PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there a problem in the FO here???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I saw that on PFW.

Let's say you have a Name, like Keyshawn Johnson. Regardless of how you get it - great football, writing books, always having a quote, etc. - you can market it. You can take any attitude you want once your Name is marketable in addition to your skills.

He's probably right - New England probably will not pay him for his name. One reason I was surprised the Pats and Moulds have any contact, is for just this reason. Anybody want top dollar for a Name, talk to Dan Snyder. The 'Skins will pay you all day long and twice on Sunday for your Name. They will also lose their minds over their great season, when they make it to the divisional round of the playoffs (obviously a cause for soul searching in New England.)

If you're looking to count for 5-10% of a team's cap, keep looking. Let the word go forth from this time and place, that the torch has been passed to a new model of football team, one that will not spend on the superstar, but will make the ordinary player a star. We choose to turn seventh round draft choices into #1 receivers (on other teams), not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

It is also the only way to build and maintain excellence in the National Football League in the salary cap era.

I remember everybody saying the old idea of a dynasty was over, with free agency, the cap, and parity being the buzzwords of the day. Then came New England. And make no mistake about it, every time we win a SB, the league tries to play catchup. Notice all those 3-4 base defenses, hmmm?

Okay, bonus babies. You may be worth twice what the next guy is worth. You would get paid that, in the Pats' model. But you are not worth 5 times what he is worth. Notice how the Pats still made the playoffs, and went in with a full head of steam? No, it wasn't enough. Yes, they blew the Denver game. But the point made earlier, that the Pats were injury-ravaged, is a good one. Not as an excuse, but to point out what does work in this model. To wit, the sky did not fall when just about the entire secondary got hurt. The team did not curl up and die when Seymour was out. They lost some games, but they were back - even if some "fill-ins" were the guys out there in the end.

By the way, those guys have playing time as a result. In five years, I guarantee you some desperate Colts fan is going to pop up here and tell us we're through because Ellis Hobbs, Logan Mankins, and Bethel Johnson signed with them. The thing is, there will be others. Hard as it is to take for diehard Pats fans, we make signable commodities out of nobodies, and don't return the favor often (paying big dollars for other teams' work.) So we have to stock up on the kleenex for guys like AV and Willie Mac.

Whereas your Colts fans just buy kleenex in bulk right around December of every year.

Ranting again,

PFnV

PFnN
Nice Rant !!

yeah you like the Kennedy riff?

That was beautiful (sniffle). I'll need some more Kleenex when we win this years SB.

Winning takes an emotional toll on me.

I have no idea if there's a problem in the Pats FO. If you were a FA from another team and in search of a new team, why wouldn't you sign with the team that offered the most money? If the offers were about the same then other things might make a difference. Maybe you family is all in San Diego or something or the idea of living in Buffalo just doesn't thrill you. Or one team's chances of winning are better than another's. Rarely is a football player going to make the money he's going to make in the NFL after his career is over. So, why wouldn't you go where the money is best?

patpatriot said:
Ashworth comes here a nobody nothing bum. He gets good coaching and a gradual exposure to starting on an NFL OL. His team is successful so all the players visibility rises. He's fortunate enough to be associated with a real mensch named Brady who won't do commercials unless his OL teamates are involves resulting in even more visibility. He gets to catch a TD ... due to the Pats non-traditional approach. Thus a nobody who should be teaching shop and coaching a high school team makes a big score in the NFL due the Kraft/Pioli/BB regime. What was he losing out on in the years when he was under the Pat's control? Why wouldn't you want to come here and follow the same trajectory?

patpatriot,

So

Well

Said !

(b u t . . .

are you a player?)

Pats726 said:
The concern was not that it was from any media people....who I could care less about, but was from the Patriots Football Weekly people. They do have a bit more access and..may have a closer feel for what is going on...which is why I was a bit more concerned.
They mentioned how the AV situation might have gotten personal..and??? Who knows..I don't buy it, but I thought it should be mentioned...even to trash it.

Buck up, Stan!

No credible poster here - a category in which you are distinctly enrolled -
need cringe or duck when making a point a bit out of our mainstream ... or which
possibly would be unwelcomed by others.

You aren't saying that the speculation is fact. You are drawing our attention to an issue.
This one certainly deserves airing!

flutie2phelan said:
Buck up, Stan!

No credible poster here - a category in which you are distinctly enrolled -
need cringe or duck when making a point a bit out of our mainstream ... or which
possibly would be unwelcomed by others.

You aren't saying that the speculation is fact. You are drawing our attention to an issue.
This one certainly deserves airing!
Thanks F2P....with all the types of chicken little posts and rantings against the team questioning all the moves, I didn't at all wish to be thrown in with that..but not hearing any discussion about that from PFW was a bit of a surprise and I wished to get it out here. As I said, if it was a newspaper, TV etc...they have thier own axes to grind..but the Patriots own media people??? I think that was why I was a bit more concerned about that than usual...they themselves were concerned about that in the show..,Like what is it that is keeping FAs away..seems more than money etc.. We will all find out in time as the season approaches, but I just wished to get some opinions on it..the best is to listen..it's all available on Patriots.com....3/22 show..Thanks again. S/

Caspir said:
Players know they won't get top dollar to come here, and it's starting to take its toll. That "come here and win a ring" stuff is okay for some guys, but most can go somewhere else with the same opportunity. This isn't 2004/2005 when we're just head and shoulders above everybody. There's plenty of contenders. When players like Keyshawn say to the media, "... or I could go to New England and play for five bucks," that's not just one loud mouthed athlete talking trash. That's the eprception around the league.

You mean Keyshaw (just give me the damn money) Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back