PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this why Ridley didn't start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what we know: When Ridley's on the field, for one reason or another, the Patriots offense kicks into gear. He had 14 carries for 79 yards and a touchdown Sunday. On drives in which Ridley had carries, the Patriots scored five of six times, including all 27 of Sunday's points. On the three drives in which Blount had carries, the Patriots scored once, and that was Ridley's 3-yard TD run in the fourth quarter.
5 takeaways from the Patriots-Dolphins game - Extra Points - Boston.com

Stupid if true. Almost as bad as benching Welker in a playoff game (but letting him field a punt before that series). You're penalizing the team/fans more than you're penalizing the player anything, I'm not saying the entire 2nd half turnaround was because of Ridley being in there but his impact is obvious.

Ohh I'm saying it was. This offense was flat the whole game, passing game couldn't get started. Then Ridley breaks off the 20+ yard run. It gave our offense life.

OK, I would rather have Blount have more reps in the 1st half and Ridley more in the 2nd.

We simply have different positions on this.

I'm not sure what your position is. Blount is sluggish and slow. He's also 250 pounds. Unfortunately, he's also not a good short yardage back, he's better in the open field.

In the second half , when defenders are tired (especially from trying to tackle a dynamic back like Ridley) a big back can punish them for trying to make arm tackles.

I believe that Ridley would be better in either half, but have no idea why blunt would be preferred against a fresh defense.

Looking at that video, I could plausibly see a connection between that play and his benching. It's one thing to do something obnoxious in the EZ after you score a touchdown, but to do something BEFORE the touchdown, however subtle, is clearly putting yourself ahead of the team.

************ so you can't rub it in the faces of the Jests when you score a TD?

Pathetic, this team not allowed to play with an attitude at times it what irks me about BB sometimes.

For me shoving it in their throats makes it much sweeter when you back it up. Brady does that kind of stuff all the time, he never gets benched does he?

There's 'attitude' and then there's stupidity which could result in crippling 15 yard penalties and actions which can cause fights on the field.

It's all speculation, but it wouldn't amaze me as it's something we have seen Bill do in the past. He'd have my support too.

************ so you can't rub it in the faces of the Jests when you score a TD?

Pathetic, this team not allowed to play with an attitude at times it what irks me about BB sometimes.

For me shoving it in their throats makes it much sweeter when you back it up. Brady does that kind of stuff all the time, he never gets benched does he?

You make an assumption then use that assumption to get all indignant and rip BB. Something about your logic here is a bit off, not to say self-serving.

Maybe so but what about benching Welker? Was that not stupid on Bill's part?

It might seem "stupid" from afar in a fan's perspective, but none of us know what goes on behind closed doors between BB and the team. I think BB wants his players to conduct themselves professionally and not like attention-baiting immature clowns on the field. What Ridley and Logan Ryan did vs. New Jersey was unnecessary. And Ryan got fined $10k by the league for his moronic display. Who needs that silly crap?

stop calling BB and the Pats "stupid"...everyone KNOWS the Pats have team rules that apply to EVERY player, no matter their skill level.It has gotten them THIS far the past THIRTEEN YEARS. I don't like it as a fan either BUT it's the Patriots way of doing things and has been since BB took over. It's NOT stupid. It's big picture thinking, strategic thinking. We are just fans, we have to live with it.

Every player except for Brady. I don't remember him getting benched after screaming in Suggs' face a couple of years ago. That could have drawn a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. But, then again, benching Brady for that would have been ******ed. Just like keeping our best RB on the sidelines while the Dolphins built a 17-3 lead was ******ed.

It boggles my mind how we don't have Ridley play 90% of the snaps until the game is out of hand. I just don't understand what BB's problem is with him. The guy is our best RB by miles and he clearly scares the **** of out the other team's D. Yet we hold him back.

Today, we started playing better around the same time he started getting snaps. He completely changes our O and how the other team plays us. How can BB not see this?

Do you want to win the first half, or do you want to win the game?

Your second to last sentence is an inadvertant stumble onto the truth.

Last edited:
Seeing as how both Ryan and Ridley were used sparingly in the first half yesterday (Ryan not at all) and both had taunts against the Jets, I'd guess it was disciplinary. But Ridley needs to be out there. The guy gets the offense moving and Blount just doesn't. Ridley should be getting 20+ carries a game at this point.

What happened to situational awareness? When the dolphins were dominating on the O and pats drives were sputtering, don't you guys think it is savvy to put in the best play maker on the field. If I remember correctly, Ridleys 20 yard run was the one that sparked our O in to a rhythm.

So even assuming that Ridley/Ryan did something against team policy, aren't there other ways to punish them, like team fines etc?

Putting the team in such precarious position against a division rival @ home doesn't seem like a right decision at that time. For players, a little bit of emotion goes a long way in terms of their on field performance.

Again I'm just a fan keeping my living room couch warm during the game, what do I know. I just felt wrong

I have no issues with discipline, if that is what this was. Celebrate once you cross the line, but not before. This guy, not that many games ago, cost the Pats 6 points with his lack of ball control. He is still a relative rookie, but inviting contact before the endzone is not what I want to see, especially after issues this preseason and season with fumbles. It shows confidence, but it also shows cluelessness. If he misreads the defense behind him, he would not be the first person to lose the ball while showboating before getting 6. I seem to recall something like that happening to Tyrone Poole after an interception. If Ridley's showboating resulted in a turnover, and it almost certainly would if the ball came out, then I expect few of his advocates would be celebrating his running.

He is very talented, but I often wonder, when BB comments on strip drills practiced daily by the defense, if he still cannot hold the ball during those drills and thus presents an ongoing liability.

I have no issues with discipline, if that is what this was. Celebrate once you cross the line, but not before. This guy, not that many games ago, cost the Pats 6 points with his lack of ball control. He is still a relative rookie, but inviting contact before the endzone is not what I want to see, especially after issues this preseason and season with fumbles. It shows confidence, but it also shows cluelessness. If he misreads the defense behind him, he would not be the first person to lose the ball while showboating before getting 6. I seem to recall something like that happening to Tyrone Poole after an interception. If Ridley's showboating resulted in a turnover, and it almost certainly would if the ball came out, then I expect few of his advocates would be celebrating his running.

He is very talented, but I often wonder, when BB comments on strip drills practiced daily by the defense, if he still cannot hold the ball during those drills and thus presents an ongoing liability.

Discipline is one thing, but you don't bench your best runner and one of your best offensive weapons before a divisional game. That's the second dumbest disciplinary decision that I've seen (with the Welker benching to start the 2010 Divisional game being the first).

I'm all for enforcing discipline and if that's what not using Ridley and Logan R was that's fine. I'm just looking at that play and not seeing much of anything if Bob Deerdouche doesn't make a point of it.

I started the thread, but if I thought it was noticeable taunting I would agree with it. That's why we win and teams that let their players act like jackasses lose.

It was noticeable (to me) at the time. Watching it on this video it wasn't as obvious, for some reason -- not sure if it's the small screen on my laptop v the TV or what.

But I didn't like it when he did it, partly because of the taunting but maybe more because I want a player to get in the end zone without any screwing around so that he definitely gets in (as rare as other occurrences may be).

a blind deaf dumb D co-ordinator would bury us in the playoffs if we keep showing this tendency....
Only because it was horribly stated.
Every team has formations that are most pass happy and formations that emphasize the run more. Using a different RB in those formations is common place.

Looking at that video, I could plausibly see a connection between that play and his benching. It's one thing to do something obnoxious in the EZ after you score a touchdown, but to do something BEFORE the touchdown, however subtle, is clearly putting yourself ahead of the team.
Clearly he was held out of the first quarter. He was in immediately on the Patriots 1st drive of the 2nd quarter.
However, I find it silly to think it is because of the TD run. I would bet a lot of money that he was late for practice, broke a team rule, or something to that effect.

Every player except for Brady. I don't remember him getting benched after screaming in Suggs' face a couple of years ago. That could have drawn a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. But, then again, benching Brady for that would have been ******ed. Just like keeping our best RB on the sidelines while the Dolphins built a 17-3 lead was ******ed.
Almost as stupid as pretending you know why and passing judgment based on that guess.

Discipline is one thing, but you don't bench your best runner and one of your best offensive weapons before a divisional game. That's the second dumbest disciplinary decision that I've seen (with the Welker benching to start the 2010 Divisional game being the first).
So discipline is good unless you decide that having the player is more important than upholding your discipline standard, which therefore means you have no standard and no discipline?

Clearly he was held out of the first quarter. He was in immediately on the Patriots 1st drive of the 2nd quarter.
However, I find it silly to think it is because of the TD run. I would bet a lot of money that he was late for practice, broke a team rule, or something to that effect.

Logan Ryan was also held out. He also engaged in taunting. From there I don't think it's too much to assume that the two incidents/resulting disciplines are somehow related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes