PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Rice/Mangini say Ocho can turn it around

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Hot Button: Can Ocho be salvaged? - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I think I agree with them here....its hard to see it happening because ocho never really looked comfortable out there. But he is a good receiver and if he can ever put it together here, he can make an impact.

theres instances like the tough 3rd down sideline catch against the Jets where he looked pretty good....then you have instances like last week where he looked totally lost and out of place.

Hopefully he can put it together after the bye...because for all the criticism that I/others have given him...I would really like to see him put it all together and be successful here. not just for him..but because having another weapon would make an already potent Pats passing offense even more deadly

How many times do we even seen him to know if he looks comfortable or not? At times this season Brady has been keying in on receivers. On some days, it is Welker, then Gronk, then Hernandez. Brady does not look at anybody else. Until you see the real film with all 22 cameras there is no way for us to know if he gets open or not.

Ochocinco doesn't need to turn it around. He has a niche role on this team and that is how he will be used unless Branch or Welker go down.

Oh, my God. ESPN is promoting Eric Mangini on a platform with Jerry Rice as if he were an equal. Take me out back and shoot me. In the head.

Eric Mangini, besides being an ungrateful snake rat snitch slimeball, was a career 33-47 head coach putting him right there Richie Kotite for least competent of all time. What the hell does he know? He was a defensive coach.

Rice knows what he sees as the greatest receiver of all time. But Mangini?!? C'mon, ESPN.

If Ochostinko is getting the Eric Mangina vote of confidence, he ought to hang 'em up right now. What the hell is this all about? Why is everybody rushing to say he's gonna turn it around?

Where is the guy that is supposed to shoot me?

Ochocinco?

I... don't... care.

And I think his last name is ridiculous. Quite frankly, as long as it doesn't impact the Pats negatively, I got no problem with him continuing his suckatrociousness.

He needs to take advantage of these two weeks and drill the playbook, maybe with one of the backup QBs. If that's beneath him, he'll just fade away. there isn't time to wander around in this D, you need to run sharp routes, then make the right decision based on the coverage. Otherwise you ain't getting the ball, period.

I don't care if Chad Ochocinco is Jerry Rice in his prime. Branch and Brady have telepathy after playing together for so long. To expect ANY WR to come in here and just jump ahead of Deion Branch after a short pre-season and 6 weeks of play is completely unrealistic.

Although I think Ochocinco will be far better in the second half of the year than he was in the first half, I am tired of this subject. Do we need to rehash Ochocinco every day? He is the #3 WR on the team. All he needs to be is an upgrade to Brandon Tate from last year which he has been. Anything more is a bonus at this point.

Ocho is fine. There are just guys ahead of him in experience...when someone (Branch) gets injured he will get his chance. He crucial drop got him benched for a couple of games but he will be back.

Don't listen to the douches on WEEI/Felger; he will be fine

Until Fans start ignoring the Ochocinco banter the media won't stop putting it out there every day. Would you take your best selling product off the shelf?

Ochocinco doesn't need to turn it around. He has a niche role on this team and that is how he will be used unless Branch or Welker go down.

but if that happens and he hasn't turned it around yet it will be too late.

I think its something to note to that Deion branch has only played a full 16game season once in his career....so there will probably be a game or 2 where Chad has to be thrust into the starting lineup.

Hopefully chad uses this bye-week to get up to speed on the playbook, and the coaches can carve out a role for him after the bye...if he can start to put up 40-50yards a game in 2-3catches, I think I would be happy with that

Last edited:
Thank God for these Ochocinco threads. Where else would I be able to see the same comments over and over ....and over again. No only that, when would I be able to MAKE the same comments OVER and OVER.....etc.

Never had so much been made of the FIFTH receiver option on the BEST passing attack in the league. PERIOD. Chad will be of real value if Branch breaks down, or one of the WRs goes down and we use more 3 wide.

That's the situation. At this point the ONLY thing one really should be on Chad's case for, is the drop in Buffalo and, if you want to stretch it, not beating out Brady's favorite receiver of the last decade

What's next a thread wondering why we haven''t seen more from Julian Edelman? Oh wait....

Thank God for these Ochocinco threads. Where else would I be able to see the same comments over and over ....and over again. No only that, when would I be able to MAKE the same comments OVER and OVER.....etc.

Never had so much been made of the FIFTH receiver option on the BEST passing attack in the league. PERIOD. Chad will be of real value if Branch breaks down, or one of the WRs goes down and we use more 3 wide.

That's the situation. At this point the ONLY thing one really should be on Chad's case for, is the drop in Buffalo and, if you want to stretch it, not beating out Brady's favorite receiver of the last decade

What's next a thread wondering why we haven''t seen more from Julian Edelman? Oh wait....

I think it speaks more to the fact that the pats are in a pretty good place right now at 5-1 and an improving defense when this is one of our biggest issues

That is correct. We use the ace package (2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB) heavily, and Ocho is not part of that. He only sees the field in the posse or jet, and fans incorrectly interpret that as a form of punishment.

He made two errors in the Cowboy games though, one was a flag fade against a zone (should have been a comeback), and the other was an in route (when they ran that stupid quad right play). Both routes were coverage dictated, and in the latter example, Ocho should have gone on an out post because the corner on him was playing inside out technique with a high safety (man free coverage). Brady had seen that and had already thrown for the out route but Ocho turned in. He was yanked for the rest of that series.

However he does make a difference, despite producing average results. He still draws the safety to his side, despite Branch being on the other side- so his presence on the field alone makes it easier for Branch and Welker.

Huge fan here. Bought his jersey too. I hope for more production at some point but do understand he is far down the depth chart.

Probably another thread explaining why BJGE will lose carries to Ridley in the near future. :rolleyes:

Johnson is in the FIFTH slot because he isnt good enough to be 1ST or 2ND on the depth chart. Though, he is being paid like a 1ST WR option.

Although I think Ochocinco will be far better in the second half of the year than he was in the first half, I am tired of this subject. Do we need to rehash Ochocinco every day? He is the #3 WR on the team. All he needs to be is an upgrade to Brandon Tate from last year which he has been. Anything more is a bonus at this point.

Ah, upgrade over Tate so far? I dont think so.

First 6 games

Tate 2010 - 12 rec for 138 yds and 2 TDs on KO returns
Ocho 2011 - 9 rec for 136 yds and no TDs.

Tate brought more value to the team with his special teams performance.

Last edited:
Aaaaah Ocho! I sense this will be an ongoing saga with Pats fans and the media alike. He has disappointed so far, but as long as he's not giving up, I don't see any reason to give up on him. Here's hoping the light turns on for Ochocinco. He's wearing our laundry so I'll root for him to do his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back