PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Woodhead's Roster Spot As Safe As We Think It Is??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woody makes a good 3rd or 4th RB depth and I think he sticks another year.

What I don't want to see is Woody on kick returns....There are others on this team who are better for that job.

When was Ogbonnaya a valued member of a top three offense?

Yards by default makes your observation N/A.

When did Ogbonnaya have a chance to play on a top 3 offense?

Ogbonnaya put those numbers up as a starting back on a crappy team. He's younger and bigger than Woodhead. He'd actually have more of a chance to command something in a trade than Woodhead.

You're just overvaluing Pats players. It's OK, no big deal. Some GMs do it too, so maybe we would actually get something for him, 7th rounder maybe? It usually blows up in their face though.

Last edited:

Ogbonnaya put those numbers up as a starting back on a crappy team. He's younger and bigger than Woodhead. He'd actually have more of a chance to command something in a trade than Woodhead.

You're just overvaluing Pats players. It's OK, no big deal. Some GMs do it too, so maybe we would actually get something for him, 7th rounder maybe? It usually blows up in their face though.

When did Ogbonnaya have a chance to play on a top three offense?

Since he's been in the league, that's when.

This is the same mindlessness in the Matt Forte thread. "Stats" are not an accomplishment in a vacuum. They are a measure of contribution to a positive outcome.

When released, Woody was immediately signed and provided valued contribution to a successful outcome. He simply didn't produce "stats" by being a body inhabiting a certain time and space.

"Overvaluing" players in the top NFL offense.:confused:

Ian, please make it stop!!!!!!!!!!

Woodhead in 2010 was extraordinary, absolutely electric, as anyone with football eyes could see. Additionally, had he not been knocked out of the Buffalo game and had had 3 more carries, he would have had the top statistical year ever in Football Outsiders' system.

The coaches clearly recognized this, and coming out of training camp, he was the primary back in the system, getting lots of early down snaps. He led all runners with 7+ yards per carry with the first team in the preseason.

Then he got hurt, lost his burst, and was just a guy.

People forget that when healthy Woodhead is our fastest back, significantly edging out Vereen in college competitive track timing.

Question is whether he can stay healthy. Worse, teams know he vulnerable to concussions now, and go for his head. We'll see how they use him and he holds up this year. But in 2010, he was unbelievable.

Woodhead is signed for aother year for a decent salary. With Faulk probably gone, they may even want to extend him. Also, don't overlook Eric Kettani from the RB mix. I think he ends up on the PS before Bolden.

Worse, teams know he vulnerable to concussions now, and go for his head. We'll see how they use him and he holds up this year. But in 2010, he was unbelievable.

Do we play the saints :eek:

What I don't want to see is Woody on kick returns....There are others on this team who are better for that job.

I agree, as do many others. Especially on your point regarding KR duties.

I think his use may have had something to do with the situation regarding the use of Edelman in the secondary and maybe even McCourty's use as both a CB and S.

In other words, we could have survived with a possible injury to Woodhead last yr, but as injuries and poor play piled up Edelman and McCourty were too non-expendable.

I think we will see someone else taking more KR duties this yr, although Woodhead may certainly still get some looks too at times. I'm sure the improvement of ST's was something that Belichick wants to focus on, seeing as how they had some problems in certain areas.

When did Ogbonnaya have a chance to play on a top three offense?

Since he's been in the league, that's when.

So, you're either arguing the Browns had a top three offense, or that Woody makes the Pat's a top three offense. Nice.

"Stats" are not an accomplishment in a vacuum.

Which is precisely why Ogbonnaya's 2011 is more impressive than Woody's.

"Overvaluing" players in the top NFL offense.:confused:

Ian, please make it stop!!!!!!!!!!

Being part of a great team makes it even more likely that a player will be overvalued by an outside observer. Look what the Seahawks paid for Branch. Clearly overvalued.

So, you're either arguing the Browns had a top three offense, or that Woody makes the Pat's a top three offense. Nice.

Which is precisely why Ogbonnaya's 2011 is more impressive than Woody's.

Being part of a great team makes it even more likely that a player will be overvalued by an outside observer. Look what the Seahawks paid for Branch. Clearly overvalued.

In other words, your problem is you think completely bassackwards.

In the real world, a whole is a function of the parts. Until that's grasp, you should plan an extended stay in hopeless land.

LOL

Since arriving here, Danny Woodhead has played more snaps than any other RB.
Call him what you want, but he is the RB that plays the most in our offense.
There is no one on the roster better at the role he is in there for than him.

Since arriving here, Danny Woodhead has played more snaps than any other RB.
Call him what you want, but he is the RB that plays the most in our offense.
There is no one on the roster better at the role he is in there for than him.

Andy

Is that you overrating Patriots players??????????

I don't think Woodhead is at all a sure thing thing, not so much because Woodhead is not a good player , but more related to the new coaching staff.

Josh McDaniels is much more a big tough backfield Offensive Coordinator. Protecting Brady and hammering away on short downs may be the new approach.

There are several big backs in the mix this year suggesting that Josh is going to a big, punishing running game and get back to the Corey Dillon/Antowain Smith approach.

And this is shown how??? What "big/tough backfield" did McDaniels have when he was here previously?

McDaniels had the luxury of McGahee and Jackson at his last two stops. He doesn't have that here.

Ridley might develop into a lesser version of McGahee, but neither Vereen, Woodhead or Addai are "downhill" runners. And it's going to take Bolden 1-2 years before he cracks this line-up unless he just absolutely blows everyone away.

Neither Larsen nor Fiametta (who I think are both locks) are true RBs. They are more of the blocking full-back.

I was just saying this the other day elsewhere. I think Vereen is the key in taking away snaps from Woodhead. Bolden is the only big back they have, and he looks good to be a ST player - and potentially short yardage back - so he's on the 53 IMO if he has a good camp. It would be very risky if they tried to get him to the PS.

It always amazes me when people don't know the players on their own team. Ridley is actually bigger than Bolden. Ridley is 5'11 1/4" and 225lbs. Bolden is 5'11 and 220. BOTH are considered downhill runners, though Ridley showed a lot more evasiveness than people expected last year.

So, no, Bolden isn't the only "big back" on the team. And he's got almost no shot of making it unless he really outshines Addai and Woodhead.

His production is easily replaced...which is why he has no trade value.

How much would you give up for Chris Ogbonnaya?

If you are going to make a comparison, the least you could do is make it a relevant one. Chris Ogbonnaya, while the 3rd RB on the Browns, is a down hill runner and part-time FB. Which is a different skillset than Woodhead, who is a scat back. Not to mention that Woodhead does kick returning and kick/punt coverage, racking up 7 STs tackles when he wasn't injured.

To say that Woodhead's production is easily replaced is an overstatement. It CAN be replaced. How easily depends on who steps up. If neither Addai nor Vereen step up, then what happens? There is no one to replace that production.

Only Edelman was better based on YPR. It remains to be seen if anyone else is as good or better than Edelman or Woodhead on kick returns..

Run for the hills!! Broonz has his red pen out and he's blasting!! :eek:

Ogbonnaya is NOT a starting back. The only reason he started was the injury to Hillis. And Ogbonnaya put up 90 and 115 yards on the Rams and Jaguars. Two of the worst run defenses in the league. YOU could have put up those numbers against those poor run defenses. In his other two starts, against Houston and against Cinncinnati, he had 13 and 3 carries respectively. YEAH. He's got a LOT going for him there.. :rolleyes:

The only person over-valuing a player is you on Ogbonnaya..

Despite being a year younger than Woodhead, Ogbonnaya has a TOTAL of 15 games in 3 seasons (he was either on the PS our out of the league in 2010) since entering the league. Woodhead has been in 40 games in 4 seasons, missing most of 2009 with an injury.

I guarantee you that Woodhead has more trade value than Ogbonnaya.

Woodhead in 2010 was extraordinary, absolutely electric, as anyone with football eyes could see. Additionally, had he not been knocked out of the Buffalo game and had had 3 more carries, he would have had the top statistical year ever in Football Outsiders' system.

The coaches clearly recognized this, and coming out of training camp, he was the primary back in the system, getting lots of early down snaps. He led all runners with 7+ yards per carry with the first team in the preseason.

Then he got hurt, lost his burst, and was just a guy.

People forget that when healthy Woodhead is our fastest back, significantly edging out Vereen in college competitive track timing.

Question is whether he can stay healthy. Worse, teams know he vulnerable to concussions now, and go for his head. We'll see how they use him and he holds up this year. But in 2010, he was unbelievable.

While he appeared to get his bell rung late last season as player refer to it, he never appeared on an injury report with a concussion. His issues last season were said to revolve around ankle and abdominal injuries.

http://www.kffl.com/player/19635/nfl/injury_history/danny-woodhead

Last edited:
Woodhead was the team's best RB in 2010. In 2011, he was clearly affected by injury (or something) early on, yet he still finished the season at 4.6 ypc. Taking a look at his YPC for all the games, we can see that he had a lower than 5.0 ypc only once in his last 8 regular season games, after reaching that 5.0 ypc only once in his first 8 regular season games.

Does this mean that Woodhead's a lock? Probably not, given the nature of the position and BB's take on competition. It seems to me as if it's going to take one heck of a camp/exhibition season for someone beat him out, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand