PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I've Flipped @ # 21 Ashton Youboty

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been big on Bobby Carpenter since the end of the season. But if Ashton Youboty is there at #21, I would take him. I think he would be better than Jimmy Williams.

For the past couple of days I've been reading everthing I could about Youboty. I have become convinced that with a year of good coaching this guy can be a shut down corner for us for many years.

He has all the tools except technique. Once he has been coached well in technique, and yes, learns from mistakes, he may be something.

Anyone else feel that way? Anyone think I'm totally nuts? BOR, tell me why I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I don't think you're nuts - I'm having trouble getting my arms around what I want since I've changed my mind on LB a little and the right WR probably won't be there (plus there being lots of WR for rounds 2-4). Youboty clearly has #1 CB upside but I also like guys like Cedric Griffin and, of course, Marshall for a little later (2nd round for Marshall, maybe our early #3 for Griffin).

But if not CB or LB or WR, then what ? RB like Maroney or a shocker like Addai ? God I would love to trade down but it takes two to tango.

PATSNUTme said:
I've been big on Bobby Carpenter since the end of the season. But if Ashton Youboty is there at #21, I would take him. I think he would be better than Jimmy Williams.

For the past couple of days I've been reading everthing I could about Youboty. I have become convinced that with a year of good coaching this guy can be a shut down corner for us for many years.

He has all the tools except technique. Once he has been coached well in technique, and yes, learns from mistakes, he may be something.

Anyone else feel that way? Anyone think I'm totally nuts? BOR, tell me why I'm wrong.
"Except technique"? Your nuts Nut. For extra credit, tell me why.

Box_O_Rocks said:
"Except technique"? Your nuts Nut. For extra credit, tell me why.

For extra credit say "You're nuts" instead of "Your Nuts".:D

Technique can be taught. I'm saying that he has alll of the other tools and needs to be coached up. He is smart and coachable but lacks experience by coming out a year too early.

So, he would not be a factor for the first half of the year. After that, he could be a very good corner for many years.

Last edited:
Youboty definitely has great upside. When looking at the future at CB :

If you discard Scott and Warfield as older guys signed just for this year and next. Discard Poteat as a journeyman. And consider that Samuel is a UFA in 11 months. That leaves us with Hobbs and Gay.

So drafting a guy now even though we don't really need him is worthwhile to consider. Of course you could make the same arguement about RB if you love one of them (I don't). And OL is still intriguing unless you're sold on Kaczur as a good starter.

PATSNUTme said:
For extra credit say "You're nuts" instead of "Your Nuts".:D

Technique can be taught. I'm saying that he has alll of the other tools and needs to be coached up. He is smart and coachable but lacks experience by coming out a year too early.

So, he would not be a factor for the first half of the year. After that, he could be a very good corner for many years.
Yes technique can be taught, so you need to ask yourself, why a program like Ohio State hasn't taught it yet? Player or coaching? If you need to teach him, you need to go elsewhere in THE FIRST ROUND! You've got a player who is roughly Ellis Hobbs NE's 3rd rounder last year. This isn't a conversion project where your looking for the talent and technique to replace a McGinest pass rush/run stop, and will teach the coverage technique. :nono: Your Nuts! (And yes, that was what I was aiming for :eek: :D)

Box_O_Rocks said:
Your Nuts! (And yes, that was what I was aiming for :eek: :D)

football_blocked_punt-t.jpg

You mean like this guy?

Youboty has a chance to be a shut down corner for many years. Those are rare and MAYBE worth the #21 pick. Not 100% sold yet.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Yes technique can be taught, so you need to ask yourself, why a program like Ohio State hasn't taught it yet?
You could say the same thing about Gamble who the Panthers have to be happy with a couple of years later. Keep in mind Youboty is coming out a year early. If you're looking at upside, a player who is lacking technique and has gotten by on athletic ability is going to have more upside than the opposite.

Here's a related thread I just happened to read at the Browns board :

http://mb25.scout.com/fbrownsinsiderfrm15.showMessage?topicID=56104.topic

It veers off subject somewhat but has some worthwhile stuff from Buckeye fans. They're mixed on him as a first rounder but this was interesting :

"Youboty played with a hip pointer almost all year long, which is devastating to a corner because it limits how well he can do things like turn and run.

When he was healthy the year before, he shut down Braylon Edwards in Columbus.
"

Heh, the kid made my board for first day, he could be the shutdown corner we desire, but could be isn't a great measurable, what we have no longer has me inclined to spend #21 at CB, unless better options are gone and a reach for best fit/value to the Pats is left.

we could definately use a starting quality db, the passed two years we've been playing with nickel backs in both starting spots.

Playmaker needed in the secondary

If I had to take someone from the OSU secondary, I would take Whitner before Youboty. Youboty was burned quite often last year and I think the problem is more than technique.

I just heard that the Bears are looking hard at Youboty.

If we drafted him and he did become a good player, can't you hear the chant from Gillette and across NE "shake You-Booty"

Just saw a mock draft on MSNBC by Wrong Borges. He picks Ashton Youboty as #21 for the Patriots.

I feel so ashamed now. I going back on the Bobby Carpenter bandwagon.

PATSNUTme said:
Just saw a mock draft on MSNBC by Wrong Borges. He picks Ashton Youboty as #21 for the Patriots.

Ouch. That hurts.

Found this on Patriots.com from their DB's on the decline article:

Ashton Youboty, Ohio State – I have seen a lot of Ohio State football the past couple of years and when I heard Youboty was coming out early I thought he was crazy. I’m not sure if he knows this but Youboty was the weak link in the Buckeyes secondary the last two seasons. There was even some talk last spring that Ted Ginn Jr. may switch over to the defensive side of the ball and play some cornerback. Now people are talking about drafting Youboty in the first round? Maybe they haven’t seen the same films that I’ve seen on the Ohio State corner. If they have, teams would see a corner who never looks up at the ball, struggles badly with bigger, more physical receivers and has terrible hands. A lot of times when the ball is in the air, Youboty does what I can’t stand from a cornerback. He just raises his arms up with his back turned to the quarterback. Youboty doesn’t turn his head around and try to locate the ball; he just sticks his hands in the air. In the NFL, that’s a penalty every time.

I like virtually every player on the Ohio State defense but Youboty is the exception. He’s not even close to the top corners in this draft when it comes to quickness, awareness and instincts in my opinion. If Youboty is selected in the first round of the draft, I just think years from now people will look back and say, “Remember Ashton Youboty? I wonder what heâ€s doing now?â€

PATSNUTme said:

Those whom the Gods would make Nuts..... :(

PATSNUTme said:

Now, I don't know Tom Casale from a hole in the wall and have no idea what his credentials are to evaluate talent, but he had this to say:
http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=15975&pcid=46
Tom Casale said:
I’m not sure if he knows this but Youboty was the weak link in the Buckeyes secondary the last two seasons. There was even some talk last spring that Ted Ginn Jr. may switch over to the defensive side of the ball and play some cornerback.
Maybe they haven’t seen the same films that I’ve seen on the Ohio State corner. If they have, teams would see a corner who never looks up at the ball, struggles badly with bigger, more physical receivers and has terrible hands.

Now, other places say that Youboty likes to rely on his atheletic ability more than instinct or technique. Does that REALLY sound like a Pats player?

Last edited:
if we draft corner at 21, and it's not one of these two, i'll....iahhh...i'lll....i dunoo, but itll be bad

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/antoniocromartie.html

interview here: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/antoniocromartie/antoniocromartie.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/jimmywilliams.html

idk why ppl say williams is immature, hes really matured over the past couple of years, he Earned the Don Williams TEAM UNITED Award for outstanding leadership following spring practice

look at the interview here: http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/2005/williams.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back