PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jed York clowns Florio on Twitter

There is a narrative that always gets used by the media folks breaking these that makes me laugh.

It goes - the story is true and you'll notice no one denied it on the record in my story. Then it shifts to the only one who denied it is the party who looks bad and of course they denied it - my story made them look bad. They can't be trusted. You'll notice the other side didn't deny it. That proves its true.

The 49ers have 3 options - confirm it, deny it, say nothing. All 3 will prove the validity of the story according to the writer.

As for Cleveland not denying it, which also "proves" it is true - we'll ignore that they have no motivation to deny it since (as pathetic as this is) a real attempt to lure Harbaugh is the most positive PR thing the organization will have seen in a long time. We have to ignore the motives of those not denying it. Only the motives of the party disagreeing with the media matters.

Multiple outlets and (probably) multiple sources confirm the basics. This seems to be a case of the main reporter thinking the date got to third base while the team claims it only got to first or second.

Multiple outlets and (probably) multiple sources confirm the basics. This seems to be a case of the main reporter thinking the date got to third base while the team claims it only got to first or second.

I'm sure there was at least a little something to it. The worst kept secret in the NFL over the last season plus has been that Harbaugh and the 49ers don't see eye to eye on what he should be paid and how much say he should have in the organization. It has been written in a lot of places and it was not a coincidence that Harbuagh's name was dropped to replace Mack Brown at Texas.

I'm also sure that no matter what the response from the parties involved was to his story, Florio would be pointing at all of it as confirmation of what he wrote. You see it all the time from him and many others.

Had to laugh at this bit

Mike Florio, who reported the story, said Harbaugh’s wife, Sarah, might have put the brakes on a job switch: “Speculation that I’ve heard is that Harbaugh’s family, specifically his wife, wanted to stay put,” Florio said on 95.7 FM The Game.

Not speculation, but someone else's speculation that he heard. That's great reporting!

Had to laugh at this bit

Not speculation, but someone else's speculation that he heard. That's great reporting!

Mrs. Derrick Mason doesn't see the problem here.

Bizarre to me that the niners would get cheap with their coach all of the sudden.

Do they want to return to irrelevance?

I love the internal disfunction apparently in SF. One less threat to the next Patriots ring.

Fascinating story, two points come to my mind:

• As to whether this bodes well or not for the 49ers due to it becoming a distraction, that ship sailed the day they hired Harbaugh, he has been high-maintenance since his Michigan days. He will find a way to be unhappy with just about anything - that's his history.

• Florio may it may not have been clowned in this, but him bring clowned is not a rare occurrence, given how often he does it to himself. On the other hand, the Yorks are not exactly strangers to "self-clowned" status. Ditto for Haslam and the Brownies

Bottom line is this story involves a bunch of folks that truly deserve each other. For the rest of us, it's grab the popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the crapfest!

Thanks.

I love to read Steven King tell how he writes his fiction too. Fascinating.

Interesting. Any chance that the old RayClay, with the often solid takes, will be taking back his screen name anytime soon?

Interesting. Any chance that the old RayClay, with the often solid takes, will be taking back his screen name anytime soon?

Probably when we have something to talk about. This late draft is killing me. I can't imagine what will pass for discussion fodder come late spring early summer.

Probably when we have something to talk about. This late draft is killing me. I can't imagine what will pass for discussion fodder come late spring early summer.

I hear you with the late draft. They could have kept the draft earlier and allowed the rookies to come in well before the vets and acclimate a bit. I don't see the value of a late draft combined with later OTA attendance times. I know the league sees dollar signs. I see rookies that will not have enough time to adjust to the NFL, and who'll lose out on opportunities as a result.

I hear you with the late draft. They could have kept the draft earlier and allowed the rookies to come in well before the vets and acclimate a bit. I don't see the value of a late draft combined with later OTA attendance times. I know the league sees dollar signs. I see rookies that will not have enough time to adjust to the NFL, and who'll lose out on opportunities as a result.

They see an entertainment deadspot, they don't care how it impacts the team preparation as long as they have a 3 day festival on TV.

I should seriously take a vacation from here, there really isn't much to talk about. I found myself in the position of having to oppose the argument that a player who played full time in four games performed better than a player who was injured and didn't play at all in those four games. That's when it's time to call it a day.

Fun article.
So, "our" Lombardi was allegedly right in the thick of things here.

I'd speculated previously that Lombardi was let go in Cleveland because he couldn't land a "name" coach, e.g. JoshMcD, and if this article is true I can see the owner thinking "If this guy Lombardi can't land ANY of these guys as my HC, why do I pay him?"

They see an entertainment deadspot, they don't care how it impacts the team preparation as long as they have a 3 day festival on TV.

I should seriously take a vacation from here, there really isn't much to talk about. I found myself in the position of having to oppose the argument that a player who played full time in four games performed better than a player who was injured and didn't play at all in those four games. That's when it's time to call it a day.

I took time off last season, sometime after unignoring everyone on draft day and before training camp. I'll probably do it again this season. The first week is tough because I'm used to seeing news and coming here to comment on it. By the time week 4 rolled around, I was thinking seriously of staying away altogether, since I really didn't miss the anklebiters, at all. Obviously, and no doubt to the disappointment of many, I chose to come back in the end. There's always next time, though. :)

I took time off last season, sometime after unignoring everyone on draft day and before training camp. I'll probably do it again this season. The first week is tough because I'm used to seeing news and coming here to comment on it. By the time week 4 rolled around, I was thinking seriously of staying away altogether, since I really didn't miss the anklebiters, at all. Obviously, and no doubt to the disappointment of many, I chose to come back in the end. There's always next time, though. :)

If not here, I'd be listening to radio.

I figure if I am going to deal with people saying Amendola should be cut, I might as well do it here where I could at least whack them via written word.

The thread title needs to be changed to something like "Jed York stupidly opens mouth, ends up getting clowned on the national stage:

NDIANAPOLIS -- Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam confirmed talks occurred with the San Francisco 49ers about possibly obtaining head coach Jim Harbaugh.

Although Harbaugh and 49ers owner John York denied that a deal was in the works to exchange the coach for draft pick, Haslam confirmed the talks.

"There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," Haslam told USA TODAY Sports.

Browns owner confirms Harbaugh talks with 49ers

And now York's ackowledging contact on the issue:

Harbaugh denied the story, and the Niners organization mostly kept quiet except for a tweet from CEO Jed York Friday night denying the story.

That was until Sunday night, when York told me he would not rehash the entire story but did say: “The Browns reached out to me, and we had no interest in pursuing it.”

That confirms this story was more than the Browns spitballing an impossible dream, as the Harbaugh quotes and early Niners denial would make it seem.

Johnny Manziel undergoes image makeover at NFL Scouting Combine | The MMQB with Peter King

This is like saying I ALMOST had sex with marissa miller, because this one time i shouted "HEY MARRISSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Bunch of nonsense, and again showing how ****ty of an owner Haslam is. Instead of putting out a fire, he threw some gas on it. The browns asked if it was possible to trade for the coach, the 49's said "LOL are you ******ed?" and then obviously the browns leaked it out of spite.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back