PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Rice/Mangini say Ocho can turn it around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, upgrade over Tate so far? I dont think so.

First 6 games

Tate 2010 - 12 rec for 138 yds and 2 TDs on KO returns
Ocho 2011 - 9 rec for 136 yds and no TDs.

Tate brought more value to the team with his special teams performance.

I said the same thing the other day. Tate had more production and was useful in the return game. I can't believe we wasted picks and a butt load of money to dump Tate for Ochosuckass.

I said the same thing the other day. Tate had more production and was useful in the return game. I can't believe we wasted picks and a butt load of money to dump Tate for Ochosuckass.

Rumors had it that Tate lost a ton of speed in the off season.

Lloyd wasn't available then and we had a shortened offseason. Ocho hasn't clicked right away and I'm not sure he'll ever click, but he's the 5th option on offense. I don't see any reason for alarm either way. Tate was not the answer either. We could have drafted Mike Wallace instead but you can't go back and change history.

Last edited:
It's not my money, so I don't really care....however, if I were in charge of the Pats cap, I sure as heck would not be paying Chad the kind of money he's making to be a fift or 6th option. I'd prefer a back up safety, lineman or lb. That's just me though. A good majority of folks thinks it's way cool to see a "star" riding the bench and tweeting about Starbucks lemon loaf. Yeah!

Last edited:

Not to mention that Tate is much younger than Chad Jackson too.

Ah, upgrade over Tate so far? I dont think so.

First 6 games

Tate 2010 - 12 rec for 138 yds and 2 TDs on KO returns
Ocho 2011 - 9 rec for 136 yds and no TDs.

Tate brought more value to the team with his special teams performance.

I am talking on offense. Most of Tates yards in the first six games were garbage time in blowouts.

Mangini has manboobz

Couple of points about Ocho:

1) What do you expect? With Brady completing 67% of his passes (only below his silly 2007 numbers), here are the primary targets he has (with catch rates):

Gronk 76%
Woodhead 73%
Welker 68%
Branch 67%
Hernandez 66%

Who do you want to put on the bench so that Ocho (60% which is probably the same as his Pro Bowl years) can get more looks?

2) Forget the contract and draft picks. The contract money is way beyond his production but it is hardly busting the Pats cap and that money didn't hamstring the operation from making other moves. The picks were both day 3 and the Pats have been shedding those anyway.

3) Branch and Ocho are redundant. Outside of the physical differences, they essentially fill the same role. As long as Branch is healthy, Ocho will get limited targets and the occasional reception.

So Ocho was effectively a very expensive insurance policy. Considering the makeup of this team and their opportunity to win a championship, I'm not complaining as long as Ocho stays out of the tabloids (which he has so far) and doesn't drop easy TD catches (ick...OK I'll give him one).

My only real issue is the effect on Price. Limiting Price's opportunities may be positive (he just turned 24) or negative (he may mentally check out) so we will have to see. So I'll be evaluating the Ocho experiment based on Branch's health and Price's development.

Ocho's situation here is looking more and more bleak with each passing game that he's a non-factor in. Perhaps not as bleak as Joey Galloway who was only here for what, three games into the season? So there's that.

I'm holding out hope that Chad does what Jabar Gaffney did back in 06: A non-factor through the season before finally gelling with Brady at the end into the playoffs. And for the rest of his time here he was a decent little possession receiver. For what it's worth, Chad's also obviously more talented then Jabar. So I'm holding onto that optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes