PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"It's for the cover up, not the crime" What cover up? Who did a cover up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cover up is clear.
Wells asked McNally, Jastremski, Brady and others many questioned.
They gave answers.
Wells didn't believe them, hence they covered up because they lied.

Wells operated from the assumption that what he believed (or was told) happened was fact, so anything disagreeing with the forgone conclusion was a lie.

What if Brady does sue for defamation? What will the spin be then. It has already been well publicized that if Brady does sue, it will give the League subpoena power to request his cell phone data.

To me, if Brady does sue and gives up his cell phone data, it only shows that Brady and Yee just didn't trust Wells with the data because they knew that anything on it would be spun to fit their agenda. In the court of law, it is far harder to impossible for the League to do that.

I can think of another person (Ray Lewis) accused of a cover up. However, in that case it was covering up a murder. He's now ESPN's media darling and even had a statue built! The hypocrisy of this is mind boggling.

Last edited:
What if Brady does sue for defamation? What will the spin be then. It has already been well publicized that if Brady does sue, it will give the League subpoena power to request his cell phone data.

To me, if Brady does sue and gives up his cell phone data, it only shows that Brady and Yee just didn't trust Wells with the data because they knew that anything on it would be spun to fit their agenda. In the court of law, it is far harder to impossible for the League to do that.

Handing my cell phone to Ted Wells so that he can use it to create evidence where none exists (he already judged Brady guilty by saying the 2 people texting 'he' must have meant Brady and there explanation that it was someone else, which was corroborated by that someone else, is not credible) and offering my cell phone as evidence in a trial in a court of law, are 2 very, very different things.

Handing my cell phone to Ted Wells so that he can use it to create evidence where none exists (he already judged Brady guilty by saying the 2 people texting 'he' must have meant Brady and there explanation that it was someone else, which was corroborated by that someone else, is not credible) and offering my cell phone as evidence in a trial in a court of law, are 2 very, very different things.

That's my point. People are spinning that Brady didn't give up his phone to Wells because he had something to hide. The reality probably is that Brady and Yee knew that any information given to Wells would have been twisted to fit Well's agenda. It wasn't as much he didn't want to give up the texts. It was he didn't trust Wells with those texts.

That's my point. People are spinning that Brady didn't give up his phone to Wells because he had something to hide. The reality probably is that Brady and Yee knew that any information given to Wells would have been twisted to fit Well's agenda. It wasn't as much he didn't want to give up the texts. It was he didn't trust Wells with those texts.

And he was right.
Wells decided to put the whole thing about Jastrmeski and the 50000 yard jersey in there, for no apparent reason. I'm sure Brady, like me and everyone else, has texts on his phone sent to one person that are not complementary of another person. No doubt those would have been made public.
As Yee said, they could have chosen texts to give them, but they knew they would not take them as legitimate.

The whole thing is absurd. Volin is out of his depth and doesn't have the mental capacity to understand what is and isn't a cover up.

A cover up is when a person who committed wrongdoing was/is actively trying to be deceitful, deceptive and redirect the investigating party from learning the truth.

While I can understand the optics of Brady not turning over phone/text records and Jaz and McNally getting their facts messed up during questioning looks bad, with the PSI measurements and lack of hard evidence (or even circumstantial IMO) showing McNally manipulating footballs, there is no hard evidence of a cover up. Period. End of story.

If TB12's texts say that "hey, these balls are 13, lower them to 11.5) and did not want to share them, that IMO is behavior that shows the intent to cover up.

He needs to go research what happened with Watergate. Now that was a cover-up.

Not probably. This is fact. Yee said this.

The "coverup" is the failure to allow the NFL to interview McNally for a fifth time, supposedly after they had received the texts. This appears to be a lie because the Patriots delivered Jastremski's phone (and others) to the NFL's forensic experts on January 21 or 22, before the investigation started.

Well let's be fair -- just because Renaissance got the phone on the 22nd doesn't mean Wells had the texts at that point.

I assume it's been covered in other threads by now, but since this is about the "cover up":

Per a league source, McNally was willing to be questioned again by phone, but the NFL declined the offer. For a variety of reasons — including the fact that he’d been ambushed at his home by ESPN’s Kelly Naqi based on a perceived leak from her husband, a former league-office employee who now works for the Jaguars — McNally didn’t want to submit to yet another face-to-face interview.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...me-made-it-easier-for-nfl-to-hammer-patriots/

Florio says that half of what people are calling a cover up never happened. They could have interviewed McNally again. They just decided not to because he wanted to do it by phone. How is that a cover up?

Well let's be fair -- just because Renaissance got the phone on the 22nd doesn't mean Wells had the texts at that point.

I think I am being pretty fair, more so than any of the Patriots accusers deserve.

First, a really minor point, the Report says they got it on January 21st or 22nd, not necessarily on January 22nd. Second, Wells starting asking for the fifth McNally interview on February 28th, over five weeks after the NFL got the cell phones from the Patriots. You can find that on page 28, footnote 3 of the Report. Jastremski's cell would have been the most important because he was the most important witness of those whose cells were turned over (given his known relationship with Brady) so we can assume that Wells would have asked that his texts be produced first. It's a few days maximum for a forensic expert to cull texts from a cell phone, even if they were all erased. I know this because I have hired an expert to do this on more than one occasion. Oh, and by the way Wells never reveals when he got the McNally texts from the Pats.

I don't buy it - it is more probable than not that Wells wanted another bite at the apple or had some other ulterior motive. Ironically, the texts seem to be pre-textual. Either that or Wells and his crew ****ed up by not asking the right questions on the other four interviews and tried to cover it up in the Report.

And the discovery process against the NFL and its rats would be a hoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes