PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Jones impeding Roger Goodell's contract negotiations

Since when is Jerry Jones the voice of reason?

He's not, Hes the spiteful Hippocratic Rodeoclown that would be pushing the deal through had his new star running back not just been hit by "the random punishment machine" aka Roger dodger.

And in this case zeke deserved to be suspended, which makes it all the more hilarious.

The NFL was in single-digit billions (with a B) three or four years ago in terms of gross revenue. It's doing >14B in gross now. I remember in the early Pats SB years, it was more like $4 B.

To the League*, he's not anything symbolic, he's a CEO. They could give two bowel movements if the league becomes rollerball or WWE, with that kind of revenue growth.

He's bad at his job if you follow the sport. He's good at his job if you want plotlines and irrelevant eye candy... he gives you angels and demons, storylines, etc., on a regular basis. Football has quasi-political "issues" that you can angrily tweet about. There's lots of swag to buy if you have more money than sense ("color rush," anybody?), and there are great graphics with their own signature "whoosh" and "chunk" noises, so it's not really a game on TV anymore, it's more like an action movie. Hell, there's even a transformer robot somehow inseparable from the game on one network. The telestrator's gone, replaced with 3-D Madden-like breakdowns. We've always watched it for its entertainment value, and now it's turned the corner from sport to reality TV/soap opera/action movie etc. Any entertainment form we'll buy is what they're selling.

I think ultimately the concussion issue is going to kill the game, no matter what else happens with it, and you younger guys will be N.E. Revolution fans or something by the time you're a middle aged old fart like me.

Sure, but the increase in comp is out of line with the increase in revenue (IMHO).

02-98.png

And this helps the Cowboys how? (Answer: not at all, and could hurt them down the road.)

Jerry Jones is to Robert Kraft as Rex Ryan is to Bill Belichik. For the life of me, I'll never understand why so many Pats fans who would never want BB to act more like Rex Ryan want Kraft to be more like Jones.
Most likely because your analogy is way off base

Sure, but the increase in comp is out of line with the increase in revenue (IMHO).

02-98.png

Not really. The graphics are misleading.

Goody's salary is in millions.

NFL revenue is in billions.

In 2006 NFL Revenues were $6b. Goody's comp was $6m. Thats 1/10th of 1% of revenue.

In 2013, NFL Revenue was $10b. Goody's comp was $44m. Thats 4/10ths of 1% of revenue.

So they pay the guy an extra $38m and their "investment" nets an extra $4b.

I would do that deal any day of the week.

At the end of the day, the owners need to decide if Goody is good for business or bad for business. If they think his efforts have had a direct impact on going from $6b to in 2016 $14b, the guy is not being paid enough.

02-98.png

I have never been convinced that Goodell is the primary reason for the uptick in NFL revenue. He may have had some part in it (additional revenue streams), but most of it is due to television network compensation. Isn't that work mostly done by Robert Kraft, who has been the chairman of that committee since prior to the big increase in revenue in 2011?

Goodell is a beneficiary of being in the right place at the right time. His credit for the increased revenues are overstated by many in the media.

Not really. The graphics are misleading.

Goody's salary is in millions.

NFL revenue is in billions.

In 2006 NFL Revenues were $6b. Goody's comp was $6m. Thats 1/10th of 1% of revenue.

In 2013, NFL Revenue was $10b. Goody's comp was $44m. Thats 4/10ths of 1% of revenue.

So they pay the guy an extra $38m and their "investment" nets an extra $4b.

I would do that deal any day of the week.

At the end of the day, the owners need to decide if Goody is good for business or bad for business. If they think his efforts have had a direct impact on going from $6b to in 2016 $14b, the guy is not being paid enough.
You are giving him way more credit than he is due.

Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! We should also add he's an immoral and corrupt human being.
It's how things are run in this country. It's also how you have to be, to a certain extent, to be successful, powerful and rich. It's why the rich are rich and the poor are kept down by the rich man. They benefit more from the system that is in place. There are exceptions but for the most part it is what it is.

You are giving him way more credit than he is due.

I hate Goody as much as the next guy but everyone on this board including me is not totally informed to exactly what Goody does day-to-day and strategically to generate revenue. He could do nothing. He could be the next Jack Welch. We don't know. With that said, that is not what you are arguing. You are arguing his comp does not follow revenue linearly and is overpaid because of it. Knowing a little about this topic, executive compensation can be a complicated formula. It could be based on revenue + profit. It could be based on achieving business objectives. It could be anything. Seeing how the NFL went from $6b to $14b in 10 years and assuming he had something to do with it, making $30m is very reasonable.

I've read that, so far this season, there's been a 14% decline in viewership. I have to think that Goodell is at least partly to blame for this. That, and people being turned off by player protests during the anthem and their teams being moved.

I hate Goody as much as the next guy but everyone on this board including me is not totally informed to exactly what Goody does day-to-day and strategically to generate revenue. He could do nothing. He could be the next Jack Welch. We don't know. With that said, that is not what you are arguing. You are arguing his comp does not follow revenue linearly and is overpaid because of it. Knowing a little about this topic, executive compensation can be a complicated formula. It could be based on revenue + profit. It could be based on achieving business objectives. It could be anything. Seeing how the NFL went from $6b to $14b in 10 years and assuming he had something to do with it, making $30m is very reasonable.

Oh, by no means do I think that Goodell is the only over-compensated exec in the land. They are all massively overpaid, and in most cases that over-payment really has little to do with the value the executives are adding.

Pay without Performance

http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/bebchuk/pdfs/Performance-Part2.pdf

Pay without Performance — Lucian Bebchuk, Jesse Fried | Harvard University Press
The company is under-performing, its share price is trailing, and the CEO gets…a multi-million-dollar raise. This story is familiar, for good reason: as this book clearly demonstrates, structural flaws in corporate governance have produced widespread distortions in executive pay. Pay without Performance presents a disconcerting portrait of managers’ influence over their own pay—and of a governance system that must fundamentally change if firms are to be managed in the interest of shareholders.

Lucian Bebchuk and Jesse Fried demonstrate that corporate boards have persistently failed to negotiate at arm’s length with the executives they are meant to oversee. They give a richly detailed account of how pay practices—from option plans to retirement benefits—have decoupled compensation from performance and have camouflaged both the amount and performance-insensitivity of pay. Executives’ unwonted influence over their compensation has hurt shareholders by increasing pay levels and, even more importantly, by leading to practices that dilute and distort managers’ incentives.

This book identifies basic problems with our current reliance on boards as guardians of shareholder interests. And the solution, the authors argue, is not merely to make these boards more independent of executives as recent reforms attempt to do. Rather, boards should also be made more dependent on shareholders by eliminating the arrangements that entrench directors and insulate them from their shareholders. A powerful critique of executive compensation and corporate governance, Pay without Performance points the way to restoring corporate integrity and improving corporate performance.

Oh, by no means do I think that Goodell is the only over-compensated exec in the land. They are all massively overpaid, and in most cases that over-payment really has little to do with the value the executives are adding.

Pay without Performance

Pay without Performance — Lucian Bebchuk, Jesse Fried | Harvard University Press

Agree. How some of these execs are comp'd and their "success" is measured at some of these companies is complete ******** and sickening.

I tend to agree Goody is a grossly overpaid moron and provides little value for his services but I don't know that for a fact. Just gotta go by what his bosses say and do which tells us they think he does a good job for them.

Jerry Jones is hilarious. He was asked about the interception where Ezekiel Elliott didn't even remotely bother trying to tackle the defender.

Jones literally argued that yes, Elliott gave up on the play but it's no big deal because a whole bunch of other players also gave up on the play.

It blows my mind how some teams behave in such a manner. We are spoiled indeed.

Jerry Jones is hilarious. He was asked about the interception where Ezekiel Elliott didn't even remotely bother trying to tackle the defender.

Jones literally argued that yes, Elliott gave up on the play but it's no big deal because a whole bunch of other players also gave up on the play.

It blows my mind how some teams behave in such a manner. We are spoiled indeed.

Yeah, might have been nice to have the fastest guy on your offense help to chase down the defender.

Agree. How some of these execs are comp'd and their "success" is measured at some of these companies is complete ******** and sickening.

I tend to agree Goody is a grossly overpaid moron and provides little value for his services but I don't know that for a fact. Just gotta go by what his bosses say and do which tells us they think he does a good job for them.
It seems equally valid to go with the information that states that Jerrah delayed closing the contract that was being close to being signed in the off season, and that at least Jerrah and perhaps other owners think he's overpaid.

What we read is that Jerrah is inserting himself into the loop by attending the executive compensation committee meetings even though he's not a member of that committee.

That's something that's being done.

Just sayin'..

Considering how the NFL owners collectively try to squeeze every last dollar they can out of NFL customers, I do find it a bit odd that they would pay Goodell as much as they do. I would think that they would be able to find some up and coming exec with an MBA and semi-relevant business experience to take the position for half as much money. Factor in the additional unnecessary costs from their various investigations and court cases, that's about an extra million dollars in every owner's pockets every year.

Of course the problem for the 32 is that any potential applicant is going to expect to make the same kind of money that Roger did, so that is probably not a realistic expectation.
It's not hard to make sure the candidate knows the reason the last guy got fired was because of those expectations, and that there's dozens of other candidates who would love to be the NFL Commissioner.

One think that seems to not be much discussed in this thread is that as good as the numbers have been over the last few years, they could be even better if this bizarre fixation on player discipline wasn't taking away so much focus from the enjoyment of the game and its players.

Pay without Performance

CEOs are ALL overpaid. Some are more overpaid than others.

It seems equally valid to go with the information that states that Jerrah delayed closing the contract that was being close to being signed in the off season, and that at least Jerrah and perhaps other owners think he's overpaid.

What we read is that Jerrah is inserting himself into the loop by attending the executive compensation committee meetings even though he's not a member of that committee.

That's something that's being done.

Just sayin'..

I'm of the notion that JJ is inserting himself into this process not because he thinks Goody is paid too much but rather his way of showing Goody who really holds the purse strings and has the power.....and it ain't Goody.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back