PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's Official: Big Bang Clock is NFL's Dumbest Football Player

You do realize that for his entire life playing football he has been trained to deliver the hardest hit he can to the receiver in order to separate the ball right?

Trained to go for the head?

Trained to go for the head?
Trained to deliver the hardest hit possible and separate the ball. Hitting in the head is a consequence.
Are you really trying to tell me that before the rule changes any coach ever emphasized to Meriwhether that helmet to hlemet jarring hits on a receiver were a bad thing?
This is football. He was brought up in a culture that appluads decleating.

Trained to deliver the hardest hit possible and separate the ball. Hitting in the head is a consequence.
Are you really trying to tell me that before the rule changes any coach ever emphasized to Meriwhether that helmet to hlemet jarring hits on a receiver were a bad thing?
This is football. He was brought up in a culture that appluads decleating.

Seriously, what don't you understand?

The rules are different today. That does NOT give a player the right to play under rules from bygone eras.

Under your argument, then the Pats should EMPHASIZE pushing their own players in the back on field goals this week because that was alright LAST year????

Sure, Andy - - there is a GRANDFATHER CLAUSE for NFL players who played High School football when it was OK to launch and hit in the head!!! :D

The disconnect you have on this is astounding.

Last edited:

You can argue all you want that he doesn't want to end careers (true, because no one but him knows), but he flat-out states that he's got no choice but to go after knees, and that's why he's a goddamn idiot. You're making excuses for him being a dirty player.

It's amazing how someone who plays as hard as Troy Polamalu isn't known for targeting the head, and yet BM has gotten pinched 3 times in the last 1 and 1/2 seasons, and was the first player to ever be suspended because of it.

Good players don't have to resort to filthy play to stay in the league.

:rolleyes: I had no idea that the ball always comes in at head level, especially after it's already been caught and secured.
It doesn't. But your argument is that a high hit is always a purposeful attempt to injure.

We knew that BM had no regard whatsoever for player safety when he was a Patriot, and that was before the penalties, first-ever suspension for the hits, and his implication that he's going to target knees.
Are you honestly telling me that you think NFL safeties stop and take the safety of the player they are about to hit as hard as they can into account? Or that they lay off the hit because it might hurt?
He was not the first player suspended.

You can argue all you want that he doesn't want to end careers (true, because no one but him knows), but he flat-out states that he's got no choice but to go after knees, and that's why he's a goddamn idiot. You're making excuses for him being a dirty player.
He is saying that if you suspend him for a high hit, he has no choice but to hit low, and the results may be worse. Arguing the logic of a rule does not mean you are trying to purposely create the unintended circumstance.

It's amazing how someone who plays as hard as Troy Polamalu isn't known for targeting the head, and yet BM has gotten pinched 3 times in the last 1 and 1/2 seasons, and was the first player to ever be suspended because of it.
One player not being penalized means no player should be penalized?

Hit high = good. Hit head = bad. Hit knees because you can't hit head = Brandon Meriweather logic.
That just illustrates your lack of understanding. If you want a player to hit high and you call that good, you will get head shots. They are not aiming at a tackling dummy, they are hitting a moving target, that is trying to not be hit.
It is only common sense that if you cannot hit high, you will end up hitting low.
Do you really think tackling a WR is as easy as picking a spot on his body and hitting it exactly every time? In your world there are no missed tackles either I guess.

Seriously, what don't you understand?

The rules are different today. That does NOT give a player the right to play under rules from bygone eras.

Under your argument, then the Pats should EMPHASIZE pushing their own players in the back on field goals this week because that was alright LAST year????

Sure, Andy - - there is a GRANDFATHER CLAUSE for NFL players who played High School football when it was OK to launch and hit in the head!!! :D

The disconnect you have on this is astounding.

No the disconnect of saying that a player in the heat of a game hits the way he was trained to is proof that he is a moron is what is astounding.

Other than that, nice job riddling your post with strawmen, which I bolded.

It is only common sense that if you cannot hit high, you will end up hitting low.
THERE'S A BIG, FAT ******* MIDDLE TO HIT, TOO.

Christ on a cracker.

Sweet Christmas, I'm gonna go watch "This is the End" now.

The problem with Meriweather is that he LEADS with his head. He did it here as well. I'm surprised he hasn't knocked himself out multiple times -- or perhaps he just doesn't feel the difference.

THERE'S A BIG, FAT ******* MIDDLE TO HIT, TOO.

Christ on a cracker.
And you think that tacklers always hit the spot they aim at?
Does that mean every player who has ever had a helmet to helmet hit is stupid and purposely trying to injure like you think Meriwhether is?
Are you seriously trying to tell me that banishing the ability to hit above the chest will not increase the amount of hits below the waist?
You do realize the goal is to stop the play, not to find the safest way to make contact right?

The problem with Meriweather is that he LEADS with his head. He did it here as well. I'm surprised he hasn't knocked himself out multiple times -- or perhaps he just doesn't feel the difference.
Totally agree. But that does not mean he is intentionally trying to injure players or stupid, and certainly does not mean his comments were intended to mean he will have to find a different way to inflict injury.
Leading with the head is a natural instinct when trying to make a hard hit.

Again, that is fine, but a history of hitting high on receivers to spearate the ball just doesn't add up to enough fro me to conclude a player is stupid, or will try to end a players career.

Call me naive but I thought the best way to separate the ball from the ball carrier was to, like, hit the ball which typically isn't carried on the helmet (David Tyree not withstanding). :confused:

Then someone should tell Meriweather that receivers don't carry the ball with their heads anymore, and maybe he should aim for the body on occasion.

I can't believe anyone is actively defending this turd and portraying him as a clean player.

AndyJohnson will argue most anything. Occasionally, he's even right. ;)

Call me naive but I thought the best way to separate the ball from the ball carrier was to, like, hit the ball which typically isn't carried on the helmet (David Tyree not withstanding). :confused:
Of course, but when you are hitting a moving target on the run and trying to time when the ball arrives, it is dumb luck to hit the ball, but a real good chance it will be above the shoulders.

Look its ridiculous to pretend that if a receiver is trying to catch a football the best way to disrupt him at or after the catch is to hit high and hard.

That is the point. The most effective football play now happens to be an infraction. To call a player trying to make the most effective play and sometimes committing a penalty may be bad judgment but certainly isn't 'the dumbest player in the NFL' or a guy on a mission to injure players indiscriminately.

And you think that tacklers always hit the spot they aim at?
Does that mean every player who has ever had a helmet to helmet hit is stupid and purposely trying to injure like you think Meriwhether is?
Are you seriously trying to tell me that banishing the ability to hit above the chest will not increase the amount of hits below the waist?
You do realize the goal is to stop the play, not to find the safest way to make contact right?

I don't think anyone is saying that every player hits the opponent exactly where they aim, but most are saying that there are times when a players is clearly targeting and taking out a head or a knee, and it is really obvious when they do, as it has been when Meriweather crosses his forearms in front of his chest and unloads on an opponents head, and he isn't missing his target he is hitting them right where he is trying to hit them and it is abundantly obvious. He is being fined and suspended for blatantly trying to injure opponents, not for mistakenly hitting them high. Trying to conflate Meriweather's deliberate attempts to injure with every other tackle in the game is patently absurd.

I don't think anyone is saying that every player hits the opponent exactly where they aim, but most are saying that there are times when a players is clearly targeting and taking out a head or a knee, and it is really obvious when they do, as it has been when Meriweather crosses his forearms in front of his chest and unloads on an opponents head, and he isn't missing his target he is hitting them right where he is trying to hit them and it is abundantly obvious. He is being fined and suspended for blatantly trying to injure opponents, not for mistakenly hitting them high. Trying to conflate Meriweather's deliberate attempts to injure with every other tackle in the game is patently absurd.
I just totally disagree.

I just totally disagree.

Clearly. It seems like you are actually trying to argue that there is no such thing as a dirty player or a dirty hit, and I think that everyone who watches pro sports knows that there clearly are both. Imo Meriweather is a clear cut example of dirty hits with intent to injure by a dirty player. And then he doubled down on it. If you think there is no such thing then there really isn't anything I can say that will change that.

Clearly. It seems like you are actually trying to argue that there is no such thing as a dirty player or a dirty hit, and I think that everyone who watches pro sports knows that there clearly are both. Imo Meriweather is a clear cut example of dirty hits with intent to injure by a dirty player. And then he doubled down on it. If you think there is no such thing then there really isn't anything I can say that will change that.
I understand what you are saying, and I do not agree.
Sure there are dirty players, in fact, it is probably the majority.
I'm saying that what Meriwhether does when he hit high is how he was taught and is the most effective way to defend a pass at or after the point of the catch. THAT is why he does it, not because he is trying to injure the player. I am further saying the hits to the head are incidental to the intention of hitting high to separate the ball from the receiver.
Finally, I am saying that it is ludicrous to conclued that his comments mean he intends to go out of the field and purposely end a players career with a knee shot because he is mad he cant concuss them, when it is obvious he is talking about the consequences that will follow from taking away high hits.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back