PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this defense a top 10 defense (hint: YES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that it is.

In 2013, they had the same amount as they do now (47), so I believe that's the closest it's been to this year's.
Jones still has an outside shot at getting the single season patriots record for sacks. He would need 4 sacks over the next two games to tie it

I suppose thats still theoretically possible, I thought his record was 16.5
All good. Willie's highest was 11.5. Keeping him at 8 mil on the option next year could be a daunting hurdle. The conundrum to getting him to stay long term is the more sacks he gets the more the price goes up.

Such as it is. Can only hope he's addicted to winning.

I hope they can hold onto Sheard. I also agree that bringing in eventual replacements for Ninkovich and Branch would be smart planning. Maybe the replacements are already here, but only BB (and Psycho D man, Patricia) have a grasp on that.

Also it's good to see Mayo getting more involved, but I think he's due a healthy sum next year. He's going to have to restructure unless he did and I missed it. It's been a crazy time this Summer/fall family wise, so I haven't been able to keep up as much as usual.

I hope other teams keep underestimating our D. That's a gift right there!

I hope they can hold onto Sheard. I also agree that bringing in eventual replacements for Ninkovich and Branch would be smart planning. Maybe the replacements are already here, but only BB (and Psycho D man, Patricia) have a grasp on that.

Also it's good to see Mayo getting more involved, but I think he's due a healthy sum next year. He's going to have to restructure unless he did and I missed it. It's been a crazy time this Summer/fall family wise, so I haven't been able to keep up as much as usual.

I hope other teams keep underestimating our D. That's a gift right there!

Sheard's under contract for next year, so there's that anyway.

Next year's defense is going to be top 3 in football.

DL:

R. Ninkovich
Ch. Jones
D. Easely
A. Hicks
M. Brown
J. Sheard
A. Branch
T. Flowers
S. Siliga
Chris Jones

LB:

J. Collins
D. Hightower
J. Mayo
J. Freeney
J. Bostic
R. Johnson
G. Grissom

DB's

M. Butler
L. Ryan
P. Chung
D. McCourty
D. Harmon
L. Johnson
T. Brown
D. Roberts
T. Wilson
N. Ebner
D. Richards
?. Coleman

That's a great young defense on the way up.

Next year's defense is going to be top 3 in football.

DL:

R. Ninkovich
Ch. Jones
D. Easely
A. Hicks
M. Brown
J. Sheard
A. Branch
T. Flowers
S. Siliga
Chris Jones

LB:

J. Collins
D. Hightower
J. Mayo
J. Freeney
J. Bostic
R. Johnson
G. Grissom

DB's

M. Butler
L. Ryan
P. Chung
D. McCourty
D. Harmon
L. Johnson
T. Brown
D. Roberts
T. Wilson
N. Ebner
D. Richards
?. Coleman

That's a great young defense on the way up.

Why do you assume that all the free agents will be re-signed?

Our D will probably take a hit next year. Have to lock up HT and especially Collins at the expense of maybe Mayo etc. Ninko is getting old in football years and Hicks is potentially playing his way out of our price range.

It all seems manageable but I dont predict better than these last 2 seasons and the lost draft pick hurts our restocking.

Why do you assume that all the free agents will be re-signed?

Because they are in good cap shape and there's no reason to let them walk. Could they lose a couple, yes . does it change my outlook, not a bit.

Five burning NFL questions entering Week 16

Remember last season, when we all went on and on about the Patriots defense, led by a shutdown secondary? That pass-defense, while obviously elite in talent, allowed 239.8 yards a game to rank 17th. The group as a whole was 13th in total yards allowed (344.1 yards per game), 9th in rush-D (104.3 yards), and 8th in scoring defense (19.6 points).

This year, New England is better across the board. Through 14 games, the Pats are giving up 19.2 points (T-6th), 326.1 yards (6th), 230.3 passing yards (8th), and 95.8 rushing yards (10th).

The Patriots have 47 sacks – led by Chandler Jones’ 12.5, which ranks him fourth in the NFL – already seven more than last year’s total. During Sunday’s dismantling of the Titans, they had five sacks and forced three turnovers. That came one week after a six-sack performance against the Texans. All the more impressive, they’ve done it as Jamie Collins, Jabaal Sheard, Dont’a Hightower, and Dominique Easley have each missed at least three games.

As noted by ESPN’s Mike Reiss, New England’s defensive pressure and aggressiveness, along with their depth, physicality, versatility, and talent, harkens back to the days of a 2003 front seven that featured Richard Seymour, Willie McGinest, Tedy Bruschi, Roman Phifer, Ted Washington, and Bobby Hamilton.

Those 2003 and 2004 teams were loaded from the inside-out, and the formula is working again this season. Even if some of the names aren’t as glamorous.

Our D will probably take a hit next year. Have to lock up HT and especially Collins at the expense of maybe Mayo etc. Ninko is getting old in football years and Hicks is potentially playing his way out of our price range.

It all seems manageable but I dont predict better than these last 2 seasons and the lost draft pick hurts our restocking.

Give this defense another season together and they ate going to be much better. Not sure why anyone would think they will get worse?

The lost draft pick probably would've been on offense. That side of the ball needs much more youth, talent, and depth than the defense.

Even if it was used on a defensive player who turned out to be real good, that's more of a loss to the 2017-2020 Patriots than the 2016 squad.

Here's what amazes me most: assuming health, and given the strong seasons Butler, Ryan and Chung have had, where are the weak points on this defense? What kinds of formations are they ill-equipped to match up with? And who are you yearning to upgrade among this 15-man core group?

DT: Branch, Brown, Hicks
DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Sheard
LB: Collins, Hightower, Mayo
S: McCourty, Chung, Harmon
CB: Butler, Ryan, Johnson

They're not all elite units, but the sheer completeness and versatility of that roster is pretty imposing.

You neglected to mention Easley -- but anyhow, any issues with the guys you mentioned come down to age and affordability. Plus, of course, depth -- every unit you listed will in certain packages all be on the field at once (least crucially the DTs), so none of those guys is strictly depth and rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back