• no

Votes: 73 75.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Intimidator

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I keep disputing this point we some people I know that it isn't. I want you're thoughts on this. Do you think the league is fixed. Explain why. I will give my thoughts a little later on.

Last edited:
No, but it might be broken.

I think football games are fixed... Its a business, you do wats good for your business... Plus I look @ the last few minutes of superbowl 42... I also see some of the bogus calls ref's make... ummm yea, fixed...

I think football games are fixed... Its a business, you do wats good for your business... Plus I look @ the last few minutes of superbowl 42... I also see some of the bogus calls ref's make... ummm yea, fixed...

What bogus calls? Did you even watch that game? There weren't any bogus calls at all. Give me some credible evidence and we will talk.

What bogus calls? Did you even watch that game? There weren't any bogus calls at all. Give me some credible evidence and we will talk.

i wasnt talkin bout bogus calls in the superbowl... i was talkin bout bogus call in any other game to swing the outcome to a certain team, ummmm mayb the colts and pats game this year...

i wasnt talkin bout bogus calls in the superbowl... i was talkin bout bogus call in any other game to swing the outcome to a certain team, ummmm mayb the colts and pats game this year...

:confused:??

By "Fixed" do you mean Spayed or Neutered?

Neutered? Yes.
Spayed? No.

ok let me clarify this... the op asked bout games being fixed... i said yes for a few reasons... the 1st would come from superbowl 42... im assuming everyone watched the youtube video on the clock managment... who controls the clock???

the other ex is the bogus pass inter. call that was made on the pats this year when we was about to snap the undefeated streak...

Yeah, I'd say there's fixing going on, especially the officiating. The NFL is a business and things are slanted in a way to bring in more money. I think the league wants Manning to have Brady's rings, Manning is a lot more marketable and he's a much better poster boy for the NFL, the league also doesn't want BB to be as dominant as he has been, he's essentially a Zero when it comes to public relations and having a BB team win isn't as good for business as a more appealing coach.

Give me some credible evidence and we will talk.

YouTube - The Big Game Bad Ref Officiating Call

YouTube - Phantom Pass Interference Call

There was a clip of Troy Brown being called for illegal contact in the 06 AFC game against Indy that was within the 5yds from scrimmage but it was taken down. Brown was also called for unsportsmanslike conduct when he tossed underhand the ball to an official a few feet away after a play, the ball slightly glanced a Colts player and he was called.

Also, look at Marvin Harrison spike this ball into Seymour's face RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIAL

YouTube - Colts vs Patriots 2006 highlights and Marvin Harrison insane catch

Did you see Tim Donaghy's interview on 20/20? He was talking about how he could predict who would win a game 70-80% of the time just based on which reffing crew was doing that game, not because they were fixing the game for money but based on their personal likes and dislikes of certain players, now if that can happen in basketball why not football?

Bad officiating is all over the place, it's almost become so pervasive that people don't mention it any more because it's so common.

Yeah, I'd say there's fixing going on, especially the officiating. The NFL is a business and things are slanted in a way to bring in more money. I think the league wants Manning to have Brady's rings, Manning is a lot more marketable and he's a much better poster boy for the NFL, the league also doesn't want BB to be as dominant as he has been, he's essentially a Zero when it comes to public relations and having a BB team win isn't as good for business as a more appealing coach.

There was a clip of Troy Brown being called for illegal contact in the 06 AFC game against Indy that was within the 5yds from scrimmage but it was taken down. Brown was also called for unsportsmanslike conduct when he tossed underhand the ball to an official a few feet away after a play, the ball slightly glanced a Colts player and he was called.

Also, look at Marvin Harrison spike this ball into Seymour's face RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIAL

Did you see Tim Donaghy's interview on 20/20? He was talking about how he could predict who would win a game 70-80% of the time just based on which reffing crew was doing that game, not because they were fixing the game for money but based on their personal likes and dislikes of certain players, now if that can happen in basketball why not football?

Bad officiating is all over the place, it's almost become so pervasive that people don't mention it any more because it's so common.[/QUOT

i didnt even notice the spike football... i have to agree wit u on this... it happens in every sport, like u said, it happens so much that people is blindsided by it...

Bad officiating is all over the place, it's almost become so pervasive that people don't mention it any more because it's so common.

This is pretty close to my feelings as well.

Matter of fact it wasn't long ago that i would have laughed this whole thread off as silly. But I remember being on vacation during the AFC championship game in '05. Steelers vs Colts, and watching the game at a bar with a group of ppl who admitted before the game that they were not big NFL fans. Anyways they watched the whole game with me and were COMPLETLY convinced the officials wanted the "Blue" (Colts) team to win. And honestly, watching how the officials were almost screwing with Piitsburgh's momentum in that game, I couldn't argue.

Fast forward to the Donaghy scandel. He mentioned that in one of the playoff games ( can't remember which one ) the officials for that game pre-determined who they were going to favor, for the interest of the NBA. That opened my eyes. Because i realized that sports is NOT just entertainment, but a business. And businesses will always do whats in there financial best interest.

Manning, being who he is, an NFL marketing magnet. Polian, who he is, Head of the NFL Competition committee. ( You know I work in a business that has alot of outside vendors that bid on jobs at my work. My company has a zero tolerance policy on employee/vendor relations, since it could compromise the integrity of the bidding process. They argue that a close relationship with a certain vendor causes a "conflict of interest". How is having a GM of a current NFL team, the head of a rules committee not a conflict of interest? Seems silly to me.) Do i feel they get coddled? Yes, I honestly do. I don't think the games are fixed per say, but massaged. I watched quite a few Indianapolis games this year and one thing i notice is when they get down. Some dubious calls come out of the woodwork. They may not be enough to straight up give them the game. But it's enough to turn the momentum of the game around.

Maybe it's just sour grapes for the Colts. It's possible. But it's something to keep an eye on. Everybody knows in Football, holding can be called on every play. Same with illegal contact, same with PI. It's up to the officials to make that judgement call. Personally I don't feel it's out of the realm of possibilty that outcomes can be "helped along" so to speak.

It's something to keep an eye on as the playoffs progress. While i don't think the NFL "fixes" games. i do think they will assist in "helping", if it's within the leagues best interest.

2002 Super Bowl: Bucs vs Raiders

I'm sure the NFL really wanted that.

I don't think it's fixed like pro wrestling is, but it's clear that certain teams get better treatment than others. In some cases *cough* Ravens *cough* teams get bad treatment because they deserve it, but in others it's probably because our moron commissioner once worked for a division rival.

The forum should take a break for even giving space to this inane thread.

Started by a guy who airs a sports show on a college radio station no less.

I think he's looking for some ratings on his home court.

My only two comments on this stupid premise:

1. If NFL games were fixed, Super Bowl 36 might be the best example.

2. If NFL games were fixed, why would you even waste your time watching them? By the way, it would be a federal crime to fix a sporting event.

Why hasn't this crap been moved to the practice forum where it belongs??

I don't think games are actually "fixed" but there are definitely biased refs who can individually give a team a few points here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots