PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Woodhead's Roster Spot As Safe As We Think It Is??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
*If you think this is insane, don't flame me, I'm only asking a question*

But, is it? What if there's a scenario where UFA Brandon Bolden preforms very well, Addai resurges and say Vereen takes over Woodhead's role as a 3rd down back. Do you guys see any possibility of Woodhead being the odd man out??

Anything's possible, but it's pretty damn unlikely.

Woodhead plays Special Teams. Belichick likes versatility. His spot may be safe, it may not be. We'll have to see how the other backs perform in training camp to make that assessment.

One of Woodhead's virtues is that, besides being a fine "starting" shotgun back, he's a solid reserve as an all-purpose back.

He actually seems better in that role than Faulk ever was, despite being Faulk's inferior in blocking (perhaps due to size) and receiving (perhaps due to Faulk's awesomeness).

Last edited:
He's a real versatile player who does a lot of things really well. I'd be extremely surprised if he doesn't make the team but if he doesn't, I'd bet any amount of money that he'll be picked up within 10 minutes of being cut by another team - and make that team. I'm guessing the title of this thread is a contradiction. It should read "Is Woodhead's Roster Spot As Safe As You Guys Think It Is?" because if the author was one of those who believes his spot is safe, the question would be moot.

why do some many people here want to cut hte productive players for unproven rookies. It gets rather annoying

why do some many people here want to cut hte productive players for unproven rookies. It gets rather annoying

Some people think the grass is always greener on the other side.

But, is it? What if there's a scenario where UFA Brandon Bolden preforms very well, Addai resurges and say Vereen takes over Woodhead's role as a 3rd down back. Do you guys see any possibility of Woodhead being the odd man out??

I think the likelihood of all of those things happening is pretty unlikely.

Woodhead is pretty safe to play out one more yr here, in my opinion.

We have competition, as we should at the position, but I'm not sure that it's quite as deep as you may be inferring.

Vereen, Ridley, Woodhead are all locks IMO. Addai is probably pretty safe too. That would leave one of the FB's to take over the 5th spot, probably Larsen as the frontrunner.

Bolden would be a heavy candidate for the PS at this point, unless he plays absolutely lights out, in which case he may battle Addai and Larsen for the last spot.

Not gonna happen,he's a quality back who plays special teams. Also Bolden has practice squad eligibility. Now,if Bolden blows up in the Preseason and looks like a monster and we are scared to risk sending him to the PS then Addai might be in trouble.

Every productive player was once an unproven rookie that some team was smart enough to recognie as a better player than the veteran ahead of him.

I don't think Woodhead is at all a sure thing thing, not so much because Woodhead is not a good player , but more related to the new coaching staff.

Josh McDaniels is much more a big tough backfield Offensive Coordinator. Protecting Brady and hammering away on short downs may be the new approach.

There are several big backs in the mix this year suggesting that Josh is going to a big, punishing running game and get back to the Corey Dillon/Antowain Smith approach.

Last edited:
Every productive player was once an unproven rookie that some team was smart enough to recognie as a better player than the veteran ahead of him.

But how often are those vets versatile and productive NFL players in the prime of their careers?

But the guy that would be cut is Addai not Woodhead. I think Larsen and Woodhead makes the team ahead of Bolden,

We'll keep woodhead around just to serve as a reminder to the Jets that they cut their best RB

I was just saying this the other day elsewhere. I think Vereen is the key in taking away snaps from Woodhead. Bolden is the only big back they have, and he looks good to be a ST player - and potentially short yardage back - so he's on the 53 IMO if he has a good camp. It would be very risky if they tried to get him to the PS.

If Larsen is kept as a FB/ST that puts a bit more strain on the position re the 53. I like Fiammetta's blocking better, but Larsen is better in every other way, and he's worked for our OC.

So I think it comes down to Woodhead (who wasn't near as elusive as the previous year) vs old man Addai - fine blocker, can still catch the ball, will not get many carries - and of course any other FA/camp cut BB brings in.

Will Woodhead be cut? Not a slam dunk either way IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Also if the math for the 53 comes down to RB or WR. WR wins and RB loses - yet more pressure on Woodheads slot.

Last edited:

Perhaps it's because Woodhead was already showing signs of not being to hold up to the pounding last year.

Also, BB constantly moves on from players that appear to be productive. He's more about now and the future then now and the past.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's because Woodhead was already showing signs of not being to hold up to the pounding last year.

Also, BB constantly moves on from players that appear to be productive. He's more about now and the future then now and the past.
Woodhead suffered a bad ankle sprain early in the season which clearly hampered him, but from the middle on he was productive. Between offense and special teams, he was on the field a lot. Scored a TD in the SB, as well. Look, I'm not saying he's an All-Pro caliber player, but he's not competing with All-Pro caliber players at his position, either. He's a good football player who, in my opinion, contributes a lot to the team's success.

I hope Woodhead remains on the roster though I hope Bolden can beat out Addai.

He's a proven guy who knows the offense, has been productive in this offense, he plays special teams, he's still young and has a bright future, the other backs on the team haven't proven themselves yet so depth at the position is important and he makes a very reasonable salary.

Damn man bolden hasn't even played yet and people are already ready to put him on a crowded roster lol.

Woodhead has a role on the team. I don't know of another back on the roster who can make himself "small" like Woody. Shifty and almost invisible with hands are good traits to have. Also, if Bolden proves himself in camp and pre-season, I'll take youth over Addai. If Addai looks like the RB he used to be, it will be a tough choice. Bolden is PS eligible so he could make the PS if he shows what he can do to BB and the coaching staff.

Pats are in good shape at WR and RB. Not alot of teams have tough choices to make regarding depth.

If Pats were to cut Woodhead, how fast do you think he would be picked up by the Jets... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes