PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this defense a top 10 defense (hint: YES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing about this defense is that the types of turnovers we get (forced fumbles) are far more attributed to skill than luck (interceptions). Even when our defenses from 2010-2012 had tons of interceptions we still gave up a lot of points and when the playoffs came those interceptions disappeared. We haven't had very many INTs this year and our defense is still whooping ass. If we start snagging some INTs in the playoffs games are going to get ugly.

I think that's backwards. Fumbles tend to be more about luck than interceptions.

This is a good article on it:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Guest Column: Turnovers and the Unpredictability of Defense

But yes, we've dropped a ton of INTs this season. It's only a matter of time.

I think forcing a fumble is a skill. Recovering a fumble is luck.

I'd agree with both of those statements. Certain teams practice it more and certain players have a real knack for it. Peanut Tillman made me a believer.

At the same time, these are small sample sizes and there are lots of plays that are outside of the control of the defense. Consider 18% of fumbles in this analysis were from aborted snaps.

The definitive analysis of offensive fumbles

Had absolutely nothing to do with the defense. The highest percentage of fumbles, almost 1/3, came from QB sacks, and a team does have a lot of control over it's OL and protections for the QB.

So skill plays a part, but there's an element of luck as well, and in such a small sample size, it's bound to distort the results.

So who's everyone's top 5 defensive players on the team?

For me it's:

1. Collins
2. Hightower
3. Jones
4. McCourty
5. Butler

#8 in points allowed? I'm surprised by that. They were only responsible for 14 against the Eagles, so it shouldn't be the Eagles game that did it (unless the metrics stupidly apply ST and pick sixes against the defense). I'm guessing it was the Donks game. They were #1 or #2 just before the Denver game if I recall.

The offense is great, don't get me wrong, but I'm back to how I was in 2003-2004; more excited to see the D take the field than the O. Nothing against the O, but seeing this group come together has been a treat. With Hightower coming back at some point and eventually McCourty, this D is going to be lethal in the playoffs. Everyone fears Pittsburgh, but I like our D's chances against them.

By the way, two things stand out about this D by my untrained eyes: open field tackling. Even if it's just a shoestring tackle sometimes, it seems pretty rare for an opposing player to beat one of our defenders in the open field. The other thing is how our ends are setting the edge. Outside runs are almost a no go now.

The QB pressures are ridiculous too and are helping our sceondary as well.

Butler's closing speed...

Ryan's awareness....

Sheard!!

Ok, need to go get a towel...

Yeah, the stats do include ST scores and pick 6's. The defense has actually given up fewer points.

So who's everyone's top 5 defensive players on the team?

For me it's:

1. Collins
2. Hightower
3. Jones
4. McCourty
5. Butler
I'd flip Hightower and Collins; as well as Jones and Mccourty. But it's nice to see this team have so much talent on defense again

I'd flip Hightower and Collins; as well as Jones and Mccourty. But it's nice to see this team have so much talent on defense again

It's a fun question, I bet you'll get a ton of different orderings of those 5 players.

I'd say Collins is the most talented, Hightower is the smartest and field general (obviously given the green dot), but Butler might be the one we can least afford to lose. Again I can definitely see counterarguments on all of these.

I was watching the Superbowl vs the Eagles last week and was marveling at how much talent we had on defense, just all of these legendary Patriots all playing together on the field. Wonder how much we'll be talking about this defense in ten years.

Yeah, it's a Dream Come True!! :D

The way the SeaHawks worked something like 7 Guys as a Crew in 2013 ~ rotating'm in and out and keeping everyone fresh and Explosive ~ was how I've always dreamed of doing things.

The Fact that Mad Bill is so intensely focused on Excellence with evidently no regard at all to How He's Been Doing Things ~ to the extent that he can beat a Team in The Greatest Super Bowl Ever Played and yet learn from them...is perhaps the most defining Testimony to his Greatness that there is.

He has to a great extent adopted the Platoon approach to the Defensive Front Line that his estimable SeaHawk Foes had deployed to such extraordinary Advantage in building a Championship Season and annihilating the Donkeys in 2013...and it is indeed a Joy to Behold that The Greatest Student of this Great Game ~ That would be Mad Bill Belichick, for Those Of You Scoring At Home!! :D ~ has once again improvised, adapted, and overcome, to the tremendous Benefit of his Team...and his devoted Fans!!
beer.gif

My Name is Gunny HighWay...And I Approve of This Message.

Clint-Eastwood-8-American-Slander.jpg
If you remember, I was really big on a DL rotation before last year's draft and improving the physicality in the back end, particularly at the other safety position. So yeah, I was right there with you.

If you remember, I was really big on a DL rotation before last year's draft and improving the physicality in the back end, particularly at the other safety position. So yeah, I was right there with you.

Spot on, Brother!! Spot on!! :D

This defense has so much talent. Young, athletic, physical. They are built to be good for a long time.

Statistically speaking, the 2015 defense is better than the 2014 defense.

Sacks: 2015
INTs: 2014
FF: 2015
PDs: Tie already @ 81...2015
PPG: 2015
Qb Hurries: 2015 (78 to 68 and 3 games left)
20+ yard gains or > : 2015 has fewer
YPP: 2015
Yards per rush: 2015
Yards per pass: 2015

Last edited:
That's only according to Yardage, which only the drooling Idiots on TeleVision and NFL.com ~ and those otherwise brilliant Fans who quote them ;) ~ give a rat's Ass about.

On the other hand: If you back out Special Teams & Defensive TouchDowns ~ which should be automatic, but again: The NFL is heavily populated with Idiots ~ then we're probably about 5th.

You could also make a very strong ~ and winning ~ Argument that no Team Defensive Ranking which fails to account for Average Starting Field Position is complete...But that's another matter.
th_coffee.gif

Another matter that's very important is the strength of each team's opponents, especially now that each team plays totally different schedules than 12 other teams they're being compared with in the AFC and 16 more from the NFC. Of the 7 teams that have allowed less points than the Pats, Seattle (8) and KC (T4) played tougher schedules while Carolina (T28) and Arizona (T31) played much easier ones. How could we measure that?

I come from a completely different place when it comes to defensive rankings anyway. I believe that it's the job of every one of the 53 players to keep the opponent from scoring, even players on offense and ST's. The Philly game was a great example of why it all matters. If Ryan Allen simply slows Sproles down on the punt return he doesn't score a TD. If the blocking on the blocked punt was better they don't get a TD there either. But, they didn't DO THEIR JOBS and Philly scored. They still might have scored anyway though, but they didn't have to do it vs the defense those times.

Is Akiem Hicks under contract in 2016? I would love them to lock him up. Both him and Easley gives us a fearsome pass rushing tandem from the Inside...that's what we have been lacking for years.

Is Akiem Hicks under contract in 2016? I would love them to lock him up. Both him and Easley gives us a fearsome pass rushing tandem from the Inside...that's what we have been lacking for years.

Nope he will be a FA. He's probably going to get a pretty penny thanks to us (and himself of course).

Nope he will be a FA. He's probably going to get a pretty penny thanks to us (and himself of course).

They should at least explore locking him up now for a few years. If they can't do it and he is determined to go to free agency, so be it. But at least have the conversation.

Thanks: really suck's not having a First Rounder guys like Hicks just don't fall off trees. Well atleast we have Malcom Brown who is just getting better and better as we speak.

Thanks: really suck's not having a First Rounder guys like Hicks just don't fall off trees. Well atleast we have Malcom Brown who is just getting better and better as we speak.

Agreed. If it helps console you, probably 80% of the draft forum was fawning over Hicks three years ago.

Seriously, and think about the fact that our two best players (Collins and Hightower) haven't been on the field at the same time since early October.

Early in the season when they were both on the field the front seven looked bad ass. If we can get all of our dinged up guys back for the playoffs I think this defense will be the difference maker in a SB run. We haven't seen what they can be yet.

Statistically speaking, the 2015 defense is better than the 2014 defense.

Sacks: 2015
INTs: 2014
FF: 2015
PDs: Tie already @ 81...2015
PPG: 2015
Qb Hurries: 2015 (78 to 68 and 3 games left)
20+ yard gains or > : 2015 has fewer
YPP: 2015
Yards per rush: 2015
Yards per pass: 2015
To be fair to the 2014 version, they did face a tougher slew of opposing QB's and aerial attacks. Not denigrating the 2015 squad. I love how they punish the opposing quarterback. I'm just saying that context is important when comparing the two.

Agreed. If it helps console you, probably 80% of the draft forum was fawning over Hicks three years ago.

Well the 80% grovelling wasn't misplaced;) Hicks is really good the total package when he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back