PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the Bills-Steelers game irrelevant to AFC East Winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
May be somewhat surprising but the Bills outcome tonight will not impact the AFC East race whether they win or lose Unless I’m mistaken, here are the scenarios.

Bills lose to Steelers, dropping to 9-5. Bills would then need to beat Patriots, Patriots lose to Dolphins, and Bills beat the Jets. Both teams are then 11-5 and Bills win tiebreaker since Patriots loss to Miami gives Bills division tiebreaker edge.

Bills beat Steelers, improving to 10-4. Bills would then need to beat the Patriots, the Patriots lose to the Dolphins, and Bills beat the Jets. This gives the Bills a 12-4 record while Patriots finish at 11-5. (If the Bills lose to the Jets and Patriots lose to the Dolphins, Patriots win tiebreaker with both teams at 11-5...the Jets loss would swing the tiebreaker back again).

So to break it down, regardless of tonight’s outcome, the Bills would win the AFC East only if:

• The Bills beat the Patriots AND
  • the Dolphins beat the Patriots AND
  • the Bills beat the Jets
In other words, a Bills win tonight gives them one path to the division crown through best record; a loss gives them the exact same path through a tiebreaker. Rendering this game irrelevant to the AFC East race. Am I correct about this?

You are correct. Tonight means nothing to us if we assume no way losing to Miami week 17.

Win next week: #2 seed
Lose next week: #3 seed

You are correct. Tonight means nothing to us if we assume no way losing to Miami week 17.

Win next week: #2 seed
Lose next week: #3 seed
Well, or it could be lose next week: #5 seed.

This is why I’m going for the Bills tonight.

Knock Pittsburgh out of the playoffs. F them

No way the Steelers lose tonight. They win easily 21-7 with a defensive score.

Are we making this the game thread?

Miami is going to be tough week 17

If the pats beat Miami they win the division eegardless of anything else

I'm rooting for the Steelers as much as it pains me to do so. #1 goal is to win the division. A bills loss makes that goal easier.

This is why I’m going for the Bills tonight.

Knock Pittsburgh out of the playoffs. F them

I’d rather have the Steelers in the playoffs. If somehow we have to play them they’re weaker than those AFC South teams.

Well, or it could be lose next week: #5 seed.

Sure, if they lose to Miami. I was going with the realistic scenarios. I guess Baltimore could lose their last 2 making the #1 seed in play too.

it's not football Sunday until THIS guy shows up....

5473.jpg

it's not football Sunday until THIS guy shows up....

5473.jpg

I been around but man I just didn't have the strength for the GDT entitled whiners today.

uh oh...looks like our dawg just bit the shyts out that Buffalo corner...isn't he their best cover guy?

This is a very interesting take, do you have statistics to back it up?

While technically not stats, I do have 6 "3 Games to Glory" DVD's and no "4 Games to Glory" DVD's.

So am I correct that NE winning any one of their two remaining games gives them the AFCE?

Obviously beating BUF next week will do it, as that would guarantee NE the better record.

But if they lost to BUF and beat MIA they win the division, right? In the worst case they’d be tied with BUF in record and divisional record. But next is common opponents and I’ve read that NE has that locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back