Is the NFL fixed

• yes

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • no

Votes: 73 75.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im embarrassed to have this thread on the main page. (shakes my head)

Fixed? I don't know. But one thing is for sure; you have to be a blind idiot not to notice the amount of BS calls Manning & the Colts get. It's blatantly obvious and it's sickening. One example I remember is the '07 Divisional Playoffs against San Diego. The refs were calling phantom penalties constantly. What makes it funny is that they still lost. The referees are clearly trying to help them as much as possible.

And I'm not saying this because I hate the Colts. The massive amount of help they get from officials is the reason I hate them in the first place.

I don't think games are actually "fixed" but there are definitely biased refs who can individually give a team a few points here and there.

I don't know about that.

There are, however, certain reffing crews that are biased towards calling certain penalties, and certain teams that realize that.

Fixed? I don't know. But one thing is for sure; you have to be a blind idiot not to notice the amount of BS calls Manning & the Colts get. It's blatantly obvious and it's sickening. One example I remember is the '07 Divisional Playoffs against San Diego. The refs were calling phantom penalties constantly. What makes it funny is that they still lost. The referees are clearly trying to help them as much as possible.

And I'm not saying this because I hate the Colts. The massive amount of help they get from officials is the reason I hate them in the first place.

i can't disagree. if it comes out, down the road, that these guys are favoring teams(fixing)would it shock me ? not in the slightest.

Since there's a human element involved, there is probably some sort of bias involved-whether that bias is intentional or not, who knows? I've certainly some bad officiating over the years.

Question to the 16 people who apparently think the NFL is fixed: did you think that when we were winning Super Bowls?

Question to the 16 people who apparently think the NFL is fixed: did you think that when we were winning Super Bowls?

The other 31 teams did ... remember when they said we won because we were "The Patriots".

That was messed up.

Last edited:
The other 31 teams did ... remember when they said we won because we were "The Patriots".

That was messed up.

Agreed, and when people said that, I wrote them off as conspiracy theorists. Going to do the same here...

Fixed is probably a strong term. I would say more loose then anything. Teams still have to earn their wins, but I think it's pretty obvious that refs tend to call penalties to make the game more competitive. During the 2007 the Pats were called for the most ticky tacky fouls I've ever seen. In 2008, when Brady went down they set the all time record for least penalties? Coincidence? The only thing I dislike about the NFL is the lack of consistency in penalty calling whether it be on the field or in headquarters.

ok let me clarify this... the op asked bout games being fixed... i said yes for a few reasons... the 1st would come from superbowl 42... im assuming everyone watched the youtube video on the clock managment... who controls the clock???

the other ex is the bogus pass inter. call that was made on the pats this year when we was about to snap the undefeated streak...

I think you'd have a better argument with SB XL. But, no way you could rig these games and keep everyone quiet.

Anyways they watched the whole game with me and were COMPLETLY convinced the officials wanted the "Blue" (Colts) team to win

I remember that game, most notably the interception by Polamalu that he then ran back several yards, fumbled, which was then recovered by the Steelers. The refs called it an incomplete pass, giving it back to the Colts, unbelievable.

During the press conference later on Manning threw his line under the bus.

YouTube - Peyton Manning Crying (made by Larshus)

Anyways they watched the whole game with me and were COMPLETLY convinced the officials wanted the "Blue" (Colts) team to win

I remember that game, most notably the interception by Polamalu that he then ran back several yards, fumbled, which was then recovered by the Steelers. The refs called it an incomplete pass, giving it back to the Colts, unbelievable.

During the press conference later on Manning threw his line under the bus.

YouTube - Peyton Manning Crying (made by Larshus)

Same week a phantom PI call was made on Asante Samuel in the endzone against Denver's Ashley Lelie. When in fact Lelie was guilty of offensive PI and as Phil Simms said Asante Samuel was in good position.

Same week a phantom PI call was made on Asante Samuel in the endzone against Denver's Ashley Lelie. When in fact Lelie was guilty of offensive PI and as Phil Simms said Asante Samuel was in good position.

Good point, I forgot about that one. I just remembered another play in the 06 AFC game where one of our receivers was mugged by the Colts DB and there was no flag.

"Fixed" might be a strong term, sometimes games might be called completely fair but at other times the refs absolutely try to slant things to favor a team, watching just about any Colts game and you'll see this happen.

YouTube - Patriots robbed of superbowl vs. Giants

WE WERE ROBBED ON THE NFL's BIGGEST STAGE!!
I agree that the refs (ROYALLY) screwed the clock management at the end of SB XLII. I remember screaming at the TV that the clock should be running but IMO it's a HUGE leap to go from awful clock management to "fix".

After re-watching that drive yet another piece of me has died :steamed:

I can't believe I'm taking the question seriously, but here goes.

The odds that these games are fixed, given that it would be a federal crime with serious jail time, are extremely long.

I have no illusions about the integrity of the NFL or Goodell or anyone associated with the league from Owners and Players to wash room attendants and the valet parking franchise on game day, but the extent of a conspiracy to fix a game would require silence on the part of so many people (who would stand to make millions of dollars from tabloids and others for their story) that it is virtually completely implausible; put it at .0001% chance.

Are you're asking whether isolated officials, outside of any kind of organized "NFL" conspiracy, could have a bias towards a particular team that might be uncovered over time by careful analysis of their calls? Sure, but I think that base is already covered and the officials know they are being watched for stuff like that.

After re-watching that drive yet another piece of me has died :steamed:

:ditto:How can it still be so hard to watch after two years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft