PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's a secret: Steelers cut players but won't reveal who

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually they're doing the cut players a favor, genius. their agents can start making calls before the deadline. hilarious that a pats fan would criticize another organization for how they treat their players.

And just which players have the Patriots "mis-treated???"

Also, until the paperwork is submitted to the league, the agents for those players CANNOT start making calls to other teams. Its against the CBA to do so. Especially if the team that supposedly is going to release them, turns around and doesn't do so.

I agree that it's kinda strange, which I noted several times, but it's dumb to call them classless dirtbags over it. That just reeks of having an irrational dislike for a team.

I'm with you -- it's not so much classless as clueless. Mr. Tomlin needs a refresher course at the Bill Belichick School of Revealing Nothing. You don't actually say "I'm hiding information from you to eke out a strategic advantage." That's hopelessly bush league. :)

Not a big deal in the long run.

Wow, I didn't think you were this much of a simpleton, so let me explain. Read twice if you need to.

The cuts are already public. See, the media in Pittsburgh tends to follow the Steelers quite closely, especially as players leave the facility. So all the names of the cuts have been posted in various local reports. And of course that gives the players an extra day to prepare for their next career move, and gives those players' agents a day to start making calls to other teams.

That doesn't mean Tomlin is an idiot and will volunteer the names to be scrolled across the ticker for every FO around the league to see and evaluate, when no one else is doing so until the deadline tomorrow. There was also talk of possibly trading a veteran for draft picks or OL depth which might allow them to retain one or two of the cuts they really wanted to retain.

Read between the lines next time. Not everything you hear in a PC is the whole story.

There are some problems with your interpretation.

1) When a player is going to be cut, its not official until the league receives it.
2) If the player has (I believe) 3 years or less experience, he has to sit on waiver for 24 hours. During those 24 hours, the other 31 teams in the league are notified that the player is available to be claimed.
3) If the player has more than 3 years of experience, then his agent can start talking to team immediately after league confirmation. However, when the league send the confirmation to the agent, its also sent to the other 31 teams in the league.

So, for Tomlinson to think that he's keeping something secret from other teams is just stupid because the league informs them of the cuts.

Cuts made prior to the deadline are typically considered to be done out of courtesy to the player. However, the reality is that its not discourteous to the players who are cut last because it shows that they were much harder cuts..

Before you go insulting people, you might want to consider whether or not people are going to take seriously an Orange ball with a propensity for jumping around and accomplishing nothing.

irony is funny.

by the way the native city of the poster is listed under the poster's name. keep working towards that GED.

First of all, that is not the native city that is listed under the poster's name. That is the current city of residence. The "native" city would be the city where the person was born.

Again, before insulting someone, you might want to know what you are talking about... Which you haven't shown you do.

WTF did Tomlin do wrong? Not publicly announce his cuts? NOBODY in the entire league, including the Pats, have publicly announced their final cuts. If the Steelers are dirtbags for it, then so are 31 other teams. I don't like the Steelers either, but at least pick a reason that makes sense.

The only thing that Tomlin did wrong was trying to act like he was some sort of genius by not announcing his early picks..

Are they dirtbags? Nope.

But its pretty stupid of Tomlinson to try and act like he's pulling something over on the 31 other Coaches in the league. And I believe that is the issue that people have.

Nothing you cited, that actually had a valid link, proves the poster's assertions incorrect.

Deus - I went to all the links that were provided and they all worked just fine.

As for proving NEGoldenAge's assertions incorrect, I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that a city that ranks amongst the best in the nation and the world and is one of the few that is currently growing during this poor economy is one of the trashiest in the world. The PEOPLE might be, but that doesn't make the CITY trashy.

Regardless, NEGoldenAge's assertions were dumb to start with and weren't on topic since they had nothing to do with Tomlinson being dumb for trying to think he was actually getting away with something.

The only thing that Tomlin did wrong was trying to act like he was some sort of genius by not announcing his early picks..

Are they dirtbags? Nope.

But its pretty stupid of Tomlinson to try and act like he's pulling something over on the 31 other Coaches in the league. And I believe that is the issue that people have.

What I posted yesterday:

Fair enough, I don't disagree with any of that. If there's anything notable about it in this case, it's that Tomlin talked about it. For all we know, Belichick's likely doing the same thing, but if anyone asks him about it he'll just say "we're doing everything we can to help make the team better" or some other purposefully vague response.

I mean, damn, even Rex Ryan hasn't talked about it, and I'm pretty sure that guy calls a press conference everytime he takes a ****. Nothing wrong with Tomlin being open about it- just unusual, and therefore maybe (but probably not) worthy of discussion.

Nobody's disputing the fact that it was odd that Tomlin decided to talk about it. That was a weird, and kinda dumb, move on his part. Everyone agrees on that. What I was taking issue with is NEGoldenAge's brilliant premise that this somehow makes Tomlin a dirtbag who coaches a dirty team from a trashy city (seriously, did this guy get mugged in Pittsburgh one time, or what?)

Last edited:
What I posted yesterday:

Nobody's disputing the fact that it was odd that Tomlin decided to talk about it. That was a weird, and kinda dumb, move on his part. Everyone agrees on that. What I was taking issue with is NEGoldenAge's brilliant premise that this somehow makes Tomlin a dirtbag who coaches a dirty team from a trashy city (seriously, did this guy get mugged in Pittsburgh one time, or what?)

BradyFTW - I wasn't disagreeing with your taking issue with NEGoldenAge. I agree that NEGoldenAge was way off the deep end with his garbage..

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back