: Welker is the definition of "Team" .Period. God how quickly some people forget. From some of the comments made here, you would think some people have never followed this team in their lives.

"Welker is not longer a fit for our system"? Huh? What?
"Out of favor with BB and the FO because of his "Foot" PC"? Seriously?
"He'll be on the wrong side of 30"? Unbelievable. Dude is squarley in his prime.

Welker is NOT going to command, nor demand a "mega" contract in 2012, and anyone saying we would get a first for him is smoking crack. A second rounder is stretching it as well. He is a perfect fit for THIS TEAM.

Don't' get me wrong, we NEED a better vertical threat (who may already be on the roster) but this has zero to do with Welker. The Edelman argument probably has the most merit--I love what I've seen out of Edelman so far, especially this year because he F'in cares and is a total baller. (Sound familiar?) He probably would never be as good as Welker in the slot, but he could end up being close.

Last edited:

Does anybody think the Welker benching has something to do with this, if it is in fact true?
Welker was benched for a series as a disciplinary action.
If you are going to take some guy twittering that he thinks Welker will be traded as fact and then assume that BB decided that he will consider trading Welker in the off-season so he will bench him in a game, then make up a story that it was a disciplinary move, I just don't know where to begin.

Welker was benched for a series as a disciplinary action.
If you are going to take some guy who is a self-proclaimed Jets fan twittering that he thinks Welker will be traded as fact and then assume that BB decided that he will consider trading Welker in the off-season so he will bench him in a game, then make up a story that it was a disciplinary move, I just don't know where to begin.

A wee bit of editing. I wouldn't know where to begin either.

Like Ian says, it's going to be a long off-season.

Last edited:

A wee bit of editing. I wouldn't know where to begin either.

Like Ian says, it's going to be a long off-season.
So we are to believe a Jet fan has inside information about the Patriots off-season plans 3 days after the season is over?
How did this even get a thread? And how did CREDIBLE end up in the title?

When do you guys think Welker will start slowing down? He turns 30 on May 1 and has taken a lot more punishment than the average receiver.

I'd HATE to lose wes but, this isn't a terrible idea. Welker wants new contract soon and edelmen is cheap.

Who knows if the report is credible but it might not be a bad idea. He's coming off an injury and clearly has value. The Pats WR is that Edelman, Branch and Welker are similar type receivers, perhaps too similar. None is known for speed, each can work the slot and/or middle of the field, and all 3 can gain some decent YAC. There might be an argument for getting a field-stretching type WR.

Something to consider is WRs in the mold of Welker, players like Tom Waddle, Wayne Chrebet, Brandon Stokley, don't tend to last very long. They take a tremendous amount of punishment having to get their bread and butter in the middle of the field. Occasionally you have a WR who has survived a bit longer, Ricky Proehl, but he was never a legitimate starter. Don Beebe survived in an era with smaller defenders and able to hide a bit more in a pure hurry up/run and shoot type offense.

Welker is fearless and plays hard, but he takes some savage hits.

I don't think the Pats trade him if the value is around his compensation pick value ( probably a third rounder if he starts and produces for another team) I think a 2nd rounder might do it. Welker isn't worth a first because the dynamics of what is worth a 1st rounder in a trade has changed quite a bit over the years. IIRC, Welker cost the Patriots a 2nd and a 7th, quite a steal, so if they get a 2nd back, that's quite a bargain in the long run.

Great player, but he won't last forever and the injury has probably sapped something out of him for good. The good thing is Brady relies on him, the bad thing is Brady relies on him. Carson Palmer turned night and day when Ocho Cinco and Owen were both out of his lineup.

It might not just be money and age, it might be those things plus the concerns of the kind of abuse he has taken over the past couple of years.

If they can get a 2nd, and who says it has to be this upcoming draft, I think he goes. I think, IMHO, that Belichick is targeting Larry Fitzgerald in a trade. Belichick is not afraid to spend money for what he thinks is the right player ( big contract to Thomas and big offer to Peppers)

I have to agree with the cutting Brady idea.

Well, they better hurry. We can't trade anyone until there's a new collective bargaining agreement.

People think Edelman is the answer but forget he has gone through injuries in his short career and has already missed time...I would think this could be an issue if he ends up like Maroney or Crable perhaps.

Other than that ACL,Welker has not missed much time

1) There can be no shopping Welker until the new CAB is signed, so any scoop is premature.

2) I do think that Welker will be extended or traded. We've seen this before. I would be more than happy to see Welker extended. I also would understand if Belichick traded him with an inexpensive year left on his contract (to get decent compensation).

3) Whether we trade Welker or not, we need a top level downfield receiver to play outside opposite Branch.

If I remember correctly this incarceratedbob guy is just a fan who calls into WFAN, supposedly from prison. He said that vjax was going to play for the Vikings this year and that the Jets were going to release Edwards after his DUI, so I wouldn't take this seriously.

Is it possible that the Pats will trade Welker? Sure. But this guys source on Welker being traded is most likely just the thread here after the jets game! :rolleyes:

We can't trade anyone until there's a new collective bargaining agreement.

Don't say that to anyone. That'll take the drama out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back