PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this defense for real?

bormio

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Some of recent defenses have started great, only to end up paper tigers. Now the Browns and the Lions aren’t the Bills, but their QBs are experienced and the Browns have a strong running game that we throttled. Front 7 play seems more nasty than in recent years with more people contributing. Secondary making a ton of plays. Somehow this defense seems sounder and more likely to show up later in the year. So the question is - is it a mirage?

Far too early to say. I’d say that they are, at least, a good defense. I won’t say they are an elite one until they consistently show it against good offenses and QBs. And no, Jared Goff doesn’t count.

I don't know what "for real" really means, but I'll say this: I won't believe in this team's ability to stop Josh Allen until I see them do it without the aid of nature. I do believe in their ability to handle most opposing offenses and give the Patriots offense a chance to win games.

It could be, the DL and DBs are playing at a level that I hoped for with my fingers crossed, but I think that LBs will prevent the defense from being anything approaching elite.

The defense is playing much better, but lacks depth. At some point in the season, our lack of depth will hurt us.

I think they are good. How good is hard to tell since they haven’t really faced a good offense other than the Ravens. Unfortunately, we probably won‘t know until they face the Bills and Vikes in late November.

It is encouraging that the coaching staff lets players rest a game or two when they are dinged up. No panic - using the complete depth which bodes well for later in the season.

Remember The Bogeymen?
Most of us would qualify a 'for real defense' as one that can take away a game from a 'for real offense'
Until that happens the jury on this D is out

Remember The Bogeymen?
Most of us would qualify a 'for real defense' as one that can take away a game from a 'for real offense'
Until that happens the jury on this D is out

I think the Boogeymen were for real, but they were old and got run down towards the end of the season when the opposing offenses got better. The one advantage this team has is that the defense is mostly younger guys save guys like Judon, McCourty, and Guy.

Secondary hasn’t seemed to miss a beat with the loss of JC
JC was always a bit overrated. Never saw him as a lockdown corner or one with real potential to be. He’s a #1 corner, just not an elite one. Or at least I think so, I don’t know how he has been doing with the Chargers.

Reactions: ALP
Bills will be the real test in primetime.

Bills will be the real test in primetime.
I am hoping bb makes their offense show us their “a” game in the two games we play them, then bb hits them a defensive answer in the playoffs!

Zappe has to just keep progressing over the next 11 or so games.

There's a level of ineptitude on offense in the NFL this year.

A lot of defenses look really good.

They can't all be good though.

Defense has seemed legit most of the year. We’ll see how they hold up through the rest of the year but they’re playing tight and smart

Assuming the defense stays healthy, the potential additions of Jamie Collins and possibly Cameron McGrone could improve them even more.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back