Welcome to PatsFans.com

James Casey, TE, Rice: Patriots intangibles

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by ctpatsfan77, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +329 / 5 / -5

I'm not going to make an argument as to whether or not he has the skills BB is looking for. But, according to this 2007 SI article, I'd say he's got two things going for him:

(1) Vrabel/Brown-like versatility:

(2) A good head on his shoulders:

I don't know if he would make a good Patriot, but I certainly hope he catches on somewhere.
  2. DW Toys

DW Toys Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -2

I agree with you. I have him as a definite prospect they should draft for. He is BB versatile. He had over 100 catches and 13 touchdowns. The big news is he was their "wildcat" back with 57 rushing attempts at a 4.2 average and 6 TDs! He also played safety and DE at Rice. I think he fits like a Dallas Clark role on the Pats. Flex him slightly.
    DW Toys
  3. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +329 / 5 / -5

Here's another article on the TE they call Thor:

By the way, those seven positions were QB, RB, WR, TE, DE, kick coverage, and kick holder.

After reading this story you can't help but root for the guy. As I said before, even if he doesn't wear a Flying Elvis, I still hope he does well for himself.
  4. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

INterestingly enough, I think BB said he considered Gostkowski's baseball experience as a plus. So perhaps that would also apply to Casey. I had the Pats taking him in the second round in my precombine mock. Let's see if the combine itself moves his stock up or down.
  5. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

BB considered Gost's pitching experience a plus because he showed he could perform under intense pressure, something kickers have to be.

I don't think the fact that a prospect played baseball in itself (and their seems to be a half dozen or more that played minor league BB in this draft) is regarded as a plus, other than it can show some athleticism and/or competitiveness....but so do things like track and field, tennis, and soccer.
  6. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +329 / 5 / -5

He also threw javelin on the track team. . . . :)
  7. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Funny, in their blog today, the guys at Pats Football Weekly came away impressed with another Rice product:

(sorry no link, copied from my RSS reader)

8. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +329 / 5 / -5

9. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +165 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Holy crap. And a 3.84 at Rice with a triple major is pretty unbelievable too. Academically, Rice is pretty close to the Ivies. Sporting News had the Patriots taking him in the second round a week or two ago.

He's a good blocker and creates mismatches receiving. He's not a burner by any stretch but he compares to Dallas Clark and Chris Cooley as an H-back flex type guy. I'd take either of them over Ben Watson in a blink.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  10. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

WR Jarett Dillard...

Yeah, Dillard is one of my Pats prospects. He's being called, "One of the most productive receivers in college football history."

In addition to his production, he has consistent hands, and the ability to get open with his solid route running. Not real fast (4.53), but has impressive athleticism with the 3rd best vertical of 42.5 along with a 10' 9" BJ. Perhaps it's his size (5'10 1/4 191), or lack of speed, but no one here really mentions him.

Decided to focus on the good hands/solid route running receivers this draft, while avoiding the raw talent/high upside speedsters with inconsistent hands and routes. I think it's time to find those who are more NFL-ready as route runners (less developmental time), as getting open is the name of the game. Have Dillard as a R2-3 prospect. Robiskie and McKinley are two others I'm considering.
  11. sg14

sg14 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The versatility reminds me of Cassel, also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.