PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's early for this, but if the Bears let Grossman go, i'd like him as a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me tell you this if Tom Brady and Bill Belichick can turn Grossman into a good quarterback God can hand over his duties to these two.

ha nice.:singing:

Grossman has proven himself to be a bad QB. Cassel has yet to prove himself either way. I'd say our guy is the one with the upside, in the comparison.

yep, didn't think anyone had the sack to agree with me.

I'm convinced there are a few people out there who just don't have the balls to post it on an anonymous internet message board (for whatever reason)

So, because guys (and gals) here dont agree with you, it's because they dont have the balls to agree with you, when, in actual fact, people like really dont agree with you and had the balls to be objective in the first place.

I REALLY don't agree with you. Honest. Scouts honor.

Why would I want to bring in an inept, tragic excuse for a QB when we have Cassel and Gutierrez who can be moulded here. Why not see what they're about? Grossman would demand more money too no? Rex Grossman will stay ******ed. Why would Grossman even come here anyway when he probrably won't even feel the ball. I'm sure he will be given an oppertunity to start for somebody stupid enough to take him and f*ck up their offence anyway. Somebody totaly backwards like the fins or even the Jets may have a look.

You sound like you need a tissue. People will disagree, sport is a very opinionated world. Just the way it is.

Smile, it's christmas (almost).

I could care less if you people agree with me or not, i just think it's ridiculous that you are all assuming that a QB can't learn from Tom Brady or BB and play better on this team.

I've said many things in the past that people on this board whined about, went crazy over and said i was an idiot. So i could care less who agrees with me. Time and time again i've been right about my ideas and the threads usually get deleted.

I just think people don't have th balls on here to post what they really think.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.

Why is everyone so down on Cassel? Seems to me that once he gets in the rhythm of a game he is solid. I'm really not worried about the backup position until Cassel's contract is up.

Actually, for a while there we were quite optimistic about Cassel. Then we saw him play.

Its a matter of money Keegs. Grossman would want more money than the backup position is budgeted for. He could be a backup sure, but for millions less, you get someone who is also quite capable of doing the job.

Its a matter of money Keegs. Grossman would want more money than the backup position is budgeted for. He could be a backup sure, but for millions less, you get someone who is also quite capable of doing the job.

I'm not so sure about that.

Grossman has proven to be erratic and injury prone. How much money can he possibly expect?

It could be a bad system for him and bad luck, or he could just suck in general.

I just refuse to believe that he wouldn't improve on this team.

I'm not so sure about that.

Grossman has proven to be erratic and injury prone. How much money can he possibly expect?

It could be a bad system for him and bad luck, or he could just suck in general.

I just refuse to believe that he wouldn't improve on this team.

He may improve, yes. But with so few opportunities to play in a game situation, there would be a huge doubt every time he stepped on the field. Which Rex shows up? IMO the best trait in a backup is the ability not to lose a game. Manage it, put the team in a position to win. Not sure if gunslinger Rex has that trait. Not sure if being a backup would give him the opportunity to gain that trait.

I also think he would demand alot of money for a backup. Maybe not started $$$, but more than average.

I don't know whether Grossman could make the Patriots as a backup, but I'm pretty sure that a QB who's gone to an SB isn't look for a backup job.

I am quite bullish on Guttierez, but we also have David Greene on the PS I believe. Rex Grossman is like Dave Wannestadt--he's a QB that you wish upon your enemy.

Greene was released a few weeks ago.

As for Cassel, he's still the ultimate question mark. To paraphrase what was said about him before, Cassel could be one of the top five QBs in the NFL--he just happens to be behind (IMNSHO) the best QB of the Super Bowl era. And, FWIW, if Belichick felt Cassel wasn't earning his keep, he wouldn't be a Patriot right now.

Actually, for a while there we were quite optimistic about Cassel. Then we saw him play.

Have you seem 80% of the other QBs in the league play? They're not any better.

Does anyone actually think that if Cassel was not a capable back up BB would keep him around? Why would he? He's released more high profile players than Cassel.

BB is always trying to improve the team. At a positions such as QB, he would bring in someone better if he thought Cassel was not capable.

Does anyone actually think that if Cassel was not a capable back up BB would keep him around? Why would he? He's released more high profile players than Cassel.

BB is always trying to improve the team. At a positions such as QB, he would bring in someone better if he thought Cassel was not capable.

You insufferable koolaid chugging homer...you're just satisfied to take the word of some genius with a handfull of stinkin' (gorgeous) rings when great fanboy minds with mindnumbing track records like Keegs exist on this very message board to challenge your sackless perceptions?

Awright!!!!!!!!! :rocker:

It's not such a bad question and does deserve some thought, even though my initial reaction is OMG no.

But

Lets examine the positives:

For the better part of last season (first 8 games or so) Grossman was playing very very well and considered a lock for the pro-bowl and even being mentioned as a possible MVP. So we know he has moxie and mechanics.

He has a big arm, possibly stronger than Brady's and when he is on his game pretty accurate.

He has fire and guts, proven on the many comebacks from bad games.

Seems to have the backing of his team mates, even when things are not going well (maybe there are more blown coverages which expose him than we can tell).

He's still young and ambitious, but is not likely to get a starter's job on anything other than a scrub team.

Now the negatives:

Inconsistency, he can play exceedingly well on one game (or even a half) and then come out playing pop warner (poorly) the next.

Tries to make the big play instead of taking what the defense gives him. A long drive full of short yardage is not his style.

Lacks vision too many times. Sometimes he appears to have the nous to scan the field, measure the defense and make his play, and then others when he almost rushes his check downs and panics by throwing into deep coverage.

Lacks patience, partly covered above, but instead of being cautious when his game is not firing on all cylinders he assumes that all his skills will return the next play. Summing up he doesn't play within himself.

Over-confident, which probably amplifies and accelerates all the negatives.

So back to Keeg's question - would he merit being a backup to TB next year?

It will of course depend on money, and even though he cant get a starter job on a good team, will likely be looking for relatively big bucks.

Can he learn patience? Probably and sitting behind TB,watching and learning would help him become a better player.

Could he throw to Randy, Ben, Jabar and Donte on deep routes? Absolutely

Could he throw to Wes, Kevin, Laurence and Kyle in the slot or flats? Most of the time, but depends on how he developes his patience.

Can he learn to view the field better? I am not sure as vision seems to be a gift of nature rather than nurture and would have to say no.

Summing up he is good in parts, and may get better in parts. I very much doubt that he would ever become an elite QB or even top 10, the vision and patience is lacking. Is he worth paying a few million over a couple of years until we know what we have with Guttierez, or would we be better sticking with Cassel until 2008? Possibly but I also think that Brady would prefer Cassel and in the end it is all about chemistry and upsides.

I am still not sold on Cassel, its those happy feet, but I still prefer him over Sorgi and most other backups (even more than some starters). There would have to be a bigger reason to bring in Grossman other than replacing Cassel, and making the big play doesnt quite cut it.

It's not such a bad question and does deserve some thought, even though my initial reaction is OMG no.

But

Lets examine the positives:

For the better part of last season (first 8 games or so) Grossman was playing very very well and considered a lock for the pro-bowl and even being mentioned as a possible MVP. So we know he has moxie and mechanics.

He has a big arm, possibly stronger than Brady's and when he is on his game pretty accurate.

He has fire and guts, proven on the many comebacks from bad games.

Seems to have the backing of his team mates, even when things are not going well (maybe there are more blown coverages which expose him than we can tell).

He's still young and ambitious, but is not likely to get a starter's job on anything other than a scrub team.

Now the negatives:

Inconsistency, he can play exceedingly well on one game (or even a half) and then come out playing pop warner (poorly) the next.

Tries to make the big play instead of taking what the defense gives him. A long drive full of short yardage is not his style.

Lacks vision too many times. Sometimes he appears to have the nous to scan the field, measure the defense and make his play, and then others when he almost rushes his check downs and panics by throwing into deep coverage.

Lacks patience, partly covered above, but instead of being cautious when his game is not firing on all cylinders he assumes that all his skills will return the next play. Summing up he doesn't play within himself.

Over-confident, which probably amplifies and accelerates all the negatives.

So back to Keeg's question - would he merit being a backup to TB next year?

It will of course depend on money, and even though he cant get a starter job on a good team, will likely be looking for relatively big bucks.

Can he learn patience? Probably and sitting behind TB,watching and learning would help him become a better player.

Could he throw to Randy, Ben, Jabar and Donte on deep routes? Absolutely

Could he throw to Wes, Kevin, Laurence and Kyle in the slot or flats? Most of the time, but depends on how he developes his patience.

Can he learn to view the field better? I am not sure as vision seems to be a gift of nature rather than nurture and would have to say no.

Summing up he is good in parts, and may get better in parts. I very much doubt that he would ever become an elite QB or even top 10, the vision and patience is lacking. Is he worth paying a few million over a couple of years until we know what we have with Guttierez, or would we be better sticking with Cassel until 2008? Possibly but I also think that Brady would prefer Cassel and in the end it is all about chemistry and upsides.

I am still not sold on Cassel, its those happy feet, but I still prefer him over Sorgi and most other backups (even more than some starters). There would have to be a bigger reason to bring in Grossman other than replacing Cassel, and making the big play doesnt quite cut it.

You should have stopped after your initial reaction:D

For me i think BB values Intelligence, Discipline and Hard work in his QBs far more then a great arm and athletic ability, He chose Brady over Bledsoe not because Brady could throw the ball further then Bledose but because Brady is a better QB then Bledsoe due to the above traits.

So for a backup other then Cassell i would think he would look at a guy like Sage Rosenphel (sp) for the Texans assuming Sage is smart enough. He is careful with the ball and can make all the throws.

Rosenfels had a decent game last night. Infact, he's done pretty well when he's come in this season with decent numbers. Threw some risky passes last night but other than that pretty steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe