Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is this article on ESPN real or a joke? (merged)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by KDPPatsfan85, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#51 Jersey

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  2. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Re: This BSPN writer is smoking crack

Not even going to click on it. Thanks for the contribution.
  3. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 2 / -0

#17 Jersey

It's a satire column. Read the bottom of the article.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just don't get this idea that Brady can't be a great football player because he married a supermodel. I hear it all the time and it just baffles me. It's seriously one of the dumbest things I've EVER heard.
  5. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

yea, we all know how all of the great QBs are washed up at 32, like

Montana... nope
    Marino... nope
    Elway... nope
    Unitas... nope

Well, I guess almost none of the great QBs are ever washed up at 32. Except the Mannings, I hope.
  6. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#51 Jersey

Brady isnt Romo!! He's used to having super model girlfriends. Romo is with Jessica Simpson and Romo cant even win a playoff game!
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Jessica Simpson does not even come close to Gisele Bundchen on just about every level.
  8. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#51 Jersey

I agree! Brady has been dating super models for a while. Romo gets one celebrity gf, gets whipped and thinks more of Simpson than the game! you wonder why Simpson doesnt go to his games anymore!
  9. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -1

You know, RETARD is a really offensive word.
    Children suffering from mental retardation did not chose that condition. They do not harm anyone, in fact, if you spend time with them, it is usually rewarding.
    To use the term RETARD as a derogatory criticism of someone who is not handicapped is to say they are so far beneath you that you would compare them to the RETARD because you are better than him. After all you weren't born with that disability, so aren't you great.

Ironically, you called a guy writing a SATIRE article a RETARD because you werent intellingent enough to understand HE WAS KIDDING.
  10. StraightCashHomey81

StraightCashHomey81 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does he know that Brady has been an offseason workout leader every year except for 2008 since our last super bowl. yup espn just ignore the facts as usual
  11. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 2 / -0

#17 Jersey

And on that note I'll kill this thread.
  12. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I don't think that people are aware that it is offensive to people that have special needs children, and we do have several posters here that have them.

I know that I was not aware of it until I saw a member here say something a year or two ago. Since then I've received a couple of PM's from posters regarding the use of that word by others.

It's a word that I have just never used but others do without being aware that could be hurtful to some others. It's not being PC to be considerate to those who are dealing with something that most of us don't have to deal with.

So, now more are aware and hopefully will try to use a different word when posting.
  13. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

14. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The identification of the author at the bottom may be a clue:

DJ Gallo is the founder and sole writer of the sports satire site SportsPickle.com. He also is a regular contributor to ESPN The Magazine and has written for The Onion and Cracked.
  15. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

There is a thread already pertaining to this in the main forum

Merge ....
  16. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

17. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Of course it's real. It's the offseason and the writers need something to write about.
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nice article, looks like it's almost exclusively targetted at the sportswriters and commentators who berate him for actually doing something with his life outside of football- and with a beautiful woman no less.

Tongue in cheek and a thinker, but nice read.
  19. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

LOL another thread on this satire article.....anyway guys since when did start freaking over espn articles :confused:
  20. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Sadly, it appears that many posters are immune to such "clues." :rolleyes:

So in answer to the thread title question:

IT'S

A

JOKE

21. Ghost of Ben Dreith

Ghost of Ben Dreith Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You are sadly mistaken. The author writes satire for a column/web site "Daily Onion". This piece was not a satire piece for the Onion....it was a piece written for page 2 BSPN.

Read it again, I was wondering what the heck you were talking about, there is no satire in there.....and "little hats" is not satire.
  22. crowell33

crowell33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

People think Brady has to be the same guy he was when he won the Superbowl in 2001, 2003, and 2004. Not true. Even if Brady doesn't get his parking spot anymore for hard work at the off season workouts, and even if he is jet setting around the world to parties with a supermodel, I don't care, I'll take him over any other QB in football.
  23. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

I know it's the (slow) off-season, but if somebody is upset about what somebody else wrote, then what is being accomplished by bringing attention to that column, writer and website? All that ends up happening is the writer and site are rewarded with more hits and page views, which translates to more ad revenue for the site and more pay for the writer. If people really don't like a writer or site, the best thing you can do is ignore him and say nothing about the column, whether it is here, at work, school, at the bar, wherever.

I heard a sports talk show host comment recently that he loves receiving e-mails from listeners about how much they hate him, because every one of those e-mails is like money in his pocket; it's proof to his bosses that people are listening and paying attention.

We have this thread, the Peter King thread, the deleted thread yesterday about a Bleacher Report article - all up at arms over perceived slights to the Patriots. I know the natural inclination is to respond, but one thing spygate should have taught us a year ago - aside from the fact that espn should be avoided - is that a response is exactly what the writer or website is looking for. No response, no debate, no controversy, less page views - and the columnist will eventually have to find something else to write about.
  24. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Stay away from ESPN page2. It is all either a bad attempt at comedy or purely opinion based columns not worth reading.
  25. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I think I've figured out the problem: the article isn't funny, therefore people assume it must be serious. That's giving the writer too much credit, alas. He aimed for a joke and failed pathetically. It happens. (Not to me of course, but I've heard of such cases.)
  26. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

This correctness craze, and people getting offended at the drop of a hat is getting really old. My brother has Downes Syndrome. My parents were President and Vice President of the Massachusetts Special Olympics for years, and I volunteer for the same.

Yet, I couldn't care less if somebody says 'this guy is retarded', or 'that was a retarded move'. Did it come across like he was belittling or attacking anybody afflicted with mental retardation? Not even a little. Lighten up. That holier than thou response is becoming ridiculously common, and pathetic.
  27. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Joke, satire, whatever - The more of this crap they spew, the more focused Tom will be.

These guys are throwing gas on an open flame. Maybe they know how this stuff affects him, maybe not - But it will be served.
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  28. Dirk3601215

Dirk3601215 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

you know what they say, dont throw stones from glass houses. there are other ways to handle that my man.
  29. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

After several threads lately, I feel compelled to provide "A Survival Guide For The Clueless"

1. If the writer is an "Onion" contributor or the article appears in the "Onion" it's satire or at least an attempt at satirical humor

2. If the article is in the "Bleacher Report" (sic) it's written by an 'adult' living in Mom's basement who has no life whatsoever. Ask yourself, "Why am I wasting MY life reading this garbage?"

more to follow...

EDIT: Sigh. I see that I cast my pearls before swine.
  30. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Unless you know Tom, you can't say that.

If you're talking about missing OTA's and last years participation, that was a one off, he's been there this spring. How do you explain that?

One very important thing to remember, Tom's not the only NFL star/player that's married and goes to parties. He's just the most marketable to the pap scum photog's.

The reason we see Tom and Giselle in TMZ, US and People Mags is solely about Money - That's it, bottom line.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.