Welcome to PatsFans.com

Is there really any point in running interviews with Patriots players?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ironwasp, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironwasp

ironwasp Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Witness this: Q and A with Asante Samuel as per Reiss. It's entirely devoid of anything interesting.
  2. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +582 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

That's the perfect Asante interview at this point, as far as I'm concerned. Name, Rank, Serial Number.:D
  3. ironwasp

ironwasp Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I don't disagree with it from the Patriot point of view. The way they work is fine. I just wonder why the media bothers.
  4. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +582 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

The funny thing is if they asked football questions, they'd get answers. When they start out gossipy is when players instinctively clam up.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  5. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +175 / 34 / -22

No Jersey Selected

Just like a BB press conference.

The only reason that BB holds PCs is because he has to hold them; otherwise, he wouldn't do it.

As for the players, I'm sure that there are many who would love to sit down and talk football, but they are told by BB not to do so.

And I'm also sure that there are many who would love to never see anyone with a notepad or microphone again.
  6. Christopher_Price

Christopher_Price Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think there is something to running Q&A's with Patriots players. I do it on the blog all the time--I think by seeing the questions, it provides some context for some of the answers you see in the paper or on TV the next day. And as for the answers, there's almost always something of substance. The Q&A I posted earlier this week with Jarvis Green revealed a lot of interesting stuff. He admitted he didn't always study film as closely as he should have, how differently he approaches the game as a starter as opposed to a bench player, as well as his feelings on being known as the best non-starting defensive lineman in the NFL.

They may not all be gems, but you can glean plenty of info from them.
  7. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Chris..isn't sometimes an out of the box approach a way to get answers as opposed to a straight one?? And certainly the non-football questions can also say a great deal about a player...I agree the Green interview was great!!
  8. Christopher_Price

Christopher_Price Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yes--some of my favorite interviews have been with players when they're talking things other than football in a nontraditional setting. (David Patten talking about Madden and Don Davis talking about his faith are two of my favorite examples.) But as a reporter, you have to measure the tone and tenor of the situation--an outside the box approach isn't going to work all the time.
  9. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Dan Pires got Vrabel to say something juicy. It isn't about another team, but I think many here will find this interesting.

10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

LOL, I loved this one.

Do you have good memories of facing the Jets?
    "The past is the past. It's a new year, a new situation. You never know what's going to happen."

That's a classic answer. Do you suppose they have classes where they get taught how and when to put out these "standard" answers.
  11. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +321 / 5 / -5

My favorite question:
    :rofl:

I'm also wondering what wisecrack(s) Vrabel made about Pires himself ;).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.